Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Turbosound TMS-2A topic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Turbosound TMS-2A topic
    Posted: 30 March 2012 at 6:31pm
Hello,

A long post, so here is a nice video (even if you dislike the music it's a nice video, lol)
Recently my brother and I purchases a pair of Turbosound TMS-2A speakers.

The seller thought they were "some double 15" speakers or something". Luckily, we recognised the Turbo panel on the back. And, as you might have guessed, it was a real bargain. Altough it was quite a risk, because we had no idea if the inside was original, or even working. They looked like this when we bought them.

After a quick removal of the panels on the back- and bottom, we discovered the following:
- The most important part -the 10" and phaseplug- is 100% original and working (1 and 2)
- The 1" is original and working (1)
- The 15" is a non-original RCF woofer, one with a completely destroyed cone and the other with a loose voicecoil. We presume that they both are bad recones, because the woofers are bloody old, but the cone and edge look really good for the age. Besides that, they are propably not the correct woofers for this cabinet, due to different T/S parameters (I GUESS, they might also be perfect as well). (1, 2 and 3)
- One filter is perfect and original. The other filter had a rough time once, but has been replaced with something that seems OK. Not sure if its correctly repaired though? (1 and 2)
- The previous owner made a 4P connection on the back, using a EP6 connector. (1)
- About the previous user: he seems a clumsy, sloppy, messy, untidy, careless bungler. And thats something you see all over the cabinet. Firstly, he filled the whole cabinet with some kinda woodfiller or something like that. (1 and 2) And besides that, he molested this piece of British history by sticking a ugly black filt around the cabinet. We immediately started removing that. (1 and 2). Wich revealed the letters 'CVW' on the side. I have no idea what it stands for, I presume a sound rental company. Google doesn't know either.

We want to bring this beauty back to a almost new condition. We have a few questions:
1) What is the difference between a TMS-2 and a TMS-2A? Active (bi-amped)? Or is it one of the thousand different versions (mkI, mkII, mkIII and so).
2) Is it correct that the Turbosound CD-101 is a rebadged Beyma CP300?
3) What are the original woofers for this cabinet? What are the parameters for this woofer? Are there any known replacements for this woofer? Does anyone know where I can find the original woofer nowadays?
4) Or is it worth the effort to recone the RCF's? The specs are promising: high efficiency and low power. Exactly what we want for this cabinet. We do not want a new, expensive, woofer with 92 dB sensitivity and 2000 watt programm! We just want the cabinet the sound at it's best again.
5) Is the repaired filter okay?
6) One cabinet was filled with acoustic foam in the 15" horn, the other one was empty. What is correct?
7) Considering the condition of the wood, would you recommend using a belt sander or a planing machine?
8) We would like to place a handle on each side of the cabinet. What would be the best place for mounting the handle? We thought behind the 1", above the horn of the 15"?
9) Is anyone else using the TMS-2A's? What do you think of them? How would it compare to, for instance, the TSA C115N (a regular 15/2 low XO-point beyma cabinet), the QSC HPR153i or the EAW KF650e? I know, totally different speakers, but how would they compare sound-wise?

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.
Here is a link to a complete picture-album by the way: click

Greeting,

Teun

Edited by 4AC - 30 March 2012 at 6:47pm
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 8:23pm
Speak to Pete Brosman for the Fane 15" you need, you can get a TMS-3 PD in there but you have to remove some the Turbo cd-101 is a beyma, but I don't know which one, again I use Pete for these...

Nice find!!!

They crossover @ 250 and if you want they sound amazing 3way active....

Smile
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 9:25pm
Result mate Thumbs Up
SoundsUnlimited View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsUnlimited Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 11:58pm
In Answer to question 2 

Yes the CD101 is a rebadged 16ohm Beyma cp300.

The tms2s sound really nice and would be perfect over a double 18 or something similar so its worth getting them working properly although I would advise upgrading the compression driver to something newer like the B&C DE250 to bring them up to scratch with newer cabs 

Edited by SoundsUnlimited - 17 April 2012 at 11:56pm
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Speak to Pete Brosman for the Fane 15" you need, you can get a TMS-3 PD in there but you have to remove some the Turbo cd-101 is a beyma, but I don't know which one, again I use Pete for these...

Where can I find this Pete Brosman? Is he a SP member?

Is it possible that there are different TMS-2's, with either PD or Fane woofers?
I found the following item on ebay.de:
click

It is the LS-1506, surely a PD woofer.
Turbosound's component map says I need a LS-1503, considering the serial number. Is that a Fane?

Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Nice find!!!

They crossover @ 250 and if you want they sound amazing 3way active....

Smile

Thanks! I was hoping it to sound amazing as well 2-way, lol. We seriously do not want any more amplfiers, haha!

Originally posted by Risc_Terilia Risc_Terilia wrote:

Result mate Thumbs Up

What do you mean?

Originally posted by SoundsUnlimited SoundsUnlimited wrote:

In Answer to question 2 

Yes the CD101 is a rebadged 16ohm Beyma cp300.

The tms2s sound really nice and would be perfect over a double 18 or something similar so its worth getting them working properly

Okay, thanks a lot.
If the TMS-2A's really sound good, they will be over two or three Acoustic Line TSE copies a side (Ciare woofer).

Originally posted by SoundsUnlimited SoundsUnlimited wrote:

although I would advise upgrading the compression driver to something newer like the B&C DE250 to bring them up to scratch with newer cabs 

Explain yourself, please. Is it because the diaphragm is getting tired or something?
Other than that I do not know why the compression driver would need replacement. In general Beyma drivers sound pretty good. Or is a new B&C way better than this 'vintage' (lol) Beyma?

Cheers everyone

Edited by 4AC - 31 March 2012 at 1:39pm
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 3:01pm
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2012 at 5:40pm
The 1506 is PD, from the layout of your boxes (IE the HF wave guide) I am gussing you need a Fane, they can be changed but it does involve some wood work.

Sorry I didn't note you were in the Netherlands, Pete Brosman has a Company in London Call Crystal Pro Audio, he is really good at looking after older turbo stuff.

As for the HF upgrade, I wouldn't the Beyma sounds great and the B & C may not, the 10" on the Mid device of these boxes runs out to over 5KHz so the 1" isn't working in the area where they bark, for a 2 way box the B & C would help but for a TMS-x no need to bother...

Smile
SoundsUnlimited View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsUnlimited Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 1:13am

Explain yourself, please. Is it because the diaphragm is getting tired or something?
Other than that I do not know why the compression driver would need replacement. In general Beyma drivers sound pretty good. Or is a new B&C way better than this 'vintage' (lol) Beyma?

The Cp300 are not a bad driver for there age I'm just saying you can get better now days , I changed my cp350s in my tse111 for some b&c de250s because the Beyma,s were not giving the sound I was after and its the best thing I did.

Edited by SoundsUnlimited - 17 April 2012 at 11:57pm
Tedski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tedski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2012 at 2:47pm
Gefeliciteerd.

We also have a pair of 2's (and 1s and 3s), they sound fantastic properly powered.
We had a look to see if the PD 15 from our tms3's would fit in the 2s, but without serious modification they would not.

We used to use Fane crescendo 15MB in them, they fit, but finding recones for them is hard.
4AC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4AC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 3:14pm
Bedankt!

Awesome, what company are you? Always nice to hear someone is using the old Turbosound series in Holland.

Do you have any idea what the original woofer is, for our TMS-2A's? What Fane?
Would those Crescendo 15MB's work good in our TMS-2A's, do they have the correct parameters? Sound nice, any close to the original?

If so, I probably go looking for a woofer that had similar parameters as the Crescendo.

Cheers
uǝɿɿɐʌǝ6ɯo sı ʇsʞǝʇ ǝzǝp
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 4:56pm
the fane sovereign 15 neo sims very nicely in this type of horn, i havent tested one yet though.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2012 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

What do you mean?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=result

Edited by Risc_Terilia - 03 April 2012 at 6:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>