Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The new ASS R2U system.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:08am
I got a bit emotional over this. Looking amazing!

Too bad I probably won't going to ever hear it Disapprove
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:30am
Regarding hearing the system and demos, I intend the system to be used in a gig situation. Once the amps and front end are complete, the system will be available for anyone who wants to try it.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:36am
Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

Brilliant stuff! Big ASS revival! Thumbs Up
I like the oldschool design similarities to the old 2x12" concert modular system of the mid hi cabs!
...though no phase plugs or things like this?
Just a point on the phase plugs, there are many reasons why I haven't done a system since the Reflekta cabs. Components became available to give me a new slant on the sound. The 2x12 mids are crossed over at 600 hz into the top which is a co axil driver, there is no need for a phase plug. I've only ever made them to get more hf out of the mids. In this case they're not needed.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 6:55am
very Nice Tony, very old school looking, love it

love the dispersion of the mid and top horn, both spot on with each other, what about splaying them side by side, gap in the middle? I suppose you wouldn't need to stacks anyway, should be plenty loud, would love to hear the coax unit

didn't realize the scale of it until I saw the guy standing there, pictures download at a snails pace here

about finishing, time and time again peeps asking about how much a cab is without seeing any.........yeah but joe blogs down the road can do a mini for $___
...........now look at Tonys paint job, paint as thick as you like, same as my cabs

it's all about the finishing guys, paint would end up being the most expensive material if done properly
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 6:58am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

what you doing to him Tony? he looks pretty nervous, hope you're not standing behind the camera with a whip again?

unless it's a mannequin?  
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 8:59am
Regarding dispersion, I made the cabs to look parallel from the front but the top cab is angled so that when there are two or more stacks together the top cabs can be angled and remain flush at the sides. The internals of the cabs have determined the shape of of everything. 
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:42am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

Brilliant stuff! Big ASS revival! Thumbs Up
I like the oldschool design similarities to the old 2x12" concert modular system of the mid hi cabs!
...though no phase plugs or things like this?
Just a point on the phase plugs, there are many reasons why I haven't done a system since the Reflekta cabs. Components became available to give me a new slant on the sound. The 2x12 mids are crossed over at 600 hz into the top which is a co axil driver, there is no need for a phase plug. I've only ever made them to get more hf out of the mids. In this case they're not needed.

I didn't notice that the compression driver is a coaxial system, which makes it possible to cross it over to the 2x12" at such a low frequency...
There are several new outcoming designs which make use of such coaxial compression drivers.
I wonder how the 2" units of the new coax compression drivers are sounding, due to most people classify the formerly used 2inch compression drivers a little bit harsh in sound.
But I feel confident that there is a good reason why tony is using them and there is no need to worry about. ...I hope it's not just a weight and size issue?

btw, the new RX18jnr's scoops are too cute, I like it!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 9:55am
The lower half of the compression driver is a 5"cone, it's probably the same on other makes of co-axil drivers. I just like the idea of not having to try and force the hi end out of a 12. These drivers are very smooth. The whole system is Neo, and I'm glad I can justify using these bits without compromise on performance. The 12's are bass mid speakers which make the lower part of the mid warmer than out of a dedicated mid. I probably took as long in thinking about the components as I did building the system.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 10:50am
You should do a version that has 4 of the top and mid cabs made as a single, awkwardly wide unit and claim it's a revolutionary design, then launch it at PLASA.
ras i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ras i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:08pm
Tony, would there be any need for extra tweeter box on top for those that like a little extra chips, or would these be sufficient?
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:35pm
ras i I take it you didn't notice the 2" driver being coaxial. It has modern 1" driver mounted into the throat of 2" driver with smoothly RISING response until 16khz or so... Thumbs Up
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2010 at 12:35pm
PROPER JOB!!
really nice looking system tony, looks like alot of thought has gone into it, Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>