Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the 1st topic in need of some help!! :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the 1st topic in need of some help!! :)
    Posted: 13 May 2007 at 10:25am
hey all, as u might know, i pciked up that psl amp the other day for 50 quid, its a ve 1200 600Wx2...

only am i gutted or what that it is infact fine on on channel and sounds gorgous on midtops, and the other channel is heavily distorted..

i have tried all diff inputs n ouputs...

no signal clips... but thats all fine

also tried switching on and off to see if its tempermental..

but no, that channel is very distorted...

i sed  2 the bloke ill have 35 quid back to get it repaired but it will cost a sh*t load more than that....

and he sed its too steep can i do 25,

so im just getting my cash back...

unless someone can help me out on here :(???

thanks guyssss
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 11:35am
If i were you, i'd accept the £25 he is offering, cos the amp cost you bugger all tbh, and get it repaired. Even if it costs ya £50 to get it sorted, your still in pocket, as the amp was soooo cheap.
Richard Hart View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 11:43am
I think distortion like that is often caused by blown transistors in the output stage. Your amp for £25 is still a bargin, you could probably sell it on ebay again and make a profit.

PM Charden for some advice on the amp, I think he's preety good with diagnosing/fixing problems.
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 1:02pm
thanks all
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 1:03pm
would it not mean that its been thrashed though... how lng till the other channel goes down??
Rockin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 1:29pm
Yeah it could mean the amp has took a hammering or simply a componant has failed. With anything second hand, and even new your never be certain how long something is going to last. Ive had new electronic equipment fail a PAT test and thats before they've been used at all.

If ya wanna sell it for what it stands you at, then gimme a shout  
DJ Coupé View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Coupé Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 4:10pm
Joe, just thinking, i might have the spare parts to make it happen.
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 5:38pm
ill call u later dude
Peter Moller View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2007 at 10:50pm

Your amp is broken - it could be anything from a shorted capacitor, a bad opamp etc. to a set of blown output transistors..

Repair costs will be anything from 25£ to 150£ or so... PM Chris Harden - he should be able to fix this amp for you at a reasonable price.. I would offer fixing it for you aswell, but shipping it to Denmark and back would cost more than its worth..

Still.. You got it very cheap, and even if you have to spend 100£ getting it fixed its a pretty good deal..

/peter
real phone no: +45 four zero six two four four nine eight ( using obvious anti phone spam encryption )
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 1:25am
I would accept any cash back from the guy, and seriously think about binning the amp, or not using it for any gigs.£50 should have told you amp is not right. Even stolen gear would cost more than that. 

Put it down to experience.

The only PSL amps I have seen have blown channels, or were blown sortly after my mates got them !!!

Wouldn't sell it on to anyone on ebay, cos if I got sold an amp like that, and  the person didn't say exactly what was up with it before hand, I would probably go back to the guy with a few friends, returning the amp,and demanding  my money back, and some more for my wasted petrol.

Edited by levyte357 - 14 May 2007 at 1:33am
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2007 at 9:56am
no no, the reason it went cheap is cuz he spelt it wrongly, he is a bar owner, i am getting a full refund.. and the other channel has become very tempermental now...

honestly though he named it a PS2 amp, had no idea it was buggered as he left me a msg shortly after picking it up saying can u leave pos feedback when you are happy with ur purchase.. it was just the fact that i knew about the amp a bit, but he didnt state anything about the model etc in the listing...

it was stated as fully working yes...

i could have been a general bargain and some of them are! ive had a few, just gotten unlucky though.

i have gotten together some more cash and am now looking at spending 110 or so on an second hand amp.

doesnt seem like anyones fault really, just wanted to see my chances of repair, but the psl seems tempermental from what ive heard in general so im just going to get the cash bk!

thanks all :)
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2007 at 2:24am
John Henrys used to Dissy PSL they may have service contacts.. Ex mate of mine Made the PCBs aparently PSL guys are VERY helpfull, poss call JH's (brewery road) and get PSL no and see what they think, then go bacl to your guy...

Soz it's fu**ed hate it when my toys don't go!
 Post Reply Post Reply