Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To friendly hornresp guru..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 4:54pm
hiphei: Is the horn overly unusual, or could Dan provide you with a suitable (likely hyperbolic of sorts) approximation which was approximated with conical sections and folded? Might be that the design takes a little parameter drift due to coil heating into account. Don't forget to take a line through the horn a little towards the outside of the contre of the horn as the wavefront can be visualized as having a "mass"-like property.
hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 5:33pm
I don't think it's overly unusual.. At least to my eyes. My sims just show only peaks and valleys with original driver.. Huge peak at 65Hz and below that the response sink like a rock. It's almost 10dB down at 40Hz.. The plans show that 35Hz should be -5dB. Also the one-way excursion on my sim is about 22mm at 35Hz with only 300W of power. It's so much off that i can't believe it could be due to correction of VC heating..

The horn is just simple round folding (not S) and the driver sits in the middle of the baffle like eg. on rog's 186 horn. I feel so frustrated atm..

I already tried to contact Adireaudio last friday, but haven't yet received any reply.

Hyperbolic flare makes the sims even more worse. The bump is even  more severe and lies around 85Hz..?!

I don't understand anything anymore..

edit: I did put up a thread in psw sub forum just in case someone over there was familiar with tempesthorn..

Edited by hiphei
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 8:00am

Quote Hi mobiele eenheid: I meant the double 18" horn that was being mentioned on J&H a while back

No, not that one. I would like to make a horn that can be used by every beginning and mediumsized drive-in's for up to (a serious) 200 people indoors. For most drive-in's a f6 of 40 Hz would be sufficient (it's also ment for just one a side). I'm working on a corresponding top as well.

It will use 2 modules like Walt's M-horn (tho slightly improved me thinks ).

Do you also respond on the forum or do you only read it?

Quote edit: I did put up a thread in psw sub forum just in case someone over there was familiar with tempesthorn..

I noticed  I'm around..

You should try diyaudio.com instead. A lot of Adire fans hanging around there (Dan Wiggins and Tom Danley as well )

Which version of Hornresp are you using? I'm also getting differents results with 7.2 compared to 8.

Remember Hornresp (and most other simulating prog's as well) simulate with a 3 dB-sine. Normal bass in music is more like 6 dB (dynamics). So 300 W simulated can get around 600 W in real-life.

Personally I wouldn't mind about that anyway, since mnost horns get you 3 dB more output with half the power (compared to BR), so it isn't really limiting your SPL.

Edited by mobiele eenheid
fernand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 9:03am

Any idea what has been changed/improved  on Hornresp 8 ?

With a bit of luck, my design results improve because Hornresp improves.

Edited by fernand
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 10:17am
@ mobiele eenheid: Nee, ik lees net in het forum, maar mijn Nederlands is niet zo goed om erin te schrijwe.
fernand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 1:06pm

Timber_bg: Jou Nederlands is baie goed. Nie veel fout nie. (enkel schrijven) Beter dan mijn Afrikaans.

Sorry guys: just to say that Afrikaans is quite close to Dutch.

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2005 at 5:31am
Dank je wel. No faults in that Afrikaans. Afrikaans is partly derrived from Dutch becasue SA was (initially) a Dutch colony and thus it is quite similar to Hooghollands (high dutch from the 1700s). Flemmish (seeing that you're from Belgium) is closer still (sounds it too).

Back to the topic. Try and see what ML Util gives you for good starting values and perhaps try and see whether you get close to your measurement results. Sometimes you can get good compromizes with less traditional flares though and some use refraction at folds to smooth out some behaviour higher up.
hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2005 at 9:11am
The designer of these horns was found from the Lab-sub board.. I also found better datasheet for the original adire driver.  So, i guess the sims should now correlate more to original horn. Still the kappa's seem to give better half space response at least down to about 50Hz which suits me well.. In real room maybe even lower. I think that's enough for live application.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I think i really have learnt something!

-Jani-

Edit:
Btw.. How would you decrease the back volume? Would polyurethane foam be stiff enough?

Edited by hiphei
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 1:30pm

Simplest way to decrease a volume is to place a board on the correct place (see 1850/186 horn).

Cheers

hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 2:50pm
That was one of my options. Though i don't know how easy that will turn out since the cabs are already finished.

Unfortunately yesterday i had an accident. I stood on ladders (A-ones) and was painting a wall. The step under my feet fell off and otherwise i would've fallen too on the floor unless i hadn't been reaching to corner. The tip of the 'A' went through my rib and i got stuck on the ladders since my feet didn't reach the floor. An ambulance took me to hospital and at first they were scared that there were problems in my lungs or other internal organs because i had problems with breathing. I think i had good luck, since now it looks like that only the rib is broken. The doctor said that there *might* turn out some  problems in my spleen later on. But i think it will be OK since i feel rather good now.

It means that i'm at least 3 weeks away from work and hobbies. At least now i have time to play with hornresp..

-Jani-

Edited by hiphei
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 3:35pm

How easy it is depends on the opening/location of the backdoor, can you fit it in in one piece?

Otherwise you can use multiple pieces (to form one piece) to do the job. It would even strenghten the construction in that way.

Quote The tip of the 'A' went through my rib and i got stuck on the ladders since my feet didn't reach the floor

Sounds painfull

Quote At least now i have time to play with hornresp..

There should be a smiley there instead

Good luck!

hiphei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiphei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2005 at 4:40pm
Back in business again! Damn.. it took 5 weeks to get the rib in such condition that i was able to go to work! I'm happy that i got away with such a small injury! Ever since it has been one helluva hassle with work and apartment, etc. We also managed to get the sound done for biggest airshow in Finland last weekend.. phew! About 2,5km of cable, 29 horns and a bunch of trannies..

Since there is very nice/informative thread about LAB excursion going on at PSW (Not just LAB alone but there is also great links about simulations and high-power speaker excursion in general) i thought i'd link it here (just in case someone hasn't noticed it yet..).

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/6891/0/0/0

http://www.klippel.de/pubs/assesslargsign/assessing_large_si gnal_performance.pdf

http://www.klippel.de/background/default.asp

To Mobiele Eenheid: I think i will need to make the mod with smaller bites as You suggested! They need to fit through driver-hole! (Top cover is removable) I just hope that i'm able to get summer vacation during summer!

Cheers,
Jani
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>