Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What car do you drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 41>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2015 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Walle_W Walle_W wrote:

Bought my third truck a few months ago. Got it so cheap i could not resist and tought that a spare is nice to have after a bad experience with a three week standstill last summer because of long delivery time on spare parts for the hydraulic piston on the red Volvo. A three week unplanned standstill is expensive..

This is a Volvo FH16-540 -08 with steerable tag axle! And 800000km on it so it still got some to give. i payed less than 30000€ for it and i think that only tank and compressor i(compressor for unloading, big thing. 19m3 air/min) is worth that.
New tank ~80000€, compressor ~10000€ and the compressor is replaced recently so it is almost new. A few hundred hours and they last for several thouands.

I have been sleepless tonight wondering if i made the right decision because today i abandoned my plan to have it as spare and bought a trailer for it.. (Same thing, to cheap. Could not resist)

Now i ONLY need to find a driver as good as the two i already got.. Thats What has been keeping my awake. (Don't worry, i have my week of now so i won't be driving anything without sleep ;) )

For example.
Both my local Scania and Volvo repair guys told me that i needed to replace the entire ABS/EBS system on the trailer i have behind the Scania. Price they gave me was between 3000 and 5000€ for parts and labor. Scania took ~800€ for problem searching and i wanted a second opinion so i left it to Volvo and they took ~400€ for telling me my system was unrepairable..

My driver on the Scania took a bottle of contact spray crawled under the trailer cleaned all the connectors, found a really nasty green one and a damaged cable. Suddenly cost went down to a few hours of work.. He did this on a weekend not because i told him, but because he wanted to save me some money..One afternoon he just sent me a text and a picture of the dashboard with all warningloghts off
I have bought a very nice sterero, 24-volt 3-ch amp and nice speakers for his truck for over 1000€ and he got a christmas bonus waiting for him!
This is the kind of driver that could make the difference between succes and failure

My other driver is my old boss that retired and sold the red Volvo to me. After 1 year he could not stand the retirement and wanted to work again :)
He has had a truck company since 1984. He dont to any beginners mistakes, He is still teaching me and my other driver things even tough both of us has been doing this for well ober 10years now. Listen to the old guys, they know things :)

Now i am laying here on the sofa wondering where to find a driver as good as good as the two i have.. We got a lot of work summertime driving lime to lakes (to correct the ph in the lakes) on gravel roads with 60 tons (soon 64 tons, new rules in Sweden. I only need to extend the drawbar on the Scania to get 20,2m between first and last axle, today it is 19,5m). The Volvo trailer is to short so i will "only" get it up to 62tons.
A beginner is not an option, i need somone with experience of gravel roads.

Small mistakes costs big money. I myself have been doing this since 2002 and still make still make stupid mistakes sometimes.. (To often to be honest..) Got stuck on a wet gravel road last monday, 5 hours work with heavy recovery truck. Expensive, but hey nothing broken atleast.
Forgot to turn of the antispinn and got stuck. Was just supposed to reverse down an do it the right way (antispinn off, difflock on BEFORE the road starts to go up..) but made a big fool of myself when i got to close to the edge of the road and it could not take rhe weight so got really stuck..

Spent ~5000€ reparing the diff-lock on the Scania last summer.. Drivers mistake. But i don't know and don't care if it was me, my driver or the previous owners fault, still expemsive and a drivers mistake. Probably turning on the difflock while slipping. Metal parts came out with the oil at service..

My employees drive Volvo XC70 -14 and Audi A4 ~10 and i drive a beat up V70 from -99 (recently purchased for 300€ because I have not had the time to fix my rusty 1992 Mercedes to make inspection... Normal life of a small truck-company owner :)

Whats the pay? Many drivers from here might be interested.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Walle_W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walle_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2015 at 3:28am
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

another nice truck, still surprised see you choose 6x2 for gravel road work but if it works the margins are better I guess.

I always wondered why truck manufacturers don't put interlocks on the diff-lock so that they can't be activated above a certain speed. If the ECU can turn off the retarder below 700rpm, then for sure it can stop you using the diff-lock too.

Do you see many FMX where you are? I see a few for muck haulage work here but they're not very popular.

These truck are too light at the rear, they are useless as 6x4 during winter time when driving unloaded. No traction what so ever.. And since we drive a lot unloaded it is a problem..
A timber truck at least have a crane weighing a few tons at the rear and i even see more and more timber trucks that are 6x2. Even if most of them are 6x4.
The MAN hydrodrive has become very popular as timber truck. I believe Volvo has something like that in the making. That could be something for me!
Before the red Volvo my old boss had a FH12-420 6x4, i hated it :)

During winter time it is necessary to use the difflock at full speed. Would never get up the hills even on the highway.. But of course you have to lock the diff before you need it, with no power added.. 

The I-shift (Volvos automatic gearbox) is nothing more than a manual gearbox that the computer controls. And they are without synchronization, the computer senses when it got the right speed an gets the gears in perfect every time. 
I wonder why they don´t do the same with the difflock.. Maybe they do in the newer trucks?

I see a few FMX. Same here, not very popular. 
To me (without really knowing) the FMX looks just like a FM with different styling.. It is nothing for me so i have not checked it out properly..

