Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Lighting Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional lights vs LED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traditional lights vs LED
    Posted: 21 September 2016 at 8:41pm
At the moment I'm doing a small install in the building I help look after. There is no budget but so much good stuff happens there that I'm willing to stump up the cash for a basic lighting package.

So quite frequently there is theatre style shows happening or rehearsals. Local community level stuff. And at present there is no sensible lighting. So I was thinking maybe I could purchase (used) the following as a basic setup but unsure how to proceed.

Option 1 - Easy to hook up and operate. Cheap.
2x Zero88 AlphaPack
4x CCT Minuets 650w-800w
2x CCT Zooms
4x StudioPar 54s 800w

Option 2 - Easy to hook, slightly difficult to program but could be setup to be simple. More flexible going forwards due to DMX.
2x DMX Dimmers ie BetaPack, Transcension 6ch DMX Dimmer, Strand ACT6 etc
1x Transcension SDC6 or other simple desk
2x Zero88 AlphaPack
4x CCT Minuets 650w-800w
2x CCT Zooms
4x StudioPar 54s 800w

Option 3 - Easy to hook up, difficult to program but could be setup to be simple. Less lights due to higher cost per fixture. More versatile. Efficient. Less weight and cabling. Will run on 13a. Useful to me.
1x Simplish DMX Desk
6x Decent RGBAW LED Pars

I imagine the cost of each package would be about £600-1k. Question is, is there any reasonably powered LED pars/lights that can do a decent job of matching the above fixtures?

What is the difference between a CCT Minuet/Fresnel/ and a Standard Par? 

How many watts/lumens of LED do I need to match 800w Tungsten?
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:01am
stion is, is there any reasonably powered LED pars/lights that can do a decent job of matching the above fixtures?

- Yes, but not always budget friendly

What is the difference between a CCT Minuet/Fresnel/ and a Standard Par?

- Fresnel is a soft wash light that is variable in beam angle and shapeable with barn doors. A Profile (what you are calling zooms I guess) is a hard edged spot light that is (often but not always) variable in beam angle, can be put out of focus to soften the beam, shaped with shutters or used to project gobos. Par cans are fixed beam angle to the glass of the bubble, mostly softer in beam, and what you get out of them is just that, not really shapeable. Big Bang for your buck though.
How many watts/lumens of LED do I need to match 800w Tungsten?
-Your cct units I would advise not to lamp above 650w! Bit of a difficult question, as with Tungsten you subtract different wavelengths of light to get a certain colour, where as with LED sources you add different amounts of red, green, blue (and Amber and white if you have posh lights) to get the colour you require. So.... Apples and Oranges.

If it were my money I'd buy some led cans for doing coloured back and side light, and a few fresnels for doing key light.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 2:09am
Brilliant reply :) Thanks James!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 7:26am
Also, led cans come in a variety of beam angles, mostly fixed but some do zoom, generally the led zoom on cheap units is best avoided in my experience. About 40° seems to be usual for wide, and about 20° for narrow, which will appear brighter due to the light not being spread over such a large area, but will be more of a beam than a flood. For your application I would look for something in the wider beam angle, in order to cover more stage area.

In terms of controller then the cheap £10 chamsys dongle on an old computer is a good start, or if you want faders then look at something like an old zero 88 XLS, can be had for about £100, lots of faders that can be programmed down to sub masters and a couple of chases.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:12am
For real low budget leds - but with a fairly tight beam angle (25º) look at :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-LED-Par-Can-RGB-Amber-White-UV-6-in-1-Hex-LED-QTX-154-032UK-/322088856761?hash=item4afdfdecb9

Plus 4 of these from a speaker plans member (look like a cct minuette but with better barn doors, the cct ones are the work of the devil)

Plus a dimmer and a desk, clamps, cables etc should be in your budget

Edited by James Tengo - 22 September 2016 at 11:15am
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 11:49am
option 4 ;)

Stage lighting package.

2 x strand act 6 dmx dimmers
1 x APS road box 12 u flight case
2 x Thomas 6 way bars with CP62 lamps
2 x 30m socapex cables
2 x 15a to socapex spiders

£600

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 9:02pm
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">.

The LED units on ebay were the subject of a thread on the Blue Room.
http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=67538&hl=%20budget%20%20led&st=15
User feedback is very positive and they appear to have a wider beam angle than the ebay listing suggests. Cases are plastic but you can't have everything for that money.

HTH
Down with signatures!
 Post Reply Post Reply