Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound TSE 211/215 Good? And Value?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 1:06am
I have to say I've never done but a guy that worked at Turbo (Bogieman if anyone knew him) said it could be done and I've seen tms4s go on eBay in horizontal mode and get re-sold acouple of weeks later in normal mode so i believe it can be done....
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:25am
Rotatable possibly he was mistaken, I owned 32 of the things for some 12 years and methinks its just not, possible, starting with the  2" difference between height & width. The partition between the 10" and the 1". The the cross member that the Beyma pokes through,  really it would require some serious modification of the mouldings and some really drastic moves with the woodwork.   I still have half a dozen up the back of the shed if I get time I will whip a back panel off and take a pic' 
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:48am
What shops & persons are selling spares for the Turbosound speakers? TMS-4,  811 & TSE-211. 
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

Rotatable possibly he was mistaken, I owned 32 of the things for some 12 years and methinks its just not, possible, starting with the  2" difference between height & width. The partition between the 10" and the 1". The the cross member that the Beyma pokes through,  really it would require some serious modification of the mouldings and some really drastic moves with the woodwork.   I still have half a dozen up the back of the shed if I get time I will whip a back panel off and take a pic' 
You are right, I've just looked at my TMS4s, Possibley a shaved down 1" wave guide used on the horizontal TMS-4 (like they crop the mid-device widthways on a tms2?) to make the mid-hi section square....

Now I need to find a sideways TMS4 to take the back off!!!!!!

LOL
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Aztor Aztor wrote:

What shops & persons are selling spares for the Turbosound speakers? TMS-4,  811 & TSE-211. 
In the UK calls for all thing blue rapidly end up with Pete @ Crystal Pro Audio, but for you I'd call Turbosound in the Uk and ask who/what they have local to you.

Mark @ Bonza sound (again UK) knows a lot about Turbo Boxes and was talking about a Dutch Company with a load, may be worth calling him and getting there details as they would probably have contacts with the mainland European Turbo community...

All else fails I know the Band Iron Maiden still have a load of TMS-3s (all V1 so no 1" drivers) but, to be honest the 10" is the critical bit and and the 1" are beyma/EV OEM anyways.

If it helps a company I work for will be in Stravanger for Offshore Northern Seas 2012 and I am sure i could get a few drivers put onto the truck if you could get them to me in the UK....
Smile
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:06pm
Thanks! I have brought two, so will be good to get 10x turbo tops. Big smile
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:17pm
Ok, I'm thinking about some subs. What is recommended under the TSE-211?
- tse215
- TSW-124*
- TSW118**
- Martin 215 MK2
- Funktion-One 218
-
Thl-828
- TSE218

*I have read that it is "slow"
** The bottom end of TMS-4?
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Aztor Aztor wrote:

Ok, I'm thinking about some subs. What is recommended under the TSE-211?
- tse215
- TSW-124*
- TSW118**
- Martin 215 MK2
- Funktion-One 218
-
Thl-828
- TSE218

*I have read that it is "slow"
** The bottom end of TMS-4?
A TSE 215will give you a TMS3 when coupled with the 211, but no sub, but may be an option.
A TSW-124 is the size of a TMS-3 on it back, weighs a tonne, won't play over 90Hz (you need to hit 250Hz to meet your 10") and is pretty musch known for killing crew and slipping magnets...
A TSW 118 won't run up to 250,  won't produce much sub but won't kill you.
The Martin is the wrong colour and shape, and will struggle to 250 from memory, great box but, no....
FK-218 can't hit 250 either, great box but not for this...
No idea about the THL series, the Hi-light was a bit 3rd world IMHO
A 218 will give you the same output as 2 x TMS4s, if you can find some I would use thes sat on TSW-721s or TSW-718/FK-218s....

Smile
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:22am
The specs for the TSE-211 states 150hz as low xover:
http://www.sonoeseo.com/files/docs/Turbosound_TMS-3.pdf

Is this wrong? Shocked
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:28am
Every box I have run with a 10" on a Turbo Mid-Device has had a 250 cut point, I am not saying it won't get to 150, but I susptect the sound won't be pleasant, the efficiency of the whole job will go south and the chances of shredding it you increase expotentially...

I have to assume this is a mis-print, the fact the box has 2x10" won't alter the low end extension as they are sealed in the "Turbo fruit bowls" at the back....

Unless you can find a pallet of spare drivers, I'd go LR24@250!!!

Big smile

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:34am
In fact even that link agrees :-

Smile
Aztor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aztor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:35am
Hmm. I think I will go 2-way sub then. 2x15" tubostyle kickbins. Something like 2x HD's. With something else beneath. Would USB or ES18-bph work?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>