Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE NEW CELESTION CF18VJD TESTED TO THE MAX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIGWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 11:49am
Originally posted by balistic_sounds balistic_sounds wrote:

Originally posted by LIGWA LIGWA wrote:

we try to give our customers affordable solutions that we have tried and tested and they get the bass they want at a price thats suits they pocket....... its simple 

Clap

Hi Balistic I have posted the new earth shaker mid hi on your " LIGWA- intimidation" topic

buy not a very good picture but give you a idea whats behind the grilles

speak to you soon cheers
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

It's been said before, that these forums are great for debate, and I have always assumed that together, we have the ability to pick the bones out of an Ant. Here lies the problem, we can be all guilty of generalizing, but for the more experienced members, it is simply not enough, especially when those members take time and trouble to pass on useful information and try to keep it as accurate as possible. As soon as something which might be a little misleading appears, those so inclined, will always jump on it. People will also have there own agendas for reacting and sometimes want to fight their own corner. So at the end of the day, this situation will always come up, like it did with a PA manufacturer a short while ago.

defo all true Tony, have always respected the technical knowledge of the people on here and love how we can always get to the truth of any debate, especially with the electronics stuff which is an area i dont have a massive knowledge of.

All i ment was this one fairly quickly went from heated technical discussion to being a little personal, which was perhaps unfair.

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 13 March 2012 at 12:16pm
LIGWA View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIGWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 10:36pm
Clap
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 7:23am
Originally posted by LIGWA LIGWA wrote:

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

Originally posted by Tony Wilkes Tony Wilkes wrote:

"Pleeze"  5000w RMS would vaporize the voice coil in seconds !!!

Tony
but not 5000 from a FFA amp?

stick a crown VZ5000 on it bridged pleaseEmbarrassed

What are you guys talking about! Tony Wilkes you know nothing about how we play sound systems and I use a true 10000 WATTS RMS into 4 OHMS to test my EARTH SHAKER these are not DISCO BOXES mateWink

Mykey (YOU AGAIN) it not about a VZ5000 you are all talk and living in the pass, we are  now in 2012 you have done nothing!!! so stop taking like you know too much, YOU DONT MAKE AMPLIFIERS. that why we went to FFA to get A new Amplifier not a OLD VZ 5000 that is not made any more we have moved on..    chatting about bout old amp lool! This is new talk and new productsSmile 

I am going to write down what this test session was really about guys LOL
so you get some Idea why Ligwa maybe price very affordable  but it work because we spent the time to do real testing and our homework

will post shortly KEEP YOUR EYES RIGHT HERE!Shocked

this thread reminds me of car audioEmbarrassed

isn't there a cash converters forum you can go hang out on?

LIGWA View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIGWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:25am
mykey you got so much talk and I have never heard one of you system

I have nothink more to say to you till I hear one of your system 

Further more I can't wait for LIGWA SYSTEM  and your PAPER GRAPH SYSTEM to meet in Golden Palace

Now! Dont try to Get some Soundmen to Help you out to sound good  Just ME and YOU

Lets see what really you know about sound system now!

will not answer none of your threads till this event happens LOL you got too much talk!

but I still love you for that mate xx
Smiter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:42am
I did hear that what came out of those two scoops was pretty astonishing, regardless of numbers
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 9:46am
Apology for not picking this up sooner but a comment by Ceharden posted a couple of days ago is I think well worth a follow-up:

"You need a true RMS Voltage and Current reading which also takes account of the phase to measure the actual power being dissipated by the driver and ignore reflected power due to the reactive nature of the load.
I had the great idea to build one years ago.....  Strangely enough it's another project that's never happened."

Strange? Na - not an easy build by a long way!

I've been running Power Transfer tests on 'Speakers on and off for a while now.
http://forum.speakerplans.com/power-factors-for-speakers_topic52128_page1.html

OK not a 'single box' test by any stretch of the imagination; but the results I get are very interesting - especially with the higher impedances of LF Drivers used for Bass below their XO frequency and VI phase angles of over 60º.

Anyway we also need to know THD of the Current waveform to see how/when the 'Speaker is performing as a 'linear' load or not to calculate into the Power Factor figure.

Definitely there will not be anywhere approaching the expected power getting near to voice-coils and larger diameter drivers perform worse on this from results so far.
Reckon those Celestions were probably getting about 40% of available Amplifier output at best, plus this is frequency dependent.

Would be interesting to see full test results for a Driver loaded into in one of the Cabs in this Thread - adding load to the cone can worsen the VI phase angles and Current distortion compared with 'free air' tests.

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
LIGWA View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIGWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:00am
Originally posted by audiomik audiomik wrote:

Apology for not picking this up sooner but a comment by Ceharden posted a couple of days ago is I think well worth a follow-up:

"You need a true RMS Voltage and Current reading which also takes account of the phase to measure the actual power being dissipated by the driver and ignore reflected power due to the reactive nature of the load.
I had the great idea to build one years ago.....  Strangely enough it's another project that's never happened."

Strange? Na - not an easy build by a long way!

I've been running Power Transfer tests on 'Speakers on and off for a while now.
http://forum.speakerplans.com/power-factors-for-speakers_topic52128_page1.html

OK not a 'single box' test by any stretch of the imagination; but the results I get are very interesting - especially with the higher impedances of LF Drivers used for Bass below their XO frequency and VI phase angles of over 60º.

Anyway we also need to know THD of the Current waveform to see how/when the 'Speaker is performing as a 'linear' load or not to calculate into the Power Factor figure.

Definitely there will not be anywhere approaching the expected power getting near to voice-coils and larger diameter drivers perform worse on this from results so far.
Reckon those Celestions were probably getting about 40% of available Amplifier output at best, plus this is frequency dependent.

Would be interesting to see full test results for a Driver loaded into in one of the Cabs in this Thread - adding load to the cone can worsen the VI phase angles and Current distortion compared with 'free air' tests.

Mik

Mate I think you need to come too Wink and do so of you own testing and then you can relay the actual finding of the day and Get some Rise and peas with Jerk Chicken
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:09am
Vaguely possible only if suitable transport can be provided and the event is local to here for me to attend; however there are others fully capable of running the same tests.

thanks for the offer but.......

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 2:24pm
LOL

shame i'm so far away, sounds like it could be an "interesting" day lol, we dont get many scoops up here north of the border so not something ive had a huge experience with.

k
LIGWA View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIGWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 10:57pm
don't worry we send you the the video experience..

I am looking forward to it...

no venues up your end? We'll come and do a demo up thereBig smile

Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 12:25am
Can you confirm the amp arangement?

Too much confusion.

It is either a 2 channel (4r) running in bridge which will be 8R min load, or one case with 2 mono blocks ( a 2 ch amp then) with a min load of??? More info would be great. I'm sure Dave will know.

We have all experienced more power o/p in watts than the 13A plug can provide. We have also debated correctly the reason and levels previously. I would however concurr that an 8R voice coil plugged into the mains would fry. Not in seconds either. More like milliseconds. If it did run for seconds I would debate the coil was to heavy and the mass would make the speaker way too ineficient. In which case an older amp and speaker would win. ( in simple terms)

More info would be great. BTW forget the idea that PC's and graphs etc. are not accurate. Some of us can calculate without a PC. These engineers hand calcs will be accurate. This is what we strive. As an old engineer I still relate to;

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

This is largely true in engineering. How ironic for an engineer to quote this as it is in the 'Bible'. LOL

A great pat on the back for the effort to try and acheive more. More can be less, but I really hope in this case more is finally acheived.

Edited by Muckerbarnes1 - 15 March 2012 at 12:26am
Billy Dawg.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>