Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What car do you drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 38394041>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 9:36pm
Well it might help get the 106 out of a ditch one day, you can tow them out!
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 9:46pm
rather leave them there... its for the greater good!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by djgorey djgorey wrote:

1991 Saab 9000 2.3T played with to 260bhp and 400lbft of torque.  Huge (wasily as big as an 850 estate) and very fast.  Great for carting speakers and disco gear around in comfort.  Might have to get a trailer soon though, if I keep on buying speakers.

Last time I posted on this topic was now 7 & 1/2 years ago!  Since then, I sold my 9000 (which was a mistake) and have gone through a Transit, a couple of other Saabs, an Alfa 146ti and am now on the spiritual successor to my SAAB...

A 1995 Volvo 850 T5 estate, played with to about 280bhp.  I love it!  The clutch is heavy, the steering is heavy (compared to my much newer Citroen C5), but a) I can get all the gear I need in it and b) it's all about the engine.

It spins in 2nd at 50mph and the noise is out of this world.  It's all normal until the turbo kicks in and then all hell breaks loose!  It's not even got a CD player, but just a tape deck!  

It's the estate I wish SAAB had made. Love it!  (Oh and I was wrong 7 & 1/2 years ago;  you can get more in the Volvo, but mainly because it's square)

Edited by djgorey - 23 February 2016 at 10:13pm
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
BA55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 3:37pm
A legendary engine easily capable of 350-400 horsepower on standard internals - swap them over and it will do 600+ on a big turbo.

It's a real wolf in sheeps clothing - I've been in one stripped out with a rollcage and such an engine - absolutely bonkers!
djgorey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djgorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 4:06pm
Yeah, it's pretty special. I don't care that it's just a tape deck and there's no cruise control and there's a slight oil leak because that moment you put your foot down in any gear and the turbo builds and the noise builds and you just can't stop grinning. My 9000 was good, but this is more savage than that (and this goes round corners much better!)
Gaffa tape is like the force in Star Wars - there's a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together
BA55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 4:12pm
You should go test drive an R35!! It redefines mental.

Edited by BA55 - 24 February 2016 at 4:14pm
razorray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razorray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by BA55 BA55 wrote:

Originally posted by razorray razorray wrote:

I was well into my old fast fords a few years ago. Use to go to the cars shows and everything in it Geek. Sold it a few months ago..

That is sweet - one day I'll have one, hopefully in Moonstone. I have a soft spot for old Fords - my first car was a Mk2 Orion!

So miss my old cossie.. Starting to get that Turbo itch again. I always fancied getting an old R32 GTR Skyline and tuning it to 500-600BHP 
BA55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 6:24pm
Get one - they are going up in value now that the USA can officially road register them. 

My R34 was stroked to 2.8 with GT2860-5s on a Link ECU - it was pretty intense but the car itself is too heavy and quite a long wheelbase - good for the Autobahn but not so good on the twisties. The R32 is lighter and shorter wheelbase so more fun can be had - probably not so much of a handful as the 3-door either.

If you enjoy bumpy b-roads at pace then you have to one day own an Evo 5 or 6. You won't lose money on them either if you find a good one and look after it.

Edited by BA55 - 24 February 2016 at 6:25pm
razorray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razorray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 6:32pm
If I have to buy another tuneable turbo car it will have to be another 3dr or a skyline. Driven a few Subarus and FQs. Nice and modern but I like old school. R34 very nice.. I always thought they where one of the best handling cars and they are going up in value now..
BA55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BA55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2016 at 7:41pm
You can't really compare an Evo 5/6 with the Evo 7-9 - I've had an Evo 8 and tuned it to over 400 on an FQ400 manifold and GT3076HTA. Put an Evo 9 turbo on a standard Evo 5/6 and tune it to 380-390, you won't find a better point to point UK B-road car, it's so much lighter than the later models. That chassis won the WRC back in 1998, before the WRC cars moved away from being based on the readily available models from the dealership. You're driving a machine that is capable of winning the WRC, and you do feel that.

The R34 is extremely exclusive, I owned an official UK model in Bayside blue (nr. 78 of 80) so very sought after. As such it has an almost mythical status, however the reality just doesn't live up to that. It does handle well, but it's just not suitable for hilly, windy, bumpy roads which I like most. If you spend your life driving smooth, long sweeping bends then obviously it's the perfect car.

The R35 is a bit of an enigma - it does both really, really well. It still won't match an Evo 5-6 on your average hillclimb but it's not far behind. However on a longer track or motorway the GT-R will dissapear over the horizon in seconds.

If you love cars they it's probably best to own them all one day (R32 and 3-door are still on my list) - you don't lose money on any of those models these days, apart from the R35 obviously. Still, you only live once!
funkyparrot View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funkyparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2016 at 5:04pm
2010 Renault Trafic Sport LWB crewbus DCi 150 40+ to the gallon! I've had 13 different Transits, but they're so noisy, compared with these. This is my 3rd Trafic.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2016 at 6:23pm
found some mud today in Wiltshire. Got to be said, its a lot of fun, and the grip from this thing is amazing considering its age and it only being on road tyres!

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 38394041>