Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 5:36pm
I like the look of them! How did you paint the fiberglass silver so nicely? I always worry it would run or react etc.

I am going down the corporate look on these stacks. Black with foam fronts.

@dylan I'm only doing 2 stacks at the Moment will do the other stacks after Christmas. I am heating the paint up and scrapping it off with a wall paper scrapper then rubbing the rough off. Tried just sanding and was getting no where.

Jace
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 5:39pm
Sounds like a right task mate!

As classic as Turbo Blue is, black makes a lot more sense for an every day versatile rig. As does the line-x!
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 5:43pm
Be prepared for them to be heavier after the Line-X coating!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Sounds like a right task mate!

As classic as Turbo Blue is, black makes a lot more sense for an every day versatile rig. As does the line-x!

Yeah turbo blue is nice! But not for the type of work I seem to be getting sound wise these days.

By any chance would anyone happen to know what the original paint used by Turbosound was? It is nice and thick, rubber type. Much more dense than tuff cab and a lot smoother than TriMite.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 6:34pm
I always thought it was Aldcroft but don't quote me on that. 
King George View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

I like the look of them! How did you paint the fiberglass silver so nicely? I always worry it would run or react etc.

I am going down the corporate look on these stacks. Black with foam fronts.

@dylan I'm only doing 2 stacks at the Moment will do the other stacks after Christmas. I am heating the paint up and scrapping it off with a wall paper scrapper then rubbing the rough off. Tried just sanding and was getting no where.

Jace

As it goes they were done in the downstairs shower of my old student house with car paint/primer... I of course looked into the best way to paint ABS first rather then just attacking them with a rattle can!

I agree black is the most versatile solution, if you ever need them to look more menacing, you can take the grilles off...
djkrusada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkrusada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Jace

I also would be interested to hear what you did to paint the fiberglass please :)
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by King George King George wrote:

My old floodlights when I finished refurbing them Embarrassed

Not to the taste of a purist I'm sure, but I'm young and like shiny stuff. 

awesome! any more pictures of them? 
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 3:04pm
Oooooh nice, I like a good refurb thread.... tough, tough work getting cabs back to bare wood, but totally worth it once done. Keep them original Jace, gotta be turbo blue in my opinion. Good luck Thumbs Up
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 3:18pm
Nitromors, wait a few minutes then scrape off. Any left over in grooves and awkward places, nitromors and wire wool
Mykey Wattco
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 3:22pm
Loving the tiled floor😊

if you clear lacquer that silver it will 'pop' as they say in the custom car world
Mykey Wattco
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 3:44pm
Ha - well spotted there with the classic tiles.  I would of thought car body paint would be fine with a clear coat on top.
music is the message
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>