Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

US made Vs other speaker manufacturers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3faze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US made Vs other speaker manufacturers
    Posted: 28 April 2016 at 8:07pm
I have seen many different speaker manufacturers talked about on this forum, but i would like to know your views on US made speakers (JBL) and others made outside the US.
I love building cabinets and i am always looking for compatible speakers to replace the US made drivers.

all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 8:42pm
Check out BMS, B&C, Eighteensound.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
pdr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pdr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 9:15pm
Check out Volt for stunning UK build quality Smile
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 10:39pm
The reason nobody uses JBL speakers any more (on this side of the pond) is cost. They are sold via a distributor / dealer network that treats them as consumer, rather than professional, products. With all the big mark-ups typical of a consumer market.

The biggest problem is the cost of recone kits and spares. It is usually cheaper to buy an equivalent (or better) complete speaker from a European manufacturer than to get a JBL reconed.

Back in the 1970's and early 80's American speaker components dominated the market here in the UK, and recone kits were reasonably priced.

I'd be interested to know if you have a similar problem in the States, with imported European speakers.

3faze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3faze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2016 at 10:56pm
Some of JBLs new drivers don't look or sound as good as older units. I am using sr4733x cabinets with the 2225 drivers and would like to build something like the SRX725, but the down size the horn and horn driver. I am using 2 X1s ibuilt with RCF 18N401 drivers and they are killer, would the RCF 15 neo kick like the JBL 2225s in the srx725 type cabinet?

Post Reply Post Reply