Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turntables used by sound systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2015 at 2:43pm
I fixed the Philips 212 with my friend. Changed the rca cables for better (and shorter),changed the bulbs,fixed the touch buttons and deactivated the auto stop function.

I learned a lot about turntables by fixing this,and I saved a lot of money by doing it myselfBig smile

I just changed the cart to shure m447 just to test if the turntable itself sounds different from my previous one. Cant say nothing for sure yet but it seems to sound different.

I infact quite liked the sound of the old AT cart it had in it.

Anyone used any of the Grado cartridges? Id like to experiment with different cartridges,grado has these dj carts too,anyone tested them?
"what!?"
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2015 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by app app wrote:

Anyone used any of the Grado cartridges? Id like to experiment with different cartridges,grado has these dj carts too,anyone tested them?

I have the Grado DJ 100. Soundwise it's definitely an improvement over Ortofons. It reproduces low level details very nicely (reverb tails etc.) and the high frequencies sound more clear. It needs more gain though, and with Technics SL 1200 it also picks up a little bit of hum from the motor at the inner grooves. That shouldn't be a problem with a belt drive turntable.

Feedback wise it is also more sensitive, but I think that shouldn't be an issue with your setup.

Miles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2015 at 6:38pm
here is a very nice article bout m44-7 cartridges, looks like some kind of a commercial for shure, interesting anyway...

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1837
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 12:24am
Phil has worked really good and sounds superb. A great turntable and the fact that its really simple means that it can be easily fixed if necessary. Also had no trouble with feedback whatsoever.

Highly recommended if you happen to find one!
"what!?"
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 12:35pm
I may sound boring but lately we refurbished our SL1200s with new arms, bearings and pitch faders. Also the height adjustment mechanism was cleaned and regreased. I have to say that the mechanical quality of bearings and all other moving parts seem pretty much as good as it can get. I am quite amazed that some years back you could get this much quality for less than 500 euros, I'm quite amazed that you could buy one for less than 1000 euros too few years back.

I'm boring but I think there is not much competition for the SL1200 as a complete package.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 1:44pm
Its a tank for sure! Also spare parts are widely available and they can be modded to what ever. A classic is a classic.

Im into old hifi stuff as I dont scratch or do nothing like that. Maybe someday Ill get a good thorens or something which is super high quality. The philips was said to be a "poormans thorens".

The prices of technics jumped up when they said that they will stop making them. Now they are available again on for sale sites from about 400€ and up. With 400€ you can also get a really nice vintage turntable.
"what!?"
Rich99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 4:33pm

Its a tank for sure! Also spare parts are widely available and they can be modded to what ever. A classic is a classic.

Im into old hifi stuff as I dont scratch or do nothing like that. Maybe someday Ill get a good thorens or something which is super high quality. The philips was said to be a "poormans thorens".

The prices of technics jumped up when they said that they will stop making them. Now they are available again on for sale sites from about 400€ and up. With 400€ you can also get a really nice vintage turntable.

A normal Lenco GL75 can be picked up for about £150, maybe less or you can be a lottery winner and buy this bad boy, weighing in at 29kgs!

No, I really don't know what I'm doing...
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Rich99 Rich99 wrote:

A normal Lenco GL75 can be picked up for about £150, maybe less or you can be a lottery winner and buy this bad boy, weighing in at 29kgs!

Thats a big boyBig smile
"what!?"
Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 10:51pm
Heres mine I got cut up for xmas, have a very tasty arm arriving soon in the post to complete it - 
purple monkey dishwasher
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by Cyklist Cyklist wrote:

Heres mine I got cut up for xmas, have a very tasty arm arriving soon in the post to complete it - 

ClapWhat turntable is it?

Do you use tube preamp? I got one chinese cheap from ebay and did some tube rolling and it sounds lush. Also showed it to the local old repair guy who is into tubes he "approved" it and said it has good stuff innit.

What arm did you get?
"what!?"
Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 11:27pm
Lenco 75, have to powder coat the platter black soon. Seriously amazing deck, Garrard and Lenco just got it right on the mechanics of the turntable

Am using an Audio research preamp and the Quad ii monoblocks and some McIntosh monoblocks.

Am keeping the arm quiet until I hopefully get it from the US, was thinking on a Jelco and found something better!!

purple monkey dishwasher
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2016 at 12:08am
Nice! My philips 212 sounds really good althou the tonearm looks and feels kinda weird,many have been surprised by the sound quality of the phil. So was I.

Need to start checking for some Lencos Big smile

My friend asked me to come and listen how music sounds from a 1959 tube radio with a turntable. Need to check that out for sure.
"what!?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>