Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whiskey Barrel Bins (SLW Bins) ADVICE NEEDED!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2016 at 7:43pm
I wouldn't get an off-the-shelf passive crossover if I were you - having been on that journey myself, I know they generally sound terrible! A proper crossover includes correction networks specific to the drivers involved, which in turn affect the values of the main filter componenets needed. Making the correct crossover for a given box involves lots of reading, about a day of measuring it in complex ways with tools you may have to build, some prototyping and more measuring, and at least £50 worth of components (if you're using the kind that will really survive in a PA box). 

Overall, an LMS with more outputs and an extra amp is probably easier! That way you can deal with driver misbehaviour with EQ, and the filters will definitely be what you think they are, and not what the driver thinks they should be.

(however, don't let me put you off expanding your knowledge ;) When you grok passive crossovers, the results can be really good)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
unclejam View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unclejam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2016 at 11:20pm
If space allows why don't you use a double 10 setup with one of the 10's to be a coax or you could possibly I stay a molded horn in the barrels.
Silas )))))) View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2016 at 7:59pm
Ok, thanks for the advice. I opted for this option, partly for price and as a test. Very happy with the results. Drivers used from top down - 

1* BMS 4540ND 1" Comp - (1.9k - 17k)
1* 18Sound 10M600 10" - (400 - 1k)
2* Celestion FTR-4080F 15" - (65 - 400)
3* Void V18 1000 18" - (30 - 70)

All powered with matrix.... There's a huge amount of warm sub.... its too much for the barn really, will look forward to playing with two of these stacks outside in the Spring. The dispersion from the single top unit is really good despite concerns. I think the whiskey barrel is an IDEAL shape and size and density for speakers.... Until they fall apart that is.... Not quite sure how I will overcome that one - keep tightening the hoops and hoping for the best!

I have been playing around with the 15's, they sound great as is, no shelf or depth to the port. Just a huge aperture. I closed off the inside of one half way to make the box 100L however there was no audible difference in sound in a blind test between the whole and half volume..... Any thoughts on this? I would have expected the box to tune higher and shift more air quicker.....  

We will be taking this out quite a few places next year. If you see it come and say hello. I will post one finally photo up soon of both finished stacks all grilled up and stand painted like old chunky ships wood. 

(Excuse the messy workshop.... Get the job done first.... Tidy second)

power in the blood
Prizefighter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prizefighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2016 at 9:40pm
Looking great so far! What a fun project.

At first, I was wondering if/how you were going to attach any handles but then realized you can just roll these babies anywhere you want to go (preferably not down stairs or up any big steep hills)!
Be a Prizefighter instead of a Dancecrasher!
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2016 at 9:51pm
nice!

Originally posted by Silas )))))) Silas )))))) wrote:

1* BMS 4540ND 1" Comp - (1.9k - 17k)
1* 18Sound 10M600 10" - (400 - 1k)

Is that a typo? would be a bit too much of a gap there between 1 and 2 kHz otherwise?

I closed off the inside of one half way to make the box 100L however there was no audible difference in sound in a blind test between the whole and half volume..... Any thoughts on this? I would have expected the box to tune higher and shift more air quicker.....  

nope, opposite. smaller port makes tuning go down!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 9:02am
Yes meant to put 1.6k.... I found above 1.6k the 10" sounded a bit harsh... However a proper test of multi genre's will help set the xovers better. 

By closing off i mean the actual inside of the barrel, not the port. So the box was effectively cut in half by an internal baffle, port the same size. 

Cheers
power in the blood
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 9:03am
They actually all have wheels on the back, they roll brilliantly :) but wont fit through most doors like that! 
power in the blood
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 2:26pm

I have been playing around with the 15's, they sound great as is, no shelf or depth to the port. Just a huge aperture. I closed off the inside of one half way to make the box 100L however there was no audible difference in sound in a blind test between the whole and half volume..... Any thoughts on this? I would have expected the box to tune higher and shift more air quicker.....  

Changing box volume mostly affects the lowest octave or so of it's response. As you are crossing from 18's into these, the odds are your crossover is set higher than the range of frequencies that would be most affected by the change in box volume.

Cheers,

David.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 12:50pm
pushing that 1" hard...
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silas )))))) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 5:58pm
Here we go - Its all finished and works perfectly! Well chuffed

power in the blood
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 6:19pm
That's awesome!! how is it sounding? 
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2017 at 6:35pm
well done looks superb, I trust it sounds just as goodSmile
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>