Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

things to do on a sunday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: things to do on a sunday
    Posted: 28 September 2008 at 7:56pm

build a double punisher!

bit of an experiment this - fully dadoed construction makes things a lot easier. Next challenge is to finish bracing off ( replace mdf bits with birch, and add handles - going to spend next sunday on this

sounded good with a community sls920 on top, and a lab4000 driving
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 8:59pm
Good stuff! Love them rebates.

So, csg, tell us - what's your system going to be?
Away on extended leave.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2008 at 9:23pm
well, im still weighing up options. I dont need anything big untill easter, my business commitnments untill then are mainly lighting and public address outside

I want a 2 box system which is scalable, and versitile. The twin punisher seems to be a box which has reasonable extention with good speed and punch.
In my brief listening session this afternoon, this box seemed to meet the community sls920 very well.
Im definately going with the sls920 as my mid / high box - the sound quality and projection of this tiny little box is exceptional.

So, by easter very possibly 12 twin punishers with the community's on top
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 4:56pm
You build is looking good,

Did you seal the gasket?:

Best regards,

Walt
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrighty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 5:46pm
Unless you've done something since the photos were taken, I doubt there will be a good seal where you've counterbored the holes for the nuts that you've put on the driver side of the baffle. There will be a significant (and possibly damaging) air leak around every one of them. T-nuts probably would've been a better choice...
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 6:01pm
well, the drivers were only loaded for a quick low level listen as ive built this out of interest, having hever heard a punisher
I personally can not stand t nuts, and have used this mounting technique many times when building horn loaded enclosures. The studs are threadlocked, and have proven far more relable than t nuts in situations where access is tight and difficult

before the drivers go in properly, both the gasket and baffle rim will be sealed. In addition, i will apply a bead of silicone around the outer rim of the basket / gasket. I am happy sealing the driver in well as im not in the habit of burning out drivers.

out of interest, given the very thick / deep gasket of this driver, how much would you normally compress this down ? to half thickness?

more photos of a more finished item next week

Edited by csg - 29 September 2008 at 6:05pm
doober View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:16pm
I find the gaskets compress quite easily. You just need to tighten each bolt a couple of turns at a time and keep working your way around them until they fell tight enough to not come undone. The chassis is nearly touching the baffle in my punishers.

Nice looking build, I take it you won't be lifting them alone?
Blahblahblah
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 8:47pm
cheers for that - i guess as long as the chassis is secure its fine.

on the lifting point, well, yes they aint light, and will be getting heavier - ill be adding some cheeks to the 2 ends to contain handles - 2 layers of 15mm ply which will contain 2 box handles and 2 slit handles without breaking into the volume of the box.
whilst adding weight, they will also improve rigidity, road protection and will also add a little height which is useful when taking just a couple of these out with mid highs as a small hire

the small footprint of these makes them a good van pack, with space on top for smaller bigts and pieces - ive got a lot more work and testing to do before i decide these are the way forward, but early signs are promising!

Edited by csg - 29 September 2008 at 8:48pm
Marios View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 10:05pm
Great looking build. We have sls920 for our rig too and they sound great. Amazing with DJs and live bands.
MGS Productions
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 10:25pm
I don't understand building double punishers.. would it not be eaiser to move / stack singles (I thought one of the main benefits of the punisher was it's small size / low weight).

Look good tho.. would like to see plots of a big stack of em.. 12 doubles must get pretty  low.

Edited by adambomb - 29 September 2008 at 10:26pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2008 at 10:44pm
by building doubles, i can wheel them up my ramp into my van and stand them up - no stacking and lifting. much easier to handle on your own.
On jobs were ive got big stacks, ill always have people around to help, but i usually have to load the van on my own.

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 9:13pm
Well, another productive weekend - the bracing is in properly,  and ive sorted the handles and speakons.
the handles use a lot of ply, but avoids eating into the cab, and provides a lot of strengh to the cab increasing its "tourability"
this is sounding really good now - the driver has been sealed around its rim with silicone to make sure there are no leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>