Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time allignment/delay for Horns?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time allignment/delay for Horns?
    Posted: 19 December 2014 at 6:00pm
Hi, I understand what the delay is for and there is a good faq page on this site complete with pictures on how to set the delay so the sound from each section (bass/mid etc) arrives at the listener at the same time from a stack.

But as I only have the use of an analogue crossover without such features I have never been able to hear the difference.

I could not find any info, I would like to know exactly what the audible differences are between a stack with time delays set and one with out for horn loaded cabs??

And from that can decide if is worth procuring such a crossover unit with said delay features!

Thanks - Simon.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2014 at 6:36pm
You get phase related issues across frequency bands when you don't have appropriate delays

Play some pink noise through your system and walk about then its easier to hear the nulls and cancellations

When you have a phase coherent system you will notice how much tighter the system response is.

It's a subtle yet massive difference im sound quality and I strongly suggest getting an LMS.
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2014 at 12:16am
Cheers, I will borrow a crossover unit with time delay so that I can hear the difference for myself.
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2014 at 2:10am
I have just been looking at the manual for the Behringer Crossover (CX3400),

On this unit it appears as though it has one delay function on the Low Frequency band, But according to the faq section on this website for time delay you would only delay the top and mid to match the bass cab as this is already usually delayed because of the long folded horn.

So am I missing something, why would there only be a delay on the low end which is not required!!!

Cheers - Simon.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2014 at 2:16am
google xta dp448
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2014 at 12:43pm
I see, it has time delays on each output, the behringer ultradrive units also do. This makes sense but I still am curious as to why the above crossover only has it on the low end when not required as far as I can see? Does anyone know?

Cheers.

all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by reessi reessi wrote:

I see, it has time delays on each output, the behringer ultradrive units also do. This makes sense but I still am curious as to why the above crossover only has it on the low end when not required as far as I can see? Does anyone know?

Cheers.

It would only make sense in situations like school auditoriums where column speakers are mounted to the rear walls for speach and subs are added in front of the stage for dances.

But get an LMS like the DCX and get decent delays, different x-over slopes, highpass, etc, etc.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2014 at 2:19pm

Cheers.

The main purpose seems to be aligning comp drivers on horns with woofers in two way active boxes. The manual does explain a technique for aligning horn loaded subs by flipping the phase on the sub to bring it foreward and then using delay to bring it back in line. Dont know how effective that is though.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2014 at 11:27pm

Cheers.

Because you can only run it 2 way stereo or 3 way mono.

So you either need a delay setting on each channel or 2 delay functions over 3 bands.

You delay to your longest horn, so for instance if you have a horn loaded top and reflex bins, you would be time aligning the low end to the top!!

The cross over probably had a bi-amped full range cab in mind where the delay compensates a CD horn and a front loaded driver. There is also probably a phase invert button too so you can push the low end end back and then add appropriate delay to the top.

All in all, you can pick up a dcx for £100 second hand or £170 new... Get rid of the Cx and get yourself an LMS

Edited by Grubbah - 21 December 2014 at 11:30pm
reessi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2014 at 1:10am
Ok, I understand now what I need to get, thanks everyone.
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2014 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Grubbah Grubbah wrote:

There is also probably a phase invert button too so you can push the low end end back and then add appropriate delay to the top.

There is a phase invert button but it will only let you delay the low end so you do it the other way round.

They call it phase coincidence rather than alignment.
 Post Reply Post Reply