Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

using 120V amp in 220V country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using 120V amp in 220V country
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:53am
Hi All,

I own a few QSC power amps I use for my sound system. In particular a QSC RMX2450, QSC MX1500a
and PLX 3002.
They all have 120V inputs as I bought them in US , where I currently live.
I most likely will move back to Europe next year so I'm researching on the internet what would be the best way of keeping them and using them in EU where the voltage is 220V.

Ideally I would like to keep them as they are good amps and I would also loose some money in just reselling them. 
My idea is to buy a couple of voltage converters / step up-down  and plug the amp into these. 
There are a few models of these voltage converters here in US that has very good reviews in terms of durability and quality of build. 
I'm currently using one of these to power up my home system that I brought with me from EU. I did;t have any issue with the current conversion set up ( from 120 V to 220V of my Rega amp and turntables )

The QSC are  more powerful , machines than my home hi-fi so I'm trying to understand if using voltage converters would be a good choice.

I'm thinking of getting a couple voltage converter rated up to 5500W...these should be enough to handle one or two of the above amps.
They are rated from 6.3 ( rmx2450) to 10 A ( plx 3002) so they should require from a 750 W for the rmx2450 to 1200W on the PLX at 4 ohms...this are typical W ratings from the specs manual.

From a theoretical point of view it should work as none of the amps will require up to 5000W even in situations where amp is "pushed" more than average levels.

Any idea or suggestion will be greatly appreciated

thanks

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:08am
some amplifier transformers are made with different taps for different supply voltages. don't poke about yourself if you don't know what you're doing but find someone who does know what they're doing maybe, and have them take a look at them. you can probably get the schematic for them too.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:36am
In all honesty? I'd sell up and buy the same amps rated at 220v.

Sell them before you leave the US, where they'll fetch their normal market rate, save the hassle and weight of transporting them to Europe, save the cost of a transformer, and then buy in Europe, where they should be a similar price to what you got for them in the US. 
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 11:44am

As cravings has already said, get an electronics engineer to look at them….

from memory the RMX and PLX can both be reconfigured to work on 220 - 240V, I seem to remember PLX having an internal link that changes the rectifier in the psu to work as a full bridge as opposed to a voltage doubler, and according to the schematic I have here the RMX has a transformer that can be rewired (using the internal terminals) to also run on 230V. I’d get this looked at by a qualified electronics engineer to check that it is defiantly possible and if so get it done.

A decent continuously rated 5KVA transformer weighs in at around 50Kgs (110lbs)!!

Edited by APW - 03 May 2017 at 11:45am
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:22pm
I have some step up transformers that I carry around. 100v to 120v. Japan. TBH it is a massive pain in the arse just one more thing to buy and carry. sadly sometimes I do need them here. I would get them rewired or sell them. I am busy buying all modern kit so that I can do away with them.The trans that is.
sicoroots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:34pm
hi all thanks for the replies ...it really help to get a better picture of this.
I'm also hesitant to get high Watts voltage converters and having to reply on those to have the sound running.
When the time comes I will look into having them converted into 220V by a qualified tech..QSC tech support  should be able to tell me if this can be done on the different amps I have now..
but yeah I guess it more of an hassle  using converters for such power demanding machines ..
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:33pm
there will be other things to change such as the value of parts in the soft starts, the circuit breakers and fusing. Service manuals will usually highlight the differences.
It was an over-simplistic voltage conversion of a gas tank that made Apollo 13 blow up. If Nasa can screw it up.....
Kevin

North Staffordshire

sicoroots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 10:48pm
i definitely don't want to repeat the explosion on a smaller scale...the more I read about it the more inclined I am in selling the gear and getting it in configurations made foe the local voltage..

what would be a good place to start looking ( online ) for used amps in UK or Holland ? other than Ebay ? 

sicoroots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:09pm
just an update for the ones who might be interested in this topic...

I have called QSC tech support at their HQ in california to ask about this particular issue.

They have confirmed that both amps RMX and MX series are built to work both on 110-120 V countries and 220-240V countries. They are manufactured with an internal switch that will do the voltage change.
I have asked twice about it and they were quite reassuring.
My confusion came from the fact that in the specs manual of both models under "power requirements" both voltage are listed with an additional "factory configured" information but on the actual back panel of the amp only 120V it's printed.
On some other appliances I have both Voltages are indicated in the actual item back panel info.
This made me think that amps made for US market were not the same as the ones you can find in EU...
the fact the back panels print has 120V info ins because of the country where it was intended to be distributed , in this case US...
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:41pm
Surely you can just wire two 120V amps in series as long as you turn them on at the same time Wink
sicoroots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoroots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:55pm
well...another update on this. I called QSC again because after reading about it I was not convinced about what I was told.

and at the end they confirmed  that both RMX and MX if configured for 120V ( as the back sticker says ) ONLY works on 120 V countries....

so I would have to get new amps or buy digital models that has the internal switch tech support talked about 

U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Surely you can just wire two 120V amps in series as long as you turn them on at the same time Wink

Ohh NOO! Very likely these would blow up because of the balance of Voltages are NOT solved!

There is no simple affordable solution to solve this issue unless the internal transformers have usable 230Vac "taps" .
Probably the manufacturer has not invested 2X length of half diameter wire for 230Vac operation for equipment sold on 115Vac market...

Edited by U.Viktor - 05 May 2017 at 7:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>