Edited by Walle_W - 26 September 2015 at 3:34am
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 4:11pm

These truck are too light at the rear, they are useless as 6x4 during winter time when driving unloaded. No traction what so ever.. And since we drive a lot unloaded it is a problem..
A timber truck at least have a crane weighing a few tons at the rear and i even see more and more timber trucks that are 6x2. Even if most of them are 6x4.
The MAN hydrodrive has become very popular as timber truck. I believe Volvo has something like that in the making. That could be something for me!

Maybe something to consider when you want the next truck!

http://www.volvotrucks.com/trucks/uk-market/en-gb/trucks/volvo-fh-series/key-features/Pages/tandem-axle-lift.aspx

Do you have any tyre recommendations?

I run 315/80r22.5 and my retread drive tyre are cracking and will need replacement soon. I've had trouble on muddy slopes recently and could do with a tyre with great traction. I know that Conti, Michelin and Goodyear all do mixed use type tyres but I don't know anyone that uses them.

me so horny, me love you long throw.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 7:35pm
Transporter T4 1998
Not suited for my pallets of sound system.

It's here by the way:

I prefer bikes too, just built a crazy soundbike!

Edited by tv00 - 30 September 2015 at 7:37pm
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
BA55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 4:56pm
2011 Nissan GT-R - I love it!! Had lots of Evos in the past (Evo 5, Evo 6, Evo 8)

The R35 replaced an R34 GT-R in Bayside - I swore the R34 would be my first and last Nissan, we didn't get along...got the chance to swap it for the R35 and it changed my opinion on Nissan immediately. LOL

Edited by BA55 - 17 February 2016 at 5:07pm
BA55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BA55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

Will be at Wales Rally GB on 15th & 16th Nov, come say hello if your there Smile

Classic Fords - amazing mate and driven like it was supposed to be!! Nice one!
BA55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by razorray razorray wrote:

I was well into my old fast fords a few years ago. Use to go to the cars shows and everything in it Geek. Sold it a few months ago..

That is sweet - one day I'll have one, hopefully in Moonstone. I have a soft spot for old Fords - my first car was a Mk2 Orion!
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 11:51am
What a lot of pictures of useless cars !-)
The usefulness of a car is measured by how many speakers it can load!

After all cars are for speakers, not personal transportation :-)
I mean that gas tank car in top can only take liquid speakers.
That Ford would have to carry them on the roof.

www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
AlmostSalty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 12:06pm
LOL +1
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 6:28pm

Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

another nice truck, still surprised see you choose 6x2 for gravel road work but if it works the margins are better I guess.

I always wondered why truck manufacturers don't put interlocks on the diff-lock so that they can't be activated above a certain speed. If the ECU can turn off the retarder below 700rpm, then for sure it can stop you using the diff-lock too.

Do you see many FMX where you are? I see a few for muck haulage work here but they're not very popular.

During winter time it is necessary to use the difflock at full speed. Would never get up the hills even on the highway.. But of course you have to lock the diff before you need it, with no power added.. 

The I-shift (Volvos automatic gearbox) is nothing more than a manual gearbox that the computer controls. And they are without synchronization, the computer senses when it got the right speed an gets the gears in perfect every time. 
I wonder why they don´t do the same with the difflock.. Maybe they do in the newer trucks?

I see a few FMX. Same here, not very popular. 
To me (without really knowing) the FMX looks just like a FM with different styling.. It is nothing for me so i have not checked it out properly..

Oh God, ark at all this. No wonder, "modern" truck drivers are hopeless, how easy can they make it? Seddon, ERF, Scammell, crash box, or twin spitter, THEN the driver was in tune with his machine.
I recon whatever auto box is in the local Tesco lorries is bloody useless, it's hilly here and they often just give up and stop as the box can't sort it out. Even luvvely Lisa from ICE Road Truckers can shift no clutch on her 18 speed and she's a girl :)
Empty 6x4 or 8x4 have always been an arse on the slippy, try clay quarry, worse than ice, nothing new. Good fun sideways with the diffs locked up though.

It's everything, not everythink!
Walle_W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walle_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 12:42am
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

What a lot of pictures of useless cars !-)
The usefulness of a car is measured by how many speakers it can load!

After all cars are for speakers, not personal transportation :-)
I mean that gas tank car in top can only take liquid speakers.
That Ford would have to carry them on the roof.

This Toyota i bought for the "transporting speaker" end of business. Had it for 5 years and except for oil changes all i have done to it is refilled the AC last spring.. Most reliable car i ever had. To bad it´s a "City" with the extremely powerful 75hp engine.. Makes 3000rpm at 100km/h so thats kind of the top speed :)
Toyota and trailer 4700kg.. The trucks pass me going uphill Ouch

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 8:53pm
 Still got the M5 but using it every day with average fuel consumption at 15-16mpg it was crippling me, not to mention £350 every 8k for a new pair of Michelins on the back as well as the BMW 'M' tax on parts so I've resigned it to being my second 'bit of fun' car and went and bought a mk3 Titanium X Mondeo 2.2 tdci and what an awesome car, drives nice, handles very well and goes very well indeed (quicker than I expected!) for a 155bhp derv, the amount of low down torque it has is daft, wheelspin in third gear is quite common!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 41>