Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

W Bin barn doors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W Bin barn doors
    Posted: 15 June 2017 at 10:39pm
Hello all,

I recently bought some court acoustics W bins and what to get a bit more output from them, so I want to make some barn door horn extensions. I understand that it would be much easier to get another pair of W bins and probably cheaper but I really like the look of barn doors at the bottom of a dance stack.
 To calculate the dimensions the barn doors will have to be do I calculate the rate of expansion of the horn and continue at the same rate?
Would a scaled down Levan horn work? (Even though the folding of the EAW w bin it is intended for has a different way of folding)
Finally how much will a horn extension actually add to the sound?

Thanks!
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 1:17pm
Are they vented?

ps. barn doors would usually expand on the flare rate at the mouth of a cab. Particularly with the court bins where the flare rate is low. 
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by re-production re-production wrote:

Hello all,

I recently bought some court acoustics W bins and what to get a bit more output from them,

Well you would, they're known for not having much output at all
Quote so I want to make some barn door horn extensions. I understand that it would be much easier to get another pair of W bins and probably cheaper but I really like the look of barn doors at the bottom of a dance stack.

Each to their own
 To calculate the dimensions the barn doors will have to be do I calculate the rate of expansion of the horn and continue at the same rate?

Pretty much
Would a scaled down Levan horn work? (Even though the folding of the EAW w bin it is intended for has a different way of folding)

You would potentially be creating a compound flare rate so that could have some undesirable effects
Finally how much will a horn extension actually add to the sound?

In theory or in practice?
Realistically you get more output from adding a second bin. The barn doors on the Fk1 dance stacks are more aesthetic than they are acoustic... it LOOKS like it's gonna be louder/deeper and so placebo comes in

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 16 June 2017 at 2:56pm
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 5:46pm
hi
experiences of art welter and Others on diyaudio suggest that a barnddor that is double the frontal area of your speaker would add some 3 db and directivity to your sub.
if you want to expand the horn things get more complicated and you should sim it or have time to prototipe to avoid surprises. and watch out for vibrations... brace it!
check out Phil B horn extensions (as opposed to barn doors) for stacked ss15 in his solar system thread on the 12 volt sections. he gains sensitivity AND extension...
notice that while a horn extension should work inside, a barn door may not be so efficent inside near walls as walls are allready supporting the lower frequencies.

something i'd like to have time to experiment with... but i bought two more 18sw115 insteadSmile
re-production View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 3:01pm
They have two vents so if I made a horn extension would it be best to cover those? or I guess it would be a fairly easy thing to play around with.

Does the low flare rate mean that the barn doors would have to be very long as well as wide?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

hi
experiences of art welter and Others on diyaudio suggest that a barnddor that is double the frontal area of your speaker would add some 3 db and directivity to your sub.
if you want to expand the horn things get more complicated and you should sim it or have time to prototipe to avoid surprises. and watch out for vibrations... brace it!
check out Phil B horn extensions (as opposed to barn doors) for stacked ss15 in his solar system thread on the 12 volt sections. he gains sensitivity AND extension...
notice that while a horn extension should work inside, a barn door may not be so efficent inside near walls as walls are allready supporting the lower frequencies.

something i'd like to have time to experiment with... but i bought two more 18sw115 insteadSmile

I found the thread, those unity horns look beautiful! Clap
I don't have access to horn res as I don't have a pc and my mac crashes when I try to run a virtual machine so will see if there is one I can borrow. 
Is there a difference between a barn door and a horn extension? Does a horn extension follow the rate of expansion of the horn and a barn door would be a linear extension?

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 4:46pm
''I recently bought some court acoustics W bins and what to get a bit more output from them"

What drivers are fitted? Court originally fitted 2x JBL e140's to the 15 inch version,and a JBL 2240 in the single-driver 18inch version.

If you have the 2x15's,then fit PD1550's as a modern replacement for the discontinued JBL's.
Be seeing you.
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 5:18pm
The late Mr Court also fitted some of them with RCF L15-P200's too
Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote re-production Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

''I recently bought some court acoustics W bins and what to get a bit more output from them"

What drivers are fitted? Court originally fitted 2x JBL e140's to the 15 inch version,and a JBL 2240 in the single-driver 18inch version.

If you have the 2x15's,then fit PD1550's as a modern replacement for the discontinued JBL's.

They have some EV drivers (I forget the model number) to match the drivers in the 4560's above them, if we ever get another pair I will look at loading them with PD1550's, thanks for the recommendation.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 6:12pm
hi
i recon a horn extension would  be a follow up of the horn pattern, a continuation of the horn mouth that summed to the original horn would create a new horn, needing the right flare rate and expansion for the new lenght.

barn doors don't continue the horn, they expand the frontal surface.
 the increased output in front derives from increased frontal area and the aquired directivity.
look at those new big danley subs...
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Jo bg Jo bg wrote:

hi
i recon a horn extension would  be a follow up of the horn pattern, a continuation of the horn mouth that summed to the original horn would create a new horn, needing the right flare rate and expansion for the new lenght.

barn doors don't continue the horn, they expand the frontal surface.
 the increased output in front derives from increased frontal area and the aquired directivity.
look at those new big danley subs...

If you mean the BC series they actually use a different approach, it's four FLH coupled to a boundary that has a particular relationship to the rest of the box dimensions. Tom explains a fair bit here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/262490-another-hopeless-attempt-reverse-engineering-danley-design.html

Doesn't give the game away totally of course but it isn't the same as building a barn door horn extension.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2017 at 6:57pm
I'll have the EVs off you when you upgrade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>