Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring 2x 4 pole speakon connectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISEYNEIGHBOURS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring 2x 4 pole speakon connectors
    Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:00pm
Hi people of speakerplans,

I am building a 1850 loaded with a void v18 1000. I have two connectors both speakon, each one has 4 connecters. How do I wire up the connecters to the driver. Your advice will be most appreciated.

Regards 

ermita View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ermita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:06pm
use +1 and -1 
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:06pm
It depends what your cables are wired.
But...
I would wire the positive terminal of your void to 1+ and the negative to 1-

Edit: ^ Yeah that LOL

Edited by mrspeedy - 30 August 2012 at 12:07pm
NOISEYNEIGHBOURS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISEYNEIGHBOURS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:16pm
thank you both, i am still trying to work out wiring the two speakons together, Im guessing 1+ to 1+, 1- to 1-, and the driver links up to the connecter that will feed the next cab (dont kno what u call it)... is this right?
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:22pm
Yes, if you want to wire in parallel (so if you connected 2 x 8ohm subs per channel you would get 4 ohms per channel on the amp)

So if you have 2 speakon sockets on your sub, one input and one output.
Wire your driver off the input 1+/1- and also solder on a short link cable that solders to the output speakon 1+/1- (so go 1+ to 1+ and 1- to 1- as you said) then you will be able to link cabs together. 

Edited by mrspeedy - 30 August 2012 at 12:23pm
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:27pm
 Like that
NOISEYNEIGHBOURS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISEYNEIGHBOURS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:37pm
thank you! And you even answered my next question about whether to solder, i shall be printing this diagram and adding this to my plans :D
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 12:53pm
No worries :D

I thought it better to solder, take the speaker cables twist the ends, tin them with a bit of solder.
Tin the tab on the speakon connector and lay both cables onto it.
You kind of need 3 hands but it is manageable! 

Good luck :)

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 5:55pm
Don't use NL2 on subs, you can't get some decent cable into NL2FCs and and you can't use NL4Fs with NL2MPs so best use NL4 chassis for everything...

Wire like this :-

that way you can use 2+/- for other things by using 4 core cable!!!

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by NOISEYNEIGHBOURS NOISEYNEIGHBOURS wrote:

thank you! And you even answered my next question about whether to solder, i shall be printing this diagram and adding this to my plans :D
Always solder and either heatshrink or Hellerman sleeve, the above tip and twisting, tinning, trimming and "sweating" onto a pre-tinned tab is a good one.
Use at least a 50W temp controlled iron, any less than 50W you melt the connector before you get the joint upto temp!!!
Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply