Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

v18 1000, PD186 or PD1850 in Super?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: v18 1000, PD186 or PD1850 in Super?
    Posted: 04 January 2011 at 2:43pm
Ok so at the moment we have 4 Superscoops. 2 running V18 1000 and 2 running PD186s.

The V18s are good, very loud and heavy but never feel that controlled to my ears. 

The 186s are fantastic, tight and punchy, and definitely deeper sounding than the v18s but underpowered for the boxes.

The plan is to get 4 PD1850s (the deal is already done on this) to replace the miss-matched drivers we have, and to be 'best of both worlds' with the weight, control and decent power handling.

I have heard a few people saying 1850s may not be the best for this box and that V18s and 186s might suit it better Ouch but we have these already and i know these scoops can sound better! 

any thought people?
Rough Every Time... http://www.dubselector.co.uk
YoungBlood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Dub Defector Dub Defector wrote:

Ok so at the moment we have 4 Superscoops. 2 running V18 1000 and 2 running PD186s.

The V18s are good, very loud and heavy but never feel that controlled to my ears. 

The 186s are fantastic, tight and punchy, and definitely deeper sounding than the v18s but underpowered for the boxes.

The plan is to get 4 PD1850s (the deal is already done on this) to replace the miss-matched drivers we have, and to be 'best of both worlds' with the weight, control and decent power handling.

I have heard a few people saying 1850s may not be the best for this box and that V18s and 186s might suit it better Ouch but we have these already and i know these scoops can sound better! 

any thought people?

personally would say if v18 not good enough inna scoooper for you then get modify eminence scoop

guarantee fi cause complaint wid v18 1850 and 186 LOL
"chyll wynstan.."
Nick Sasquash View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Sasquash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 8:35pm
I have heard x4 v18 loaded scoopers powered via Crown MA5000vz shake down nuff places, even outdoor...
Same with PD186 but as ya mention need to be careful with power... 
I guess if you have made the deal for the PD1850's already give them a try, they will be quite brutal (i have heard this combo nuff times also) but not as nice sounding as other drivers (imho)... but you might be surprised & love um.

A couple of thoughts on your current set up & why you want more/better bass section... what do you hi & lo pass the scoops at... what amp drives them & do the cable runs have 4mm cores or min 2.5mm?
https://operationsoundsystemrecords.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/OperationSoundSystem/

tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 7:08am
1850 will sound wicked in supers
much gruntier than V1000, cant say ive heard supers play low as well as other boxes though
a sound from southall uses 186 loaded supers n they aint sayin nuttin so definatly worth the switch!!
goliath View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goliath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:26am
try Turbomax1000's brilliant in these scoops nicer tone than the V1000 and can take alot more power than 186's. iv got supers that were loaded with 1850 but didnt really like the sound very grunty. (horses for courses tho) Definitely give the tmax1000's a go before you settle on other drivers  
Dub Defector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Nick Sasquash Nick Sasquash wrote:

I have heard x4 v18 loaded scoopers powered via Crown MA5000vz shake down nuff places, even outdoor...
Same with PD186 but as ya mention need to be careful with power... 
I guess if you have made the deal for the PD1850's already give them a try, they will be quite brutal (i have heard this combo nuff times also) but not as nice sounding as other drivers (imho)... but you might be surprised & love um.

A couple of thoughts on your current set up & why you want more/better bass section... what do you hi & lo pass the scoops at... what amp drives them & do the cable runs have 4mm cores or min 2.5mm?

Thanks Nick, yes, deal done on the 1850s but worried now Confused. We'll just have to give it a go and see if we like them.

We may still have the voids at the same time so can do an a-b test.

All run from a JTS 3-way pre so not sure of crossover points etc

As for amps we use our JTS Pro 2000 or Proline 2700.. 

not sure on cables Ouch

Does it make that much difference?

Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

1850 will sound wicked in supers
much gruntier than V1000, cant say ive heard supers play low as well as other boxes though
a sound from southall uses 186 loaded supers n they aint sayin nuttin so definatly worth the switch!!

Thanks tweet. Feeling a little more re-assured! 

Originally posted by goliath goliath wrote:

try Turbomax1000's brilliant in these scoops nicer tone than the V1000 and can take alot more power than 186's. iv got supers that were loaded with 1850 but didnt really like the sound very grunty. (horses for courses tho) Definitely give the tmax1000's a go before you settle on other drivers  

Might do.. would def like to hear some in supers.. ideally some kind of speaker shoot-out down this way would be good. I just don't get to hear that many different combinations of boxes, speakers and amps.

Edited by Dub Defector - 05 January 2011 at 11:06am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 11:02am

Edited by Dub Defector - 05 January 2011 at 11:03am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Sasquash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 4:09pm
DD... OK i have a few thoughts... 
The JTS crossover will prob be around 200 maybe even 250hz (Russ d cud poss confirm this) - Thats too high for most scoops (imho) i would try cutting at between 80 & 100hz depending on your mid boxes.
Also Im sure the JTS pre dont have any hi pass filter, you could do with somthing filter out bolow 25 -30hz....

Amps - the two you have are decent enough, but wont deliver nuff power to power x4 scoops... Unless you bridge them to power x2 8ohm drivers each (Only if they are 2ohm stable -suspect the tamp aint tho?) - or best option look out for another amp.

Re: cable, its quite important especially if the cable is long, you can loose quite a bit of power via thin cable cores - ya could do with 4mm cores for bass.

Sorting these things would 100% certian give ya heavier bline Wink

Hope that helps ya a little n doesnt give ya more problems to think about. Bass & Love

paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:05pm
would have thought the t max 1000 would  get a little hot in the super as standard,i know people mod them for various drivers and my experiance with t max is you need a good 50mm plus between the back of the magnet and the baffle board,t max 1000 is 202mm deep less 10mm for the front lip so 192mm,i tryed in ass and steve b which are both 210mm from front cab to baffle and they just got way to hot and suffered power compression problemsCryjust my findings(t max1000 on fane chassis) i have heard nick operations a few times and they sound very good Clap
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Sasquash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 10:04pm
Cheers Paulus... Embarrassed
Yes Turbomax 1000 is a very very good driver.... shame it not suited to ya boxes... only didnt mention it in this thread coz DD didnt in his 1st post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub Defector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Nick Sasquash Nick Sasquash wrote:

DD... OK i have a few thoughts... 
The JTS crossover will prob be around 200 maybe even 250hz (Russ d cud poss confirm this) - Thats too high for most scoops (imho) i would try cutting at between 80 & 100hz depending on your mid boxes.
Also Im sure the JTS pre dont have any hi pass filter, you could do with somthing filter out bolow 25 -30hz....

Amps - the two you have are decent enough, but wont deliver nuff power to power x4 scoops... Unless you bridge them to power x2 8ohm drivers each (Only if they are 2ohm stable -suspect the tamp aint tho?) - or best option look out for another amp.

Re: cable, its quite important especially if the cable is long, you can loose quite a bit of power via thin cable cores - ya could do with 4mm cores for bass.

Sorting these things would 100% certian give ya heavier bline Wink

Hope that helps ya a little n doesnt give ya more problems to think about. Bass & Love

Cheers Nick,

Interesting about the preamp.. will do some research. 

Amps.. 

Proline is fine bridged for the voids.. handles it fine i think. A few people (like Lev on here) rate it for a good budget sub amp for this kind of duty.

The Jah Tubbys amp is probably underpowered for the voids but seems to handle the 186s well, so we may have to consider an upgrade with any new drivers.

If there were more sounds down this way i might be in a better position to test other amp combinations out etc but just not that much going in the wilds of Devon.

I'll have to look into the cabling issue..

Post Reply Post Reply