Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what 6.5" midbass + 1.5" tweeter?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what 6.5" midbass + 1.5" tweeter?
    Posted: 09 July 2014 at 8:57pm
so would like to upgrade the speakers in my cars front door, 6.5" midbass and 1.5" 'tweeters', keeping the original Siemens headunit etc as frankly cba to change it, plenty loud enough with stock speakers but distorts and gets harsh when playing heavier stuff, metal etc....

budgets not brilliant, and no, i don't want a sub! Any suggestions of something of acceptable quality?

cheers

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 09 July 2014 at 9:23pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 9:15pm
i have a few Alesis m1 actives knocking about, 4ohm 6.5" midbass + 1.5" tweets i could bodge in... worth a punt?

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 10:05pm
ok, just taken out an Alesis midbass driver, at 4" deep with magnet assembly etc, i somehow doubt it will fit!

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 09 July 2014 at 10:06pm

amlu View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amlu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 10:00pm
beyma 605nd with a 100db efficiency?  they are bit more of midrange but i wont be expecting anything better out of something so small...
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:52pm
If you have a look at the frequency response they are closer to 90db at 200hz rising to 100 at around 3k.

I was looking at using the 6mi90 which is the ferrite version of that driver but the 1mm xmax limits its mid bass response quite a bit. was simming excursion issues below about 300hz.

Edit:

looking at the 6mi90 the response is much flatter however the driver is half a kg heavier and slightly bigger, 73.5mm depth. It is also £75 cheaper to buy brand new.

Edit 2:

Or there is the Faital Pro 6FE200

Edited by immortal - 16 July 2014 at 4:06pm
Cemetery Sounds
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 4:35pm
If you were to cut holes for the magnets to hang outside the door, you could try some 1850s in there.  I would like to see this.  Cyclist stuck to the magnet as you drive down the street.
music is the message
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 4:36pm
oh, and a couple of motorolas for tops gaffer taped to the dashboard - sorted like a boss.
Thumbs Up
music is the message
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 4:46pm
Yeah, I reckon that would work but why not just mount the driver the other way around so the magnet is on your knee, it will help with heat dissipation from the magnet.
Cemetery Sounds
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 5:01pm
mmm, and keep you warm in winter and the car might pass its MOT.  I bow to your superior door knowledge. LOL
music is the message
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 5:04pm
When are you going to learn, Ginge, not to post questions?   LOL

Somebody said that if you want an answer on the internet, don't post a question - you will get endless debates and arguments (or me). The correct way is to post the wrong answer, you'll get your correct answer in minutes.
music is the message
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 11:07pm
Is the driver from an M1, a reflex box, best suited for flapping around in free air?
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 10:23am
Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

If you were to cut holes for the magnets to hang outside the door, you could try some 1850s in there.  I would like to see this.  Cyclist stuck to the magnet as you drive down the street.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>