Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2226H jbl folded horn plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2226H jbl folded horn plans
    Posted: 24 January 2007 at 12:17pm

Gud bass everyone!I have 4 2226H 15" here on my stock.Can someone share me a folded horn plans for these speakers?I will use them outdoors so a long throwing bass folded horn if possible.We use to do outdoor live band rig.Im using 4 w bins right now(Keele's bin) for our bass with 2240H drivers in them.We need more bass and kick.Thank u very much guys!

I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
topcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 5:35pm
Hi,

this is the "brother" of your keels's bin for 2x15" speakers

the 2226H will work in it

Best regards,
Topcom
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2007 at 9:00pm
Hi!Thanks fellow pro audio lover.I like the design very much & i also know that it would sound very fat.My problem lies on the size of the box.Im planning to build the folded hoorn featured in the speakerplans link,something like the SL36 by Cerwin Vega but a smaller version...will it be possible guys?The small truck that were using won't be enough to take all our stuff.Is there any smaller one which this one will fit?...one driver per box if possible?Any idea?????anyone???Thank u!

Edited by ychole audio - 25 January 2007 at 10:26am
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Hugo Biermann View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Biermann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 4:41pm
Its a 15. The horns will be long if you want lower frequencies. So, the boxes will be quite big. Sell them and buy 18's and maybe look at something like 4 186's with P-Audio C18-650's inside? Thats the most compact you'll be able to go to reach down to only 50HZ with two bins a side.
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 6:29pm
the 215 horn bin i have just built is supposed to be for a pair of 2226s...

i made mine shorter, but kept the footprint and layout. the only exception to this was changing the nature of the access panel flange arrangements which as you can see from the picture above, eliminated any mitre cuts greater than 45 degrees. stand-alone performance of my modded cabinet has indeed made me wonder what a pair of the correctly proportioned bins loaded with the prescribed woofer might do...

alternatively, you might like to try the martin 215 mkIII which could also be loaded with 2226s if memory serves...

i've just checked in the manual actually and it doesn't mention them, but i'm sure it's been done. this would be a little punchier, but not quite as much extension as the other 215. of course, like most horns they really come into their own in stacks, so you'd probably find yourself wanting to build some more as two a side is where things start to get interesting. three's where the real fun starts.

james.
mardy hippy.
ychole audio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ychole audio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 6:42pm
Hi!Thanks again for the recomendation.Its remarkable to hear from u how this design perform.I like the design,maybe ill take the measurements & modify....cut into half to fit one jbl 2226H  in each box....one driver in each box.Would u mind if ill ask u how it sounded...how low?.....kicky bass?Is it throwing that long?What driver did u use substituting the 2226H?Will the E-140 jbl work with this too?Sorry for this bunch of questions...
I am ZERIEL'S dad!!!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2007 at 7:45pm
i don't think splitting the box down the middle to make two will work properly... bifurcated horns is a topic i'm not really understanding at present, but as i follow the drivers "share" some of that final flare.

e140s... now that's a different story. what you really want to put them in is some of these...

...for the ultimate in tight, fast, punchy and musical kick bass. only downsides are that you need a subwoofer to complement them (see the giatt sub thread for my latest attempts to make something to fulfill that role for my 215mkIIs) and that they are large, heavy, and a bit of an odd shape. they are way cool though and allow you to cross quite cleanly to a medium format horn midrange, such as a 10" or 12" at as much as 250 Hz.

that 215 i've just built isn't very kicky, but that might also be the driver choice and box tampering. it's much more "subby" than a mkII bin, gets a bit honky at 160 Hz crossover or even a bit lower, but i also unplugged it for a while whilst doing some more evaluating and plugged in the giatt instead. all of a sudden the music took on a whole 'nother depth as notes that i hadn't really been noticing started shaking the room... so it's all relative.

i'm all for split bass, if you can handle the processing complexity (read cost) it's the way to a fuller sound. dedicated straight horn doing the kick and high bass, crossed to some esoteric subwoofer solution. i like things like the wicked one and giatt (and indeed the x1) because they offer stand alone sub bass performance to supplement a kick bin, without the need to resort to huge stacks of mega-unwieldy horns. the big boys have lab subs, but i couldn't live with them!

james.
mardy hippy.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 4:53am
Where did u find that photo James? its a pukka Martin publicity photo,excellent stuff.must be 30 years old.
  If any of the younger members havent heard what these cabs will do,please please try and listen to some,with modern drivers and amplification they sound amazing......it really suprises me that no-one is building a pair,as i dont think construction would be difficult.
  Re.the 215James-horn...im just wondering,seeing u think its a bit more "subby" James,if that were to be built exactly the same,but with 2x 12" Ciare drivers?......u see what i was getting at with the Mega 212?.
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 5:20am
that's right ian, it's screen grabbed off the 215 datasheet. i think one of the reasons that nobody builds these is that there are no available plans to work from. i do keep intending to measuring up a pair next time i've got some in bits, it'll happen before too long i dare say... not so sure they're that easy a build though, especially that bit in the throat that (most of) your ass bins don't have.

regarding the 2 x 12"... yup. that's exactly what i had been thinking myself, only wasn't that a trap cab too? i got to be thinking about this immediately after having visited noise control audio and spoken to raey for the best part of a morning, hence posessing a bent to make a box with no parallel walls and a constant flare expansion. i ended up redesigning the 215 for 12s on scraps of paper until i had something that looked almost entirely like an ass mx1200, which i feel kind of validates the design process!

james.
mardy hippy.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 5:38am
James,the Mega 212 was only slightly flared in same way that a mk11 is,its not a trap.cab....i was just thinking it might work well under a mk11 and share a similar footprint.
From what i can remember,the front mouth of the Mega 212 was about 44ins (same as a mk11) and the rear end was about 36ins...it was the same 19" height.
Ian.
Be seeing you.
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 6:36am
i tested a JBL2226H in a HD15 http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=hd15horn i was very impresed, lots of kick and plenty of volume.

re the 215 MK2: i have been thinking of building some kind of replica for a while but have only come up with a similar plan by Celestion. i think the project may be some way off now, but i would stil like to get there at some point.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2007 at 6:42am
static age, i am seriously thinking of consolidating my pa and off-loading a pair of mkII copies, three a side is a better number for me to own i think. you interested in borrowing these to see if they're what you want?

james.
mardy hippy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>