Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

vinyl or cd or other for reggae soundsystem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vinyl or cd or other for reggae soundsystem?
    Posted: 08 July 2006 at 12:21am
I'm a vinyl man myself for playing out as I much prefer how it sounds, nicer to mix with and lots of tunes only released on vinyl and full original versions too.

I occassionally use cd when I play out as my vinyl collection ain't massive[about 200 vinyl] due to I'm poor.  

And I play a bit of both mostly roots[ eg Johnny Clarke] and modern digital steppers stuff [eg Iration Steppas].
Also sometimes dub.

I don't play lovers rock often or rocksteady unless I get a request to do so for a few tunes.

mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 4:26am
I prefer the 'genuine sound of vinyl,all them crackles and pops!'(got about 5000+ish).Used a cd mixer a few times but still prefer mixing records as I'm a dj a heart rather than a soundman.
How ever i have noticed a lot of big sounds(soundclash sounds,Jaro,Blackkat,Saxon) are starting to use cd's.Easier to carry around?
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 8:22am

manny..are you one of them guy's that when he buys a house , he gets an extra room just for his vinyl?

i have a friend who has done this

mans1000 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mans1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2006 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

manny..are you one of them guy's that when he buys a house , he gets an extra room just for his vinyl?

i have a friend who has done this

Extension hopefully being built this year!Studio/music room/pool table/bar,ya get me!
"The earth provides enough to satisfy every mans needs...but not every mans greed."
DUBPLATE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBPLATE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 7:24am

Edited by DUBPLATE - 07 June 2007 at 3:40am
COWFOOT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COWFOOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2006 at 10:48am
There are still diehard vinyl lovers around. If they see you not playing vinyl dem seh "yu too saaf, yu nah seh nutten, yu a dibbi dibbi soundbwoy"
westsidesoundsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westsidesoundsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 7:23pm
Still Vinyl for me.
Playing stuff like revival, and rare groove from 30+ years ago, can not be done with CD's IMO.
I must have about 10k reggae and soul tacks on 7",12",LP's and still collecting.
HMSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HMSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 5:20pm
Have to agree you cant tuch vinyl for depth of sound, especially when that is combined with those old shure stylus. Until my life took a complete change in direction i swore blind I would never play CD, I remember playing alongside the first CD sound in Yard and thinking
However I actually sold all my vinyl and only play CD's I use the Pioneer CDJ 1000's. The music I play is real underground and only available on CD and dub plates now cost only studio time! Anyone who likes hard core dancehall music pm me with your postal address and I will send you a free CD.
No sound can tell us bout we a drum pan soun, they just come look at the racks and nod thier heads. Come check us at carnival on the God Corner. Bless.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westsidesoundsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2006 at 7:10pm
New stuff and Plates I can see the use for CD.  But maybe I am purest at heart and can not bring myself to play Revival and Rare Groove on CD.  If am doing a lot's parties when it is only my sound playing then I may copy tracks to CD and play them.  But when a next sound is in the same room, I can not play CD's for old stuff.

1. It is like you have download them from the web or got a boot leg.

2. I won't not give the DJ any respect if all he did was play Studio 1 or Wakies tunes against me from CD, because they were not on CD in the first place when first released

Now he may own the original vinyl but for clashing etc I would need my vinyl.

regards

Westside Sound System
hikk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 5:42am
Originally posted by HMSS HMSS wrote:

Have to agree you cant tuch vinyl for depth of sound, especially when that is combined with those old shure stylus. Until my life took a complete change in direction i swore blind I would never play CD, I remember playing alongside the first CD sound in Yard and thinking
However I actually sold all my vinyl and only play CD's I use the Pioneer CDJ 1000's. The music I play is real underground and only available on CD and dub plates now cost only studio time! Anyone who likes hard core dancehall music pm me with your postal address and I will send you a free CD.
No sound can tell us bout we a drum pan soun, they just come look at the racks and nod thier heads. Come check us at carnival on the God Corner. Bless.
Me i wonder what Jesuz would have to say on the matter!
The way in which yoursite presents itself in my hummble oppinion doesnt help anyone resist temptation or for that matter help anyone not to covert their nabours GOODS .Infact does the opposite same way your post here !Me i like to try and save my own soul before taking up arms[your sound]to save someone elses! Oh with respect ofcourse!

Anyhow me i play it any which way it comes DOWNLOADS and all ....Its about the music and its content not THE POSSETION of a bit of plastic that when i go to meet my maker ,i cannot take with me !!
Are you people a clashing sound !?

Edited by hikk - 22 July 2006 at 5:44am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westsidesoundsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 7:56am

Well, I might be different where you live.  But in the UK, and I can only speak about London the ravers dis the DJ on early morning sets, if they play to much CD's.  Most of it comes from the woman in the party above a certain age 35+.

Possession of that 1 single piece of vinyl, can win you the clash.  To be honest I have not seen or been in any clashes that allowed CD's to played for Revival and Rare Groove Clashes.  Upfront Clashes yeah don't see a issue as this is the medium they are produced on now.

HMSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HMSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2006 at 8:31am
Hikk, Thanks for taking time and looking at my site.
I dont really get what you are saying, PM me and explain a bit more clearer. I can understand some confusion from my post and i am sorry. I used to play vinyl before I commited my life to following Jesus. I used to play for Lord Gelly sound (Biggest sound in UK) and clash when needed to came with the teritory, although we were a juggling sound.

Now as a Christian Sound I will not clash.
HMSS has one objective to support Christian Reggae music, in turn sharing the Gospel.

If you want to talk more about this pm me or visit my forum, I dont want people here to take me off the forum for preaching.
Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>