Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What I am doing wrong ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What I am doing wrong ?
    Posted: 17 June 2016 at 2:53pm
When I simulate manufacturer recommended enclosure for BMS 12N630 ,I am getting completely different tuning frequency.(and high x-max) Why is that ? Are my ts parameters wrong ? 

I have also simulated Tony Wilkes Q12 box and it gave me air velocity of 45 m/s.

Edited by 3sky - 17 June 2016 at 3:08pm
LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 3:40pm
Some enclosures(even name brand) have mechanical power limits BELOW their thermal limits. Also MUSIC often makes less cone excursion than pure sinewaves so a couple of mm on a driver like this will not be the end of the world(not always the case though so be careful)

Also from what I read, Tony tuned the Q12(double woofer version) to 45hz not 38 and it was 70L (35 per driver) and you have 44(which will mean more excursion for you.

Try it again at 35L and 45hz.
Speaker addict
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 3:43pm
Tony frequently used slightly undersized (compared to the simulations) ports in his designs in order to minimise enclosure size. As I understand they were tested and if there wasn't a problem they stayed like that.
Don't test the champignon sound
3sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 5:44pm
35 L box with port size of 100x215 (from Q12 plan) gives me tuning of 48Hz and air velocity  42 m/s

I think the tuning is OK . Tony wrote in one post that the fact that end of the port is very close to drivers magnet lowers the tuning frequency a little bit.So in realty it might be 45Hz.

But the air speed seems very fast.What do you normally take to be highest limit for air velocity ?

I am sure that Q12 works perfect.I just think I might be making some mistake when working with WinISD which makes my simulations inaccurate. 

Edited by 3sky - 17 June 2016 at 6:04pm
3sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 6:03pm
This is the 60L box. Tuning is actually close enough.But excursion seems very large (5,5 mm over drivers xmax).

LunchieTey View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunchieTey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 6:35pm
Well bigger boxes and lower tuning mean MORE excursion.

What did you expect?

And remember, MUSIC is different to TEST TONES so don't stress over small differences.
Speaker addict
3sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 8:17pm
Thank you
I dont have much experience ,that is why I thought the differences are big.

So it looks like I have the software set up correctly.I want to build small and loud sub with even higher tuning that Q12. Most commercial P.A 12 inch subs have steep peak aground 65 Hz(or even higher).
What do you think of this ?

Edited by 3sky - 17 June 2016 at 8:18pm
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by 3sky 3sky wrote:

35 L box with port size of 100x215 (from Q12 plan) gives me tuning of 48Hz and air velocity  42 m/s

I think the tuning is OK . Tony wrote in one post that the fact that end of the port is very close to drivers magnet lowers the tuning frequency a little bit.So in realty it might be 45Hz.

But the air speed seems very fast.What do you normally take to be highest limit for air velocity ?

I am sure that Q12 works perfect.I just think I might be making some mistake when working with WinISD which makes my simulations inaccurate. 

correct re port, this was what led to the q18fp design, using port assisted alignment to driver, and the b6 loading design.
https://www.elements-audio.com
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 9:55pm
port tuning of the q12 was 43hz, this allows the box to play +-3db at 35 hz.
https://www.elements-audio.com
 Post Reply Post Reply