Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VU meters - essential? recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ednew88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VU meters - essential? recommendations?
    Posted: 23 November 2014 at 10:26am
Are VU meters essential in a traditional reggae soundsystem (i.e pre amp, 4 way)?

Doesn't seem to be too many out there for sale- do people use them and if so which models?
ednew88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ednew88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 3:02pm
No responses? Not interesting or people don't use them?
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 3:21pm
Used to include VU meters or proper PPM type metering when I built some Reggae Sound bits and pieces.

Weather they were actually used I don't really know

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 3:23pm
Hi ednew, I think the question is a bit confusing perhaps. Most reggae preamps have a set of led vu's for each music band ie: high, high mid, low mid and low. Most mixers have some kind of led vu metering. Some of the preamp builders offer an upgrade to true vu meters, but I personally feel the reason people choose these is purely to get the vintage retro look. I don't think there is a clear practical advantage over led metering, the only thing I can think of is led's can be hard to read (or tell if they are lit) under some lighting conditions. 
Definitely interesting and yes people do use them..
Reverence Sound system

ednew88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ednew88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 6:25pm
cool my JTS preamp has single led's per fq band but no VU meter.

I wasn't necessarily making a distinction between traditional VU meters and LEDs- Either way there doesn't seem to be much available in terms of 19" units that are seperate VU meters or LED variants....
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 6:30pm
Now you've just given me an idea for a custom bit of kit! How about a rack unit to go above your pre. The four outputs from the pre go in, you get 4 lots of led vu meter and the outputs would balanced xlr to go straight to amps.. that would be a nice upgrade..
Reverence Sound system

ednew88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ednew88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 6:38pm
spot on, this is what am after. Who makes them?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by dj jammin dj jammin wrote:

Now you've just given me an idea for a custom bit of kit! How about a rack unit to go above your pre. The four outputs from the pre go in, you get 4 lots of led vu meter and the outputs would balanced xlr to go straight to amps.. that would be a nice upgrade..

Make it 6 VUs and i'll stick one on the outs of my LMS... :-)

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 6:50pm
you putting in an order? LOL

Reverence Sound system

ednew88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ednew88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 6:59pm
if someone can make one to do the job id be interested- at the right price :)
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 7:00pm
To be honest... i could prob build one myself. And even thought about it near the beginning if this year.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
ednew88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ednew88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2014 at 7:02pm
what stopped you or what you using instead?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>