Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

volume controls where are they!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: volume controls where are they!
    Posted: 30 May 2007 at 3:38pm
ive been looking at amps today, just wondering why some of the amps dont actually have any volume controls on them and how do you adjust the volume exactly???

hmmmm

thanks all
josh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 3:42pm
for example?
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 3:48pm
umm ecler pam 1360 'switching power amp'

and ive seen an amcron to but not sure what model...

they dont have any controls appart from and on/off button on the front...
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 7:20pm
Dials on amps aren't volume controls mate. Some amps have the dials on the back though.
robertnisbet View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertnisbet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 8:11pm
The 'volume control' you are referring to on amps is actually an input attenuator. As you may realise from this name, this attenuates the signal getting to the amplifier section, and comes BEFORE the amplifier. The amplifier itself always amplifys by the same amount, and to change the output level you hear you alter the input signal. As toastyghost says though, some amps may appear not to have level controls as they are placed on the rear. The Crown/Amcron amps you're probably thinking of are the MicroTech range.

HTH.
Robert Nisbet
www.robertnisbet.com
Event Production Services
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 6:58am
mine go upto 11
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 10:49am
Mine go to 34!

Disco Stu View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 3:21pm
Yes there is a lot of confusion when it comes to how amp volume controls are labelled

Some like my old QSC RMX range give you the voltage dB gain in increments which might be the method that ceharden has in his amps. So these appear to work like a gain knob on a mixer

The new QSC PLX2 range that I have have 0dB as the maximum point and then negative figures below that.

Think of the idea that the power amp is full on all the time and that the volume knob just lets a certain amount of the signal through - more like a fader on a mixer.

Stu
All you need to know is:
Sensitivity + Power Handling - Power Compression = Max Output

My acts:
www.myspace.com/thebowiexperience
www.myspace.com/scheisseelektronisches
robertnisbet View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robertnisbet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 4:49pm
@Chris: does that mean mine go to 34 also? I haven't looked...

@DiscoStu: much better way of describing it, far less cumbersome than my explanation! Nice one

Edited by robertnisbet - 31 May 2007 at 4:50pm
Robert Nisbet
www.robertnisbet.com
Event Production Services
j_0_e View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j_0_e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 6:40pm

gr8 explanation, thanks stu!

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 6:01am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Mine go to 34!

But what do you do when your on 34 and you need that extra push over the cliff?
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 8:17am
Switch on the Aural Exciter!!!!!!! and stand back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>