Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whiskey Barrel Bins (SLW Bins) ADVICE NEEDED!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whiskey Barrel Bins (SLW Bins) ADVICE NEEDED!
    Posted: 29 July 2016 at 4:12pm
Hello

So I am about to start building a custom Barrel box system for a Pirate Ship DJ Stage (Picture at bottom)

I have 12 200l Barrels and some drivers! The plan is to either front load or horn load 3 bass per side, 2 kicks ontop, then a Line array (Barrel Array :) style top system.... its all hugely experimental and will have a certain amount of trial and error.

Things i have been told to watch out for are the bass drop off from the bins because the drivers are so close to the edge of the cabnet (in the round). Also with the line array what sort of compression drivers to use, will the effect work with only 1 barrel (strapped back like a standard line array)

The Array system I plan to mount using a steel cantilever style support, where the bass cabinets are the weight to support the flown barrel. 

We have a few barrels spare to play around with, I already have the Void v18 drivers to use in the system but am unsure atm which style bass to go for - Option 1. Front loaded reflex style, possibly ported or Option 2. Horn loaded..... 

Also I have very little experience of line arrays so anyone opinion on it highly valued! 

Building will start in a couple weeks 

Cheers! 

Edited by Silas )))))) - 06 November 2016 at 11:22pm
power in the blood
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 4:23pm

Why not something like innerfield? Was used on Joe Rush's pirate ship at glasto in 2004

Silas )))))) View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 4:36pm
Sure I have seen stood in front of that system a few times, however I dont wanna copy theirs or use plastic barrels but the principle is almost the same.....

power in the blood
James Tengo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Tengo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 4:56pm
It was more the design concept, rather than your option 1 or 2, have the driver in a pod firing backwards.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 5:41pm
i think the reflex front loaded bass would be the easiest option and rear port them ,as making and fitting baffles inside the barrels would be a nightmare of a job
with regards the tops id say 200l tops would be pretty dam big and youd proabably have to section the barrels off maybe to get the drivers to work depending on what your gonna load them with 
or cut 1 barrell in half and use the 2 halves to make the tops maybe
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 6:16pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 6:19pm
My instinct was front loaded bass, but i was speaking with a designer at Celestion who said the bass wash off the baffle (Because it was round) maybe a issue.....I hadnt heard of that phenominom before. I had a plan for internal baffle fitting, but yes would be a pain. 

I would internally divide the hanging tops if needed and probably reduce the volume of the mids too. Drivers wise I am not sure what to use just yet.
power in the blood
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2016 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Silas )))))) Silas )))))) wrote:

i was speaking with a designer at Celestion who said the bass wash off the baffle (Because it was round) maybe a issue.....I hadnt heard of that phenominom before.

you haven't heard about it because it doesn't exist. At sub frequencies the round baffle has no effect or disadvantage compared to a rectangular shape.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 10:45pm
Ok so here is prototype 1.... The SLW (Smells Like Whiskey) Bin

No port, no wadding. Just a V18 in a barrel.... Sounds ok. quite muffled but very solid, no rattles or creaks. 

Im pretty sure I need to port it..... I have some question..... 

1. Does it matter if the port is in the front / rear / side?
2. If in the front my idea is to sit the driver off center near the top and place a port below.... If theres room. 

The barrels volume is 200L...... Can anyone help me work out whats the best size and position to port this SLW bin....

The other idea my friend had is to place the driver at the back of the barrel and flare the exit to make it like a horn..... 

Cheers guys! 

P.s the plan is to have 6 void loaded bottoms & 6 kicks on top.....
power in the blood
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 10:56am
Rear ported would be just fine and helps with the looks aspect
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 3:48pm
Combining two of my favourite things, great projectBig smile
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 7:16pm
Found this on Fulcrum Acoustic's Facebook page:

Cask-Strength bass to start the weekend.

18", 15" and 12" subwoofers built into decommissioned bourbon barrels. The 12" is a passive cardioid design. http://tinyurl.com/z62pon9

Barrels courtesy of Black Button Distillery. https://blackbuttondistilling.com/

Remember, Goggle is your frond!

Edited by jazomir - 24 September 2016 at 7:20pm
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>