Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v system please confirm it'll work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rellizate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 8:30pm
I've already bought the amp, it'ss a TA2020 based one (20w RMS) , i'm seriously considering one or two of these:
http://www.djkit.com/gemini/gemini-rs-308.html

I want to run for a good few hours. What are your thoughts?
BrightonJake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightonJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 8:42pm
I would say the clue is in the description:

Gemini RS-308 480W Passive Speaker
DJK05865
Gemini RS-308
8" Passive Loudspeaker
- 2-way high power passive speaker system
- 480W peak, 120W RMS
- 8" woofer with 1.5" voice coil
- Compression driver with 1" coil
- Linear frequenc...[
http://www.djkit.com/gemini/gemini-rs-308.#readmore - read more ]

And your amp is 20 W..... buy 2 and I recon you might get 1.8 mins playtime...:@/

EDIT - Wrong end of the stick. Confused the 480 W to be battery drain. Need beer

Edited by BrightonJake - 15 May 2011 at 9:14pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 8:56pm

Originally posted by BrightonJake BrightonJake wrote:

And your amp is 20 W..... buy 2 and I recon you might get 1.8 mins playtime...:@/

What are you talking about? A TA2020 amp on a 7Ah battery will lasts over 30 hours with a set of 8 ohms speaker.

The problem with those speaker is that they don't list sensitivity which is most important spec at all for a 12V system.

Edited by Saturnus - 15 May 2011 at 8:57pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightonJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:04pm
yes - sorry, im talking rubbish.. Saturnus is right on both counts
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:05pm

I would say the clue is in the description:

Gemini RS-308 480W Passive Speaker

DJK05865

Gemini RS-308

8" Passive Loudspeaker

- 2-way high power passive speaker system

- 480W peak, 120W RMS

- 8" woofer with 1.5" voice coil 

- Compression driver with 1" coil

- Linear frequenc...[ http://www.djkit.com/gemini/gemini-rs-308.#readmore - read more ]

Not entirely sure what maths you're using mate! Wacko

Rellizate, the battery you linked to will give a clear 10 hours + by my reckoning. The average power output will be roughly 1/6 the RMS output. As combined RMS output is 40wrms, the average power is 7w. This is with running pink noise however - music signals use around half the power - so thats down to around 4w.  Add onto this a worst case scenario of 1w idle power and you have 5w usage.

The battery you linked to has 6Ah usable power, which gives 72Wh (12*6). At 5w power then this translates to 14.4 hours. In reality this can easily be double this though Smile

if you want more noise, an easy solution is to run a tk2050 based amplifier off two 7Ah batteries in series. This will give you 6db more noise, with around half the runtime

Edited by infrasound - 15 May 2011 at 9:13pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:11pm
  The exact power consumption of a TA2020 amp is 350mA (4.2W @ 12V)when driven to just before clipping into a pair of 4 ohms speakers and 60mA (720mW @ 12V) in idle. It's 200mA with a pair of 8 ohms speakers.  

Edited by Saturnus - 15 May 2011 at 9:14pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:18pm

Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

if you want more noise, an easy solution is to run a tk2050 based amplifier off two 7Ah batteries in series. This will give you 6db more noise, with around half the runtime

Far less actually. 6dB is 4 times the power so it should be a quarter of the running time but a TK2050 also has far more quiscent current so at least 5 times less battery time.

The strange thing is that a TK2050 amp on 24V actually uses more power in idle than a TA2020 amp does at full power.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightonJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:20pm
I would be supprised to get 6 AH out of a 7 AH battery.....
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

I agree mostly with Blaize110, except for the bit about car batteries.

I am not sure what you mean by being careful how you discharge them?!! The whole point is that you are dictating the discharge by what you connect to them. 1) a car (mega big harsh gulps of juice) or 2) Audio amplification (moderate, continuous, lengthy discharge). That is why I suggest you certainly dont waste good money on the wrong battery (a car battery)!.....am I missing something?

echoed.  cyclic 12v sla.  not a car battery

If you're going to go out and _buy_ one - then yes, definitley get a cyclic type rather than car battery.

But I've used a 45Ah car battery (which I got given for nothing by a flatmate who was leaving the country) to run a cheapy 350W inverter with a bit of mains-powered gear - and it worked perfectly well for run-times of 5-6 hours. Although a cyclic type will get you better run-times, and will most likely last longer (long-term).

The thing about "leisure" batteries (which are the optimal _type_ .... is that they start at 85Ah or so - weighing in at well over 20Kg .... a bit overkill for a smallish system - unless you want to play for the whole weekend etc.

I still say the Lithium packs are a btter choice if you care about the weight though .....

If - OTOH - you want to run a Tripath 2050 amplifier (higher power) - needing 24V or so - then go the SLA route.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightonJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:24pm
Hmmm... interesting info re charge/voltage. Most likely undermines my last post, but hey ho

http://www.scubaengineer.com/documents/lead_acid_battery_charging_graphs.pdf

I would not go below 70-80 % discharge (20-30% charged)

Edited by BrightonJake - 15 May 2011 at 9:27pm
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:28pm

I would be supprised to get 6 AH out of a 7 AH battery.....

Once they've been used a few times, the cheap ones I used ended up with 6Ah usable capacity. (As measured during charging). The Yuasa ones on the other hand had 6.5Ah usable. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightonJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:35pm
What voltage do you end up with though? The min voltage for a sla is around 11.8V, after that you are going to start getting build up on the plates. You can get away with it a bit and charging up straight away helps, but still... 6-6.5 seems a little optimistic without causing damage...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>