Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tops for Roots reggae?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SatvaSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tops for Roots reggae?
    Posted: 27 November 2016 at 12:39pm
what are some great for affordable top drivers for roots reggae i have been advised on a 2" drivers ?
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 2:25pm
I think maybe you should give us more of an idea of what you think is affordable. Generally roots sounds go for a 2" on high mids then use tweeters (bullets or piezos) for the very high frequencies.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 2:59pm
Then again, some people spend more than intended, when they understand, buying cheap crap, will mean buying twice.LOL

But as Ken said, Decent 2" + Bullets, is typical big man Roots setup.

Edited by levyte357- - 27 November 2016 at 3:00pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
SatvaSounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SatvaSounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 3:22pm
what are some good 2" to be looking for,  will P audio cut it?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by SatvaSounds SatvaSounds wrote:

B&C/Beyma better.
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by SatvaSounds SatvaSounds wrote:

It does depend on what you want to achieve, and what frequency range you plan to run at. The P-Audio BM-D750 gives you a lot for the money, but you will find you need a little more EQ to get it to sound 'right' than you would with other comp drivers.

Other little issue, virtually no stock in the UK until February as we've just had a massive run on BM-D750.

You could potentially get the sound you want with the BM-D740 which is a 1.4" - the diaphragm is identical to the BM-D750, just a slightly smaller throat.

If you've already got 2" flares, then you cant go far wrong with B&C or Beyma, both make some exceptional compression drivers, and in amongst them there are some reasonably affordable options.

Beyma CP750 has always been a very popular comp driver, and will definitely do the job with ease, and the B&C DE75PTN is also very popular.

Edited by Andy Kos - 27 November 2016 at 7:04pm
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 6:08pm
What about the Beyma SMC-60  on a budget?
It's everything, not everythink!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 6:42pm
Beyma 750TI and 755TI are proven to provide exceptional sound quality & SPL for the money.

Think, certain parts of the PA system cannot be "too cheap", or it becomes false economy, when you  consider added costs of repeat replacing/repairing, due to component being inferior for purpose, due to costs.
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 6:54pm
if your looking second hand then JBL is still a good choice. Plenty bargains out there on 2445 if u cross over under 6khz or 2446 which go higher and still sound sweet. Only real drawback is that they are heavy.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 7:47pm
Just use google/speakerplan search for compression drivers. Will give you a broader spectrum of whats gd at what and for how much. Pidgeon holing to reggae or even roots reggae will get you fewer responses.
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
cookie-dj View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie-dj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 8:11pm
I use BMD750 comps on a large format horn. They need a bit of eq boost to get any sort of sparkle but it does sound good (to my ears anyway) in the near field.

If I need any bullets in the future, I will probably get Selenium ST400's - JBL use them in their new club series stacks 

You can't polish a turd!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2016 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by cookie-dj cookie-dj wrote:

I use BMD750 comps on a large format horn. They need a bit of eq boost to get any sort of sparkle but it does sound good (to my ears anyway) in the near field.

If I need any bullets in the future, I will probably get Selenium ST400's - JBL use them in their new club series stacksĀ 

That'll be because they own them more than anything else. Check the Faital Pro if you want bullets.

I also highly recommend their compression drivers for the cash.

Edited by toastyghost - 27 November 2016 at 8:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>