Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The best 'Classic' Mixer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 6:06pm
[QUOTE=jbl_man]I certainly wouldn't rate TUAC in the best classic mixer catagory,my experience of them in the 70's was lots of RF oscillation and instability when you turned the input gain or treble up....lost a couple of tweeter diaphragms due to that.

Ian, I had a TUAC for a few months, couldn't wait to get rid of it! Awful bit of kit.

But amongst the TUAC's and Saxons surely FAL must come high on the most horrible mixers top ten.

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 7:24pm
Dynacord M1:

Rodec MX180:

Bozak CMA-10/2:

Urei 1620:

[...]

Who the fu&k is Mr. Phanton, and why he has so much power!?
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 9:05pm
I love the look of that Rodec mixer not a bad price either at 1200 quid
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 8:37pm
+1 on the dynacord m1,..top mixers!Thumbs Up
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 2:57pm
Well for what it's worth it was always the Super Nova that gave our crowd wet dreams, although I am lucky enough to have one now. One of the clubs we worked had Citronic 607 and it was very nice to work with especially as we used to do all sorts of things with jingles (remember them?) and we used to go roving with a radio mic and the auto ducking on the mic inputs was very useful. We did play with Tuacs in about 78 to 79 until a big bang took the power amps out too and it was always Citronic after that but damned if I can remember the model numbers. We did have a huge mixer made by Guerrini? in one of the consoles and that lasted for years and was very good. Never seen or heard another one though.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Well for what it's worth it was always the Super Nova that gave our crowd wet dreams, although I am lucky enough to have one now. One of the clubs we worked had Citronic 607 and it was very nice to work with especially as we used to do all sorts of things with jingles (remember them?) and we used to go roving with a radio mic and the auto ducking on the mic inputs was very useful. We did play with Tuacs in about 78 to 79 until a big bang took the power amps out too and it was always Citronic after that but damned if I can remember the model numbers. We did have a huge mixer made by Guerrini? in one of the consoles and that lasted for years and was very good. Never seen or heard another one though.

Whilst I agree with you that most Dj's of our era probably lusted over the Stereo Supernova it does have it's limitation's.

The lack of inputs for one (switchable line in's would have been real useful & I do realise CD's were almost unheard of then) the lack of balanced output's and also the size of it, I could never work out why it was made so wide considering the rest of the world was already making the 19" format as standard.
I do realise it was designed as a club mixer but it was also designed by what was basically a mobile DJ (if you can call froggy's system mobile LOL) so I would have thought he would have gone with 19" as standard.

Until I bought mine I had forgotten it had un-balanced outputs and I must admit it through me out a little as the case mine came in had single XLR's all wired for mono.

I'm about to have some mod's done on mine to make it more usable, I'm having the gram channel's made switchable to gram/line and also having the output's converted to balanced (all without harming/cutting/drilling the mixer)

This has already been done by Matamp, In 2000 they designed/built a modular version of the Stereo Supernova, it was all done in the same format as the PM90 I.E single removable channels but more or less the same layout as the original supernova (except the gram bass & treble filters were removed) but Matt Mathias didn't like the build/component quality so the whole project was scrapped, shame would have been interesting

So although the Supernova is a lovely bit of kit to own and use it's not perfect (in my opinion anyway) and the title probably fall's to the PM80/90 considering the amount of them built and installed (can't stand them myself)

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 11:15am
After using many DJ Mixers I finally found one that I was totally pleased with, the Ecler Sclat 200VS. Here are a few pictures of the sclat range. Totally modular and excellent sound quality with long "Throw" Alps faders and pots throughout.

Sclat 8: (Sclat 10 released in 1985 was the first of the Ecler modular mixer range. I can't find a picture though).

Sclat 100:

1st 2 are input modules, 3rd one is an output module:

Sclat 200VS:

Edited by Pinyorouk - 19 October 2011 at 11:30am
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 11:42am
Ecler make some really nice kit and that's a brilliant example.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 3:04pm
They were (are) nice mixers those Ecler units apart from one thing... the sockets on the back panel! 
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 3:56pm
Which sockets? I thought most DJ mixer sockets were mounted on the rear panel unless your referring to a British mixer, possibly by Formula Sound where the sockets are on the bottom.

Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

They were (are) nice mixers those Ecler units apart from one thing... the sockets on the back panel! 
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 4:58pm
The PM80 / 90, the FSM600 (from Formula Sound) and the Citronic SM650 and 550 all had the connectors on the rear panel allowing something like a CD head to be mounted directly behind. When the mixer is in a club install you'd have to lift the mixer up to get to the connectors on the rear panel whereas with the connectors on the bottom you wouldn't!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Pinyorouk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 5:19pm
Now I understand, thanks for educating me, never thought of that !

Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

The PM80 / 90, the FSM600 (from Formula Sound) and the Citronic SM650 and 550 all had the connectors on the rear panel allowing something like a CD head to be mounted directly behind. When the mixer is in a club install you'd have to lift the mixer up to get to the connectors on the rear panel whereas with the connectors on the bottom you wouldn't!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>