Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whiskey Barrel Bins (SLW Bins) ADVICE NEEDED!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:00am
Cheers Zazomir - good to see his ideas. 

So we ran some simulations and made some adaptions, the new design works a treat. It sounds incredible, maybe im biased but im well pleased with the results. We may change the drivers depending on some other simulations but this is the result - 

I will upload some of the response graphs soon

power in the blood
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 12:01pm
They look great :)
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
rosssss224 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosssss224 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 12:32pm
superb!
Silas )))))) View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 7:10pm
Going to have 3 subs, 3 kicks and some kick of barrel top arrangement. Wondering about the Kicks - 15" but its a big box for a single 15 reflex. Perhaps closing off the internals to create a smaller chamber. Im after quite a punchy kick but not sure how to achieve it as yet. Try and see!

power in the blood
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2016 at 8:44pm
Ok so the top image shows the difference between my first prototype with no front port (Green) and the new design with a 300mm Port Shelf and hole (Yellow)

The bottom image shows a comparison between the V18 and the Celestion 18VJD, going to try out the C 18VJD very soon to hear what its sounds like. Problem is its a far more expensive option than the V18

Edited by Silas )))))) - 06 October 2016 at 8:45pm
power in the blood
BASSHORSE View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BASSHORSE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2016 at 10:39am
class bass barrel Clap
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2016 at 8:47pm
Today I tested the Celestion 1600w VJD and although on paper it should have out performed the Void it was not quite right, the void had more volume and shifted the air loads more. The celestion sounded tighter and smoother but the void had a really nice deep wobbly bass. 

In the blind test we all chose the Void.

power in the blood
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2016 at 11:20pm

Ok so we are getting there - here is one half of the system. I have yet to build the tops and put the grills on! But I need some advice for the tops - 

Obviously theres a lot of bass for not much top. I have to try and get it all in 1 barrel. I have a pair of BMS 4540ND's 1" compression's. I am about to buy a pair of flares, which then leaves me with a hi mid range choice. Im not sure what to do, I could fit a could of 10" mid drivers in the space below the flare. Or a single 12" or a pair of 8's......

Can anyone recommend a powerful and punch setup. I also need help with buying a crossover. I have never bought an internal crossover and will need to get the correct 2 way to split between the Comp and driver units.

The bass is running up to 70hz, the kicks are taking over up to 200hz, so the upper mid drivers would want to be 200hz up. then the comp take over.

I have very little experience with building midtops!   Got a gig for these soon so need to get it sorted asap. Will just dive in and try something soon. 

Cheers in advance
power in the blood
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 12:16am
id think a couple of high effiency 10" drivers maybe something like the 18sound 10m600 102db each
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 12:25pm
Would some coaxes be a sensible choice here? Ok they may not array amazingly but you're always going to make some sacrifices when building a rig housed in barrels. Can't be that much more expensive over a high quality 10"/horn/tweeter combination per box?
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Silas )))))) Silas )))))) wrote:

Ok so we are getting there - here is one half of the system. I have yet to build the tops and put the grills on! But I need some advice for the tops - 

Obviously theres a lot of bass for not much top. I have to try and get it all in 1 barrel. I have a pair of BMS 4540ND's 1" compression's. I am about to buy a pair of flares, which then leaves me with a hi mid range choice. Im not sure what to do, I could fit a could of 10" mid drivers in the space below the flare. Or a single 12" or a pair of 8's......

Is there going to be a second stack, or just this one alone?

+1 on the 10" coax driver idea. should be able to fit two 10" coaxes on one baffle
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 7:27pm
Yes this is just one stack, there will be the same the other side to make L and R. 

I have no experience of coaxial drivers. Any recconmendations? I don't really want to buy blind. 

Cheers
power in the blood
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>