Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VZ5000 problem 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VZ5000 problem 2
    Posted: 01 November 2015 at 1:02am
Hi.
Last night the left channel went down on my normally trusty VZ500 (again)
The signal light was on as normal but the ODEP light went out, then flashed on and off constantly, accompanied by a clicking noise from the relay switching, and cracking from the speakers even with the gain off.
It was like that channel was switching on and off. 
I had a similar problem on the same channel a while ago and was told it was probably the relay itself.
Does this sound probable? 
It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it!
edboom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 12:57am
If your anywhere near stoke on Trent, talk to Kevin Edwards, he's on sp as kedwardsleisure or something like that. I had a similar prob with same amp, turned out to be a minor component failure. Many engineers shy away from that amp, not him tho'
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 8:27pm
I'm in Portugal but i can find him on here and send him a pm.
Cheers.
Smile
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 8:36pm
Its ok, Ive just seen the thread!

Fisrt thing is to whip the cover off and see if any diagnostic lights are on or flashing. And don't connect your speakers til the amp's A1 ok again. There are lights on the main control pcb (the one on the sliding tray at the back) and a couple on the power pcb at the front.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 9:37pm
Ok.
I am away for a couple of weeks now so wont be able to have a look until i get back but will let you know asap.
So i need to fire it up with no load but with or without input? And see what the LEDs are doing.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 4:00pm
No load, no input (volume level at minimium), turn on and tell us if instantly makes that trouble, or after couple minutes, with fan's at maximum speed.
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2015 at 10:25pm
Luckily the problem started just as i was checking on the amps so it wasn't doing it for hours before anyone noticed.
The fan is a bit lazy on that side so initially i thought maybe the fan had failed and it was overheating.
I turned the gain down and disconnected the load from that side which had no effect so i switched the amp off and left it for an hour or so. When i switched it back on the problem started again straight away.
Not wanting to make any problem worse i removed the amp, and that is all i know until i can test it properly in a few weeks.

Grinner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2015 at 11:42am
wrong thread

Edited by Grinner - 06 November 2015 at 11:46am
vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 9:50pm
Well. i'm back in Portugal and had chance to test the VZ. Judging by the noise it was making i think this one might be a bit beyond me but here goes.
I switched it on with the gains on minimum, no input and no load.
The signal lights light as normal and on the right switch off as the ODEP light comes on as normal.
The left channel signal light stays on permanently and the ODEP light flicks on and off.
When the ODEP light flicks on the CH1 STB1 LED inside the amp flick off and the CH1 DCLF LED flicks on.
When the ODEP Light flicks off the CH1 STB1 is on and the CH1 DCLF is off.
Oh and it's making a strange noise.
;-)
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2015 at 10:45pm
what sort of strange noise?
The stb light means the protect circuit is killing the power to that side for safety reasons. The DCLF suggests it's detected dc on the output. Check if there's any dc on the output terminals , if so it will be brief because the power will be cycling...check it with an analogue meter if possible.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

vmh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2015 at 8:50pm
The noise is like the hum it makes when it powers up but constant and sounding strained.
I will check for DC asap.

Jamo Supa Powa 2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamo Supa Powa 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2015 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by edboom edboom wrote:

If your anywhere near stoke on Trent, talk to Kevin Edwards, he's on sp as kedwardsleisure or something like that. I had a similar prob with same amp, turned out to be a minor component failure. Many engineers shy away from that amp, not him tho'
top man
Simple but it tuff !!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>