Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the name of this tweeter component?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonodrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the name of this tweeter component?
    Posted: 02 September 2014 at 9:11am
I'm trying to find the name of this cast metal part found on an Eminence APT Tweeter:

It surrounds the phase plug and looks like some kind of waveguide. Here is an image of the piece in situ:

I have lost one of these components and I'm trying to order a new one, without knowing the part name I'm not having much luck finding it.

Thank you.

bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 9:24am
can you get an explosive diagram from Eminence, listing the spare part codes?
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 10:52am

I think if you just ask for an APT throat adaptor they should suss what you are after.

it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 11:57am
Pretty syre those drivers are about 30 quid new, seems like itd probably be easier to grab a new one to me?
Kryptonik Sound Kollective

www.facebook.com/kryptoniksoundkollective
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 12:07pm
I don't think that part is supposed to be detachable, so you're not likely to find another one available as a spare part. You're probably better off buying a new unit.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 12:26pm
Hi where are you based? I've got an old blown APT80 that I'm not going to repair so your welcome to it if you want.
sonodrome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonodrome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2014 at 5:02pm
Couldn't find an exploded diagram or a decent datasheet unfortunately. Yeah I don't think that part is supposed to be removed, looks like it was epoxied on. The tweeter is a hand-me-down and it came like that. At the moment I'm running a pair of them, both without the whojammawatsit attached.

Throat adapter could be close enough, but I don't want to end up with the wrong part. Perhaps I will just email pictures and send a load of descriptive waffle directly to Eminence. I thought maybe it would be an obvious one and I was just in the dark about it - I'm just getting started building speakers, still have much to learn.

Thank you for the kind offer knet94 :) I'm based in Leicester, so not local unfortunately.

It does seem a shame to waste a tweeter, I might try to fabricate something, or I might just keep running it as is.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Edited by sonodrome - 02 September 2014 at 5:11pm
EdTheProfet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdTheProfet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2014 at 6:25pm
APT's are a fairly cheap component and there are no spares available (other than the diaphragm which requires soldering to replace). Be warned the newer (mk2) APT's have a standard 1 3/8" external screw thread.

Since you have one with and one without do a comparison and decide if you think its worth the effort to mend it. It is a functional part but to be fair if they sound OK then carry on using them as is, the only caveat to that being that the diaphragm might not be properly loaded so power handling might be reduced slightly.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2014 at 9:05pm
Well if it was epoxied on in the first place can you not just glue it back on? I've had the phase plug fall out of compression drivers before and just stuck it back in with a schmear of Araldite.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply