Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To friendly hornresp guru..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 2:03pm
I may write strange english! It wouldn't be the first time! (maybe not the last time either..)

I agree that Xmech should not be used when simulating the speaker performance, but i'd like to find out certain absolute maximum values that the speaker can take abuse. I've sometimes ran into situation where i can't use my own amps and 3dB can be surprisingly many watts.. And if the bins take the abuse like a man then why not get more amps for myself too..

Me too recall someone with more knowledge to help us figuring out this excursion problem..!

-Jani-
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:45am
Xmech is probably extremely difficult to achieve anyway. Xmech is the physical distance a speakers moving parts can move before coming into contact with back plates OR when the suspension simply cannot stretch any further(most likely-but would require some serious force to stretch that far). The magnetic assemby probably has minimal strength at this point and it's highly likely you won't EVER be able to make the driver bottom out(hit a solid stop-like a backplate-overexcursion and xmech are different things really)
I had to prove this to a mate(as well as the effects of clipping) by driving a 10watt 4" pioneer driver with 300wrms of bass cd goodness. Sure the cone was being driven as far as it will ever go,but at no time did the voicecoil hit ANYTHING and going from 50wrms to 300wrms yielded little difference. Look at a flux density chart for a driver,outside xmax,flux density drops very rapidly and suspension stiffness increases quickly also. Xmax is also factored by suspension effects too(xsus),xmag is the magnetic side of it
For example,get an 18incher with 35mm xmech and push as hard as you can on the cone(don't break it!)-I can pretty much guarantee the suspension will stop you first!(i've evn seen a demo of a guy who stood on the cone of a car sub and the suspension held him up!)
And a 8" sealed back mid may have an xmech of 5mm,this will simply be the stiff/short suspension running out of travel,these mids have very short voicecoils so i doubt it'll touch the backplate.
In the real world you'll probably just get hideous 'whoomping' more than anything and EVENTUAL driver faliure. There are of course exeptions but I'm fairly sure your average(quality) LF driver these days shouldn't be able to smash kapton into steel.(maybe with massive power on your loungeroom floor and no box!-but I'd bet that the voicecoil would actually have to tear from the cone)
It's sort of like working out the exact rpm your cars crankshaft will shatter,the engine will simply become so inefficient it'll probably never actually reach those revs,even floored in neutral due to losses and out of powerband wheezyness!
And in my not-so-professional opinion,building an enclosure which reaches xmech at rated power is fairly well off the mark!
Speaker addict
hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:28am
Thanks for clearing out the problem!

The cabinet itself is not intended for KappaPro15LF drivers and now that i've played with hornresp a bit, i've found out, that if i reduced the back chamber volume to about 37 litres, the response would be quite a bit smoother! Also the excursion stays now within Xmax at rated power (600W) from about 50Hz and up. Xmech will not be reached at any freq with 600W.. Of course there is possibility that something is wrong in my simulations. They show at the moment 45Hz-200Hz +-2,5dB (At max. sensitivity point of 75Hz the 600W of power should hit 135dB. At 45Hz the same figure was 130dB) which seems pretty normal for short horn like this to me.. Or what do you guys think? (Is there some bandpass action going on just before horn cutoff since the horn seems to go down somewhere around 60Hz..?)

-Jani-

Edited by hiphei
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:56am
Stiff-surounds are generally a saving grace for bass-horn speakers, however there are other issues to considder. I know that 18Sound's 18LW1400 has problems long-term with the surround. A speaker with a stiff suspension will just stay where it is and that's the end of things (except if like some manufacturers you don't glue down your spiders properly)

However if you look at what happens, the speaker gives off energy in it's mid-point. Now with a small mouth lots of the energy at the horn mouth will now be reflected back into the horn and will come back to "load" the speaker (however with some time having passed inbetween). However at a touch above fc this loading will catch the speaker in phase and "help" the speaker further mechanically (look at the driver excursion in hornresp and picture the wave. The more complete the transformation from pressure (throat) to velocity (mouth) the less refraction at the mouth (seen in less ripple in frequency response and cone excursion)

Edited by Timber_MG
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 9:01am

Quote Xmech is probably extremely difficult to achieve anyway

Well, I've some practical experiences telling otherwise, so from there my concern. Most where with tops, but it was supprisingly easy to achieve (than again DJ's have special powers when it comes to that)

I actually know someone who sets up his w-bin system like that: Applying more power till he hears ticking and then back-off a bit.

@Hiphei: Can you post a screenshot?

Quote I know that 18Sound's 18LW1400 has problems long-term with the surround

What kind of problems? I happen to be an owner and I'm designing a horn for it, so any info would be welcome.

Cheers

Edited by mobiele eenheid
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 9:18am
Methinks JD01 mentioned it failing somehow (tearing iirc). PM him.

Is this the double?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 9:26am

Double what?

hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 9:57am
I can take and post some screenshots when i get home! (Still at work and surfing in web again.. )

edit: Here they are..I had forgotten that i had simulated these with assumed TA-2400 power/bin (figuring that it would give me about 800Wrms to 4 ohms/channel) but i think i should be able to play these down to 50Hz with 2 cabs together and then down to 45Hz with all 4 together even though i had that 600W as it is now on these pics..

Edited by hiphei
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 11:30am

Why do you simulated in 1,0 pi? Unless you will always put it against a wall (or use 2 in a stack) it will give a false indication. One cab in halfspace would be 2,0 pi.

In practice I would apply a lowcut at 50 Hz (or higher) if you tend to put 600 W on each (in theory it always looks wurse). And if I was gonna use a 50 Hz lowcut anyway, I would optimize the design to get a little bit more flat and higher output in the 50 Hz+ area at the price of gain at <50 Hz.

This would mean you could make em shorter and thus smaller. It would also get a higher powerhandling and a flatter reponse. But off course that's also personal favour/taste

Btw. L45 should also be conical, not exponential.

Edited by mobiele eenheid
hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 12:09pm
I use always 2 or 4 cabs together. At the moment they've been played with about 400W/cab 4 cabs total and this is the first time i've paid attention to excursion.. I think that the lowcut has currently been set to 35Hz by not so lucky guess. We've played few gigs with them so i think maybe i'm lucky that the drivers are still OK..! (During the last show beer pints were walking on tables and clip leds flashed briefly on TA every now and then.. ) I think i will modify the back chamber before the next gig and rise the HPF..

Do You think that polyurethane would be suitable material to fill them up?

Edit: Uh.. almost forgot.. There were not enough segments so i did put the final parts as 1 exponential segment.. Hmm.. Is there a way to add them (more segments) in Hornresp..?

Edited by hiphei
hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 4:08pm
The horn must be completely wrong in my sims.. I inserted tempest-driver parameters to the model and the result is again very far from it's measured spl-graph.. I believe i won't be able to transfer the horn to hornresp.. Perhaps i should give up because if i remember correctly the response sim was very similar when i tried to do first simulations. I don't see what else could i try anymore.

I must thank You a lot at this point, mobiele eenheid. I feel that i have learnt quite a bit though..

I will draw the horn one more time to paper and scale it so that i can measure it one more time with measurement-tape and double check it.. Either there is something wrong in my measurements or i don't understand the horn correctly or then the hornresp doesn't model that correctly.. uh it's 23:00 again and i have forgotten to eat! 
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 4:49pm
Hi mobiele eenheid: I meant the double 18" horn that was being mentioned on J&H a while back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>