Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

this thing could be a game changer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Hemisphere Hemisphere wrote:

I knocked up a design this afternoon for a half decent equivalent (2x 10 watts into 8ohms, 2x15 watts into 4ohms) not exactly hifi but it'll have some real power behind it at least. I'm looking at taking the low cost DIY kits route for this and other projects. Creative Commons share-alike non-commercial license with plans available but kits for sale at retail - a bit like 41Hz (I think, I don't really know how they work). Shouldn't need to cost more than £20 and will outperform this toy in almost all aspects (only almost because, aesthetically of course, it won't match it). Gotta hook up the cables and glue some bits of wood together but if you need a good budget vs performance ratio it may suit.

Take a Sure TPA3110, a Sure Bluetooth 5 module, a 12V battery, assorted cables and plugs and a cigar box and you have yourself a similar portable bluetooth amp just with vastly better specs and much much nicer design as well for roughly the same price or even less.

Edited by Saturnus - 03 December 2014 at 5:20pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 5:23pm
'Much nicer design' is relative though. This one has awards from Elle Magazine don't forget. WAF is through the roof.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 5:28pm
A good old cigar box is a much nicer design than that plastic atrocity though.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 7:49pm
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1238747394/the-vamp-bring-back-the-sound/comments

Lots of reviews available here. Not all shining in terms of quality control, many seem to find them to be DOA. If only they'd taken a few more business trips to Asia (part of their crowdfunding goals) they'd have had it nailed.

Edited by Hemisphere - 03 December 2014 at 7:51pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2014 at 8:56pm
Why did they have to choose such an odd shape.

I wouldn't call it a 'game-changer' at all. I do like the recycling idea.
This is indeed very DIY-able. You can make one for much much less.
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 4:14am
Ok well the title got all your attention at least... I was quite excited by the product as a concept... Hadn't really given it much serious consideration. I do still like it as a off the shelf gadget though.
Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 7:04am
Come on lads...we're not really the target market for this as of course we could make something like it or better.
Most folks won't know how to construct something but would get a kick out of the upcycling, DIY nature of this product.
I think it's great and FairPlay to them for getting it out there.
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2014 at 9:41am
I think you're missing the point a little Shortrope. It's not that it's just unappealing to pro audio/hifi enthusiasts, it's simply a bad and overpriced product, delivered badly. As others mentioned a product with those specs, 'made in China', could easily have been delivered for £10 by an experienced/professional company.

With a 'peak output' of 4 Watts, and by many accounts dodgy and unprofessional electronics: 6 foot bluetooth range, a glaring blue LED that flashes on and off while in use, a 3.5mm jack that hums and hisses (an issue they're 'aware of and will be removing the 3.5mm jack in future editions') and a significant proportion or units failing early or DOA (read the 400 reviews), it's fair to say a cheap Chinese equivalent could be achieved for about £3. Yes £3.

Try scaling that number up to pro audio: Behringer makes a low grade but passable amp for £200, FFA makes one with equivalent specs for £1000, and some new company, let's call them 80's Underwear, comes along and tries to sell a Behringer quality product for £3000, that's roughly what we're looking at.

They've built a successful hype machine, but that's it, they're a pure marketing company and it's one thing they've done very well. The concept is admirable, the delivery is diabolical.

The biggest praise it receives is that the sound quality is good, but sound quality (and low cost) on cheap Chinese amps has come on in leaps and bounds the last few years, particularly in the 1-3 Watt range, and an amp costing £0.20p(!) can surprise and impress even hifi enthusiasts, when plugged into a quality speaker.

Edited by Hemisphere - 04 December 2014 at 9:54am
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 10:29am
I knew I had seen it somewhere.

This is half the price of the vamp and comes with a high quailty stereo amp (TPA3110 based), bluetooth, aux line input, volume control, and accepts 12V DC directly.

Pretty much game over for the vamp.

EDIT: Someone on DIYuadio found it on ebay as well.

More details there too. So it actually has 2 TPA3110 in PBTL meaning it can do 2 ohm loads (3 ohm really). It also have the latest CRS bluetooth chip so direct bit for bit transfer of any mp3/aac file up to 384kbps is possible if your phone/tablet/laptop supports it. Components generally looks like they're acceptable quality and board layout is good.

Edited by Saturnus - 05 December 2014 at 11:06am
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 1:42pm
I know somebody who works for the vamp people, but not in a technical role I think. I see it being quite popular in her sort of circles, the (dare I say it) 'hipster' crowd - I can imagine people sat outside a pub in Shoreditch with one of these, sipping on their tins of Red Stripe.

Edited by lost eden - 05 December 2014 at 2:18pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 3:08pm
Hey they're saving the planet don't you know - Won't somebody think of the speakers!?
lost eden View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost eden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 3:33pm
The sad thing is that the primary market for the device is probably people so young that they've never actually owned a 'traditional' pair of speakers & have instead only ever had iPod docks & 2.1 computer sets!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>