Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE NEW CELESTION CF18VJD TESTED TO THE MAX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 3:11pm
2.5kW into each driver then?
music is the message
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 3:22pm
hey

yeah I would prbably guess then aboutv 3k or so into each driver. If they're 1600w drivers then thats probably about right, double the RMS. And 3kw of solid roots or dubstep bass would still be a challenge for any driver.

Can we have more details about this driver, is it a solid hardcore horn/small rear chamber driver like a PD1850/V18-1000, a more reflex orentated driver or an inbetweenie thats suitable for ported horns and larger chamber scoops etc?

k
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

hey

Can we have more details about this driver, is it a solid hardcore horn/small rear chamber driver like a PD1850/V18-1000, a more reflex orentated driver or an inbetweenie thats suitable for ported horns and larger chamber scoops etc?

Everything you need to know is in the specs & T/S really..

http://celestion.com/product/5/cf18vjd/

Suprisingly, the accurate Xmax is mentioned above, so in PD/Fane terms call it, 12mm.

Has strange Vas like 1851/Turbomax so HR & modelling software will not model it properly.

Fs/Qes ratio is fairly "horny", but not tight like 1850, so probably won't appreciate tight throat/expansion, or small chamber scoops. Qes of > 0.30 also suggests this.

Has good BL, so coupled with lowish Vas, & EBP > 100, suggests plenty of control, even at 800W & above in medium chamber scoop.

Overall depth is 233mm, "guestimate" 223mm depth from inside front rim to rear of magnet. So will not fit in most small chamber scoops, unless double front baffle. Usually a good idea to have at least 25mm betwixt driver magnet & rear baffle.

E.g, 1850 is approx 175mm deep (not inc rim), ASS RX18 is chamber is approx 190mm deep, Superscooper is 210mm deep.

So expect this to like all the cabs a Turbomax 1200 likes, and why the Earthshaker scoop design is as it is. Wink

Edited by levyte357 - 12 March 2012 at 4:32pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 4:32pm
Lev, can you get one and do you fancy a trip to Manchester to try it in something new that may be interesting? In typical roots fashion I can't fully divulge the details...
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Lev, can you get one and do you fancy a trip to Manchester to try it in something new that may be interesting? In typical roots fashion I can't fully divulge the details...

Sure LIGWA won't lend them out.

He may allow you to bring cab to his place and try it in there. LOL
andycw View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andycw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 4:43pm
Ligwa, Get a mic please Thumbs Up
No Bass No Fun
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

From what I understand, the drivers were 8 ohm.

The amplifier is rated 5kwpc @ 4 ohms.

I thought the FFA 10k was 5kw rms per channel at 2 ohms? or is this a new amp?
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Tocooltom Tocooltom wrote:

From what I understand, the drivers were 8 ohm.

The amplifier is rated 5kwpc @ 4 ohms.

I thought the FFA 10k was 5kw rms per channel at 2 ohms? or is this a new amp?

Apparently it's "some amp", Dave FFA has "something to do with".
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 5:15pm
Just looking at the Celestion CF18VJD would explain why the amplifiers need to be bridged in order to achieve a reasonable amount of SPL.

What is most intresting about this driver is the VD hasn't changed in the past 30 years when you compare the CF 18VJD to older top of the line 18-nch drivers from Celestion despite offering more xmax.

Celestion was very conservative on their xmax decades ago and, now may have decided to be more upfront based on competition.

I do recall Celestion 18-inch drivers had a tendency to distort when driven hard which, may be a good or bad thing pending on the cabinet you put them in.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Just looking at the Celestion CF18VJD would explain why the amplifiers need to be bridged in order to achieve a reasonable amount of SPL.

Personally don't believe Manufacturers sensitivity figures, so have a dynamic spreadsheet which calculates driver no from few T/S parms, then I re-order  sheet to according to most Efficient to least.

Edited by levyte357 - 12 March 2012 at 5:52pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Personally don't believe Manufacturers sensitivity figures, so have a dynamic spreadsheet which calculates driver no from few T/S parms, then I re-order  sheet to according to most Efficient to least.

Once the no.% states a figure, there is no getting around it. It is one of the oldest figures listed in the TS Parameters yet many still pay no attention to it.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Herb-i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb-i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2012 at 7:10pm
Very heavy stuff Mr Ligwa

Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>