Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed-=SHOW OFF YOUR SOUND SYSTEM!!!!=-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 379380381382383 735>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2009 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by loonie loonie wrote:

Originally posted by tallmike tallmike wrote:

Originally posted by loonie loonie wrote:

Originally posted by tallmike tallmike wrote:

I'm using those community things as house system in King's Lynn, they've got a nice sweet top end!

Really? Where abouts? I'd love to go and hear them as they look great for the size to sound ratio.

King's Lynn Corn Exchange - they're the in-house system that I used for delays.

Top end was nice, but had to pull out loads of 200hz, but I didn't get too good a look at how the system was configured so it may have been some over-zeaous house EQ.

System I used was 1x Quake and 2x Meyer CQ-1 per side, great in-house staff there as well.

Crikey, King's Lynn uses Quakes Shocked

Need to get my arse over there with some test CD's LOL

No no no.. the Quakes and CQ's were supplied by us!

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 2:55am
what do you make of this mike?

My Demo1 I designed after reading all the GOOD reviews on the EM site, obviously they won't have any bad ones but read this from CSG

"Hello Mikey

The em quakes seem to be very depenant on position / performance. in their first position against a wall and on the floor, they sounded like a bag of nails.

when we moved them to the position in the pic, they were much happier. they drop lower than the punnishers, but the puns make a far better 1 box bass solutuon with greater output, punch and speed. for my purposes, i dont need to go below 40. as far as most people are concerned, 40 is really low, and far lower than most pa systems reach effectively"

Now, the Puns don't come anywhere near the Demo1Confused

Don't believe the Hype as they say? or are they tastey? it all reads very tastey on their site

H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 7:40am
Quakes need to be in blocks of 4 stacked 2 wide 2 high so the 4 mouths make one big mouth to really get the most out of them, if you have more just go higher.
I've never heard a 'single quake' but i would guess it would have the same problems a most horns when not stacked together - ie not much LF.
Maybe tallmike can comment as i believe he has a few - i've only ever heard 4 stacked as above and it was pretty stonking IMHO.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 8:55am
well, interestingly ( and since my posts seem to be jumping between threads!), in their first "unhappy" position, they were stacked just like that - ie 2 high, 2 wide, with the further advantage of quarter space loading from the large rear brick wall, and concrete floor. they did not work well at all in that position - so badly infact that Mike and I were looking at each other, wondering if some drivers were blown / out of phase etc

we even tried different amps - swapping the FFA for a PL380 etc, but no good

on moving the bins to 4 in a line in 1/2 space, with the mouths nearest the floor, they really opened up and i would say that they performed very well indeed - the trade off for the extra extention compared with the punnishers being slightly lower spl capability as you would expect

all in all, whilst the quakes are not the holy grail of subs, they seem to be very effective indeed if used / stacked in a way they like - and at sub 40Hz, results seem to be ever more depenant on the enviroment, as well as the enclosures producing those frequencies
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:24am
Mmm I heard them at the pub round the corner from Plasa - seemed to work in there.
tallmike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:35am

For a lot of uses, the Quakes aren't the best solution - they do go very low, but like most people I don't need to go below 40hz either, so for almost all smaller jobs I use 215s.

I think the way that the Quake performs very well is in terms of linear response (as far as I know, it was never designed to be a 'dance' sub, just as a large-format LF extension for a sound reinforcement system),  and the ability to throw very far... to be honest we never really did much listening from afar, just judged the bins on what they sounded like from 10 feet away. Which to be honest, shorter horn bins with more drivers would be more effective at.

I was very impresed with Chris's punnishers, they really sounded good, and just as importantly they are designed as such that you can get an awful lot of sound into a van and still have room!
Wrighty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:03am
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

something tells me you lot have too much time on your hands! should be out building more cabs for us to gaze at on the thread!!

cant believe plymouth has had absolutely NO snow at all today, seems the only place in the UK haha

It was snowing hard in Tavistock this morning and there's been a bit more at work (middle of the moors) over night...

http://www.dartcom.co.uk/dartcam
ALL YOUR BASS ARE BELONG TO US.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 10:58am
sorry Mike & chris, didn't realise you were at the same gigEmbarrassed
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2009 at 9:30pm
It seems csg/Chris has done a very good job on his double Punisher bins. A mistake many people seem to make is to build a single Punisher and judge the design from that. Using a block of four or more is a much more appropriate way of showing the capabilities of the design. And of course a rock solid build also helps!

Best regards,

Walt
the smf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 5:47pm
and now...........

Existenze Records - http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/downloadstore/release/6625
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by webshawn webshawn wrote:

Jolly nice rack sir!  Am a little suprised to see those tasty Labs controlled by budget Behringer gear (not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that), I'm wondering if you are satisfied with the current arrangement or do you have any plans to upgrade them and what to?

.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
numtie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by the smf the smf wrote:

and now...........

Another picture of a speaker looking very dark cleaned and sortid. insadently anyone who has pics of speakers that are at a venue and you just wish you mange to get a better shot i.e to dark or the color is wrong pm me and ill sort it out :)
Disco Hire Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 379380381382383 735>