Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Turbosound thl-811 & Tms-4 value - Need input !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound thl-811 & Tms-4 value - Need input !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbosound thl-811 & Tms-4 value - Need input !
    Posted: 08 May 2012 at 4:18pm
I have spooted some used Turbosound thl 811 & tms-4.
The drivers inside are broken, prob. need recone or something. The subdrivers in TMS-4 is working.

Are 4x thl 811 + 4x TMS-4 for 1k £ a good buy?

What would you consider the driver change will cost? Should I buy or stay away?

Add on: What drivers will be good replacements?

Edited by Aztor - 23 May 2012 at 11:35pm
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:31pm
recone kits for the thl 811 mids cost about £60 each over here. 
the diaphragms are bms can't remember the exact model number but talk to tony wilkes on here , he'll sort you the correct ones at a very good price. if i remember about £50 each or around that figure. 
so each thl 811 is gonna cost you £110ish to sort if you can do the recones yourself. 

probably very similar prices for the mid and top of the tms 4 . 

of course that is hoping the drivers are reconeable if not it starts getting expensive fast........ 
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 8:55pm
 ok. Thanks. Should I buy them? Is it a good deal? Still waiting for reply from the seller.   

Edited by Aztor - 08 May 2012 at 8:56pm
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:24pm

Start with it's a reasonable price for a set of drivers, the woodwork, mouldings, network cards, connectors, wiring. wheels maybe even foams.. 

But there a lot to look for.  Tms4's can be anything up to 25 years old.  The Drivers, magnets move, coils & diaphragms burn out, cones fail, get replaced withnon factory brands.  The mouldings get damaged often over tightened & they crack. Electronically the  network cards can melt, connectors get abused, wiring gets butchered.  Then there is the whole cosmetic trip. 

So unless you can afford the gamble, my advice is that although it is a good price it can easily be a poor bargain.  So I would highly recommend that you go & have a good look. 

Edited by 4D - 08 May 2012 at 9:51pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Djdarch View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Djdarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:26pm
well its up to you really , if they were in the uk id buy them for £1k .
If you can go have a look and see what state the blown drivers are in that might help, as if there are a load with siezed magnets or missing drivers it may put you off. But yeah its your money your decision!! 
will_i_am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will_i_am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:37pm
thats a bargain any way you look at it. IMO even if most of the drivers are blown thats a good deal
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by will_i_am will_i_am wrote:

thats a bargain any way you look at it. IMO even if most of the drivers are blown thats a good deal

You could be buying into what approx 

1 x purchase      £ 1000.00
4 x 18" recones £   600.00
8 x 10" recones £   800.00
8 x diaphragms £   400.00
8 x networks     £   600.00  

Including all the running around 

That kind of money cannily spent can go a long way.. Even if its two thirds of that..  

Oh and I forgot whilst your looking the TMS4 the beyma compression drivers often suffer badly from corrosion so pop one out & take the lid off..:) 

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

That kind of money cannily spent can go a long way.. Even if its two thirds of that..  

Oh and I forgot whilst your looking the TMS4 the beyma compression drivers often suffer badly from corrosion so pop one out & take the lid off..:) 

save the £600 for the PX4, the T4 is fully active box and the bi-amp ones aren't that good!Smile
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:01am
in fact, re-reading this post, all looks like crap, hook me up with the vendor and I'll give £100 for the trouble as the sale completes!
TmanG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TmanG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:48am
Sounds like a good deal to me bud unless they are really messed up. Have a look at them, chances are drivers won't be original and they may be a bit tatty but for £1000 you'd be looking pretty good. 

If I were in Norway i'd have em

Edit: damn dfds seaways closing newcastle to norway link lol

Edited by TmanG - 09 May 2012 at 1:06am
will_i_am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will_i_am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:38am
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

i stand by my original post! Smile The 18's work according to OP, scrap the px4/5's and i would be unlikely to be paying full price all the way up on 16 recone kits/diaphragms, that said you are in norway...
working and in good condition that is easily £4000 worth of boxes to the right buyer/seller
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:36am
I have tried to call the man today, but haven't got any reply. Hopefully I will get a positive reply.

What drivers could be used as replacement? Preferably PD/BMS drivers. If the orginal ones are not reconeable.

I read some threads regaring the xovers inside the boxes. and some said it would be better to bypass them.

What dangers is there to be aware of? eg. corrosion on comp driver. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>