Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 7 or 8 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 7 or 8 ?
    Posted: 01 March 2012 at 3:41pm
  Anyone know much about benefits of Windows 8 over Widows 7?   I am considering buying an new desktop computer in the next month or so with Windows 7 o.s. (I do need Windows).     Is it worth waiting a few months longer until Windows 8 is on general release.  Not worried about touch screen or mobile phone/ pad benefits.  

Thanks in advance for any guidance
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Scrapdoodle Scrapdoodle wrote:

Anyone know much about benefits of Windows 8 over Widows 7?   I am considering buying an new desktop computer in the next month or so with Windows 7 o.s. (I do need Windows).     Is it worth waiting a few months longer until Windows 8 is on general release.  Not worried about touch screen or mobile phone/ pad benefits.  

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Personally, normally wait for the 1st service pack to come out, before upgrading to newest version of Windoze. Wink

'7 x64 Ultimate is currently running like a dream on my Q6600 + 16gB DDRIII, so my next upgrade question is Office 2007 or 2010. Embarrassed

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

...so my next upgrade question is Office 2007 or 2010. Embarrassed

Neither! Use one of the free, open-source alternatives.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

...so my next upgrade question is Office 2007 or 2010. Embarrassed

Neither! Use one of the free, open-source alternatives.

Know all about those (being UNIX developer), but in reality, there is no true replacement for Word, Excel, Outlook.

Will take this up (again) in separate thread.
/hijack
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2012 at 6:57pm
Not to mention 8 looks like a pile of wank IMO.

Great if you have a tablet / touchscreen and don't mind constantly flicking between desktop/metro. From the consumer preview, usability has flown out the window - it won't be easy to adjust to.

7 is a great OS and is mature enough by now to be plenty stable and fast. Early adopters to 8 will have nothing but headaches!

Edited by infrasound - 01 March 2012 at 6:58pm
GeorgeE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeorgeE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 11:05am
download the developer preview of windows 8 off microsoft's site. - see if you like it or not
I personally hate it, too much like a phone os. It'd be a pain to get anything done.
Stick to windows 7 for now I'd say.

Edited by GeorgeE - 02 March 2012 at 11:05am
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by GeorgeE GeorgeE wrote:

download the developer preview of windows 8 off microsoft's site. - see if you like it or not
I personally hate it, too much like a phone os. It'd be a pain to get anything done.
Stick to windows 7 for now I'd say.

I'll wait for '8 SP1 to come out.
Then for '8 DELL OEM DVD.
Then I can run it for free with quick patch to my bios. Wink

Steve Ballmer, CEO Microsoft:"I like those guys using my OS...anyone that is clever enough to bypass my WAT has deserved to use W7 for free!"

Edited by levyte357 - 02 March 2012 at 11:36am
Scrapdoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 12:11pm
Poor old Microsoft, being forced to pamper to current trends.  I still remember the day that it was the other way round.  
Think I will go for Windows 7.  Currently running XP but have the insultingly pretty and tiresome Vista on a laptop.  Might get Windows 7 a bit cheaper when 8 comes out.

Thanks for the advice
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2012 at 9:56pm
I'd go '7 x64 all the way, 8 as Lev Says will be Beta'd by the first 10 000 users...

go min 8Gb of ram, it is a cheap a chips and if you have 4 slots then use 2x4Gb so you can spend another £35 to get to 16Gb when you fancy...
Smile
Scrapdoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrapdoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 12:11pm
That makes sense Shagnasty - Thanks
Any thoughts on the merits of coughing up for an SSD unit as well as a hard disc?  I understand that it saves on boot time but little else when the computer is operational.  Also it aint cheap.
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 12:33pm
Your best bet for real data on SSD to HD comparisons and real world performance is to read articles at a site like Tom's hardware. Por ejemplo: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-review-benchmark,3139.html

The general feeling I get is that if you can afford one you should, and then stick all main applications and your OS on it. Leave the data on a standard HD. I will be investing when I build my next PC, and as my current is 6+ years old and starting to creak badly it won't be long.
stevesavage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesavage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 2:02pm
Windows 9 ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply