Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst rigs on the planet..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 154>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 5:46pm
NEVER wrap a cloth around and hide the cables! You should always have an absolute mess of cables, preferably with a light highlighting them. Then take a pic and post it on one of the Mobile DJ sites. Then stand back and wait.

It's much like saying on here that scoops can't do bass properly. :D
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2017 at 6:18pm
..they see me trollin' thay hatin'...

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2017 at 11:47am
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

I knew I was on a hiding to nothing. Every feckin' one of them told me what to play. Typically one person asked for Cotton Eye Jo, and the next asked for Beyonce, then Communards, then Stomzi, then Michael Ball. Try stringing that lot into some form of party set. The only thing I wasn't asked for was some Quo! Made a Radio 2 playlist look bangin'.

This made me laugh out loud. No wonder party djs often play such terrible sets.
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 11:26am

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

If you would have wrapped a cloth around the table to hid the cables it would have been a nice little setup!

I couldn't be arsed!

I was proper in the wrong frame of mind for the gig, absolute last minute rush of BS got in the way of proper planning, loads of crap changing at the last minute, coupled to the fact that I wasn't going to be able to drink, as driving back to unit after derig.

Mid afternoon before, I found out the venue owner who was going to let me set up at 3-4pm, wasn't going to make it before 7pm. Gig was supposed to start at 7pm for 7.30 arrival of birthday girl! Just a day of carnage and sweats.

I knew I was on a hiding to nothing. Every feckin' one of them tol
d me what to play. Typically one person asked for Cotton Eye Jo, and the next asked for Beyonce, then Communards, then Stomzi, then Michael Ball. Try stringing that lot into some form of party set. The only thing I wasn't asked for was some Quo! Made a Radio 2 playlist look bangin'.

There is no pleasing all the people all the time, and with me at the wheels of steel, there was no pleasing anyone, any of the time.

The DJ Booth was for my convenience, and to hide behind. The supports for DJ laptop and surface are bolted and wing-nuts through ply deck, and sized to perfectly take the DJM +2 x CDJ, in flight cases, and have a M10 + wing-nut to retain the 4 colorStrip Minis, 2 above, 2 below. All designed for speed and reliability.

I'll stick to being behind a proper mixing desk, if you don't mind. Give me an all day conference any time, far less to worry about.

Exactly the reasons I don't do discos anymore apart from the very odd one.
I used to love doing it years back, but its all changed now. just isn't the same,and I don't enjoy it anymore. Sometimes you barely have anyone on the dance floor no matter what you play.
Seems to be more problems than ever now with venues and organisation, and people in general, and what with too many Dj with £100 worth of kit from cash converters out there that will do a gig for next to nothing to make sure you can't charge a price to make it worth your while, it's just soul destroying.
Plus I've got arthritis in my spine, and just lifting kit makes it want to crumble to dust and drop out my arse. Sure you could get someone to help but by the time you split the money it's not worth it for either one of you.

I'll stick to live sound, much more fun and can charge properly.
100% Earth Moving Bass
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 11:49am
The only fun disco gigs are friends and family, where you get a hand with the loading, and you can get as drunk as necessary.

I recall setting up one such event, and leaving my partner happily in control of the both. By the the time that the noise cut off arrived the bar manager had to visit him 3 times, and by the last visit he was drinking straight from a bottle of Captain Morgan's finest in open view of her and all else. Needless to say he didn't look so clever the next day, but it was a very fun evening.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by GAZ. GAZ. wrote:

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

If you would have wrapped a cloth around the table to hid the cables it would have been a nice little setup!

I couldn't be arsed!

I was proper in the wrong frame of mind for the gig, absolute last minute rush of BS got in the way of proper planning, loads of crap changing at the last minute, coupled to the fact that I wasn't going to be able to drink, as driving back to unit after derig.

Mid afternoon before, I found out the venue owner who was going to let me set up at 3-4pm, wasn't going to make it before 7pm. Gig was supposed to start at 7pm for 7.30 arrival of birthday girl! Just a day of carnage and sweats.

I knew I was on a hiding to nothing. Every feckin' one of them tol
d me what to play. Typically one person asked for Cotton Eye Jo, and the next asked for Beyonce, then Communards, then Stomzi, then Michael Ball. Try stringing that lot into some form of party set. The only thing I wasn't asked for was some Quo! Made a Radio 2 playlist look bangin'.

There is no pleasing all the people all the time, and with me at the wheels of steel, there was no pleasing anyone, any of the time.

The DJ Booth was for my convenience, and to hide behind. The supports for DJ laptop and surface are bolted and wing-nuts through ply deck, and sized to perfectly take the DJM +2 x CDJ, in flight cases, and have a M10 + wing-nut to retain the 4 colorStrip Minis, 2 above, 2 below. All designed for speed and reliability.

I'll stick to being behind a proper mixing desk, if you don't mind. Give me an all day conference any time, far less to worry about.

Exactly the reasons I don't do discos anymore apart from the very odd one.
I used to love doing it years back, but its all changed now. just isn't the same,and I don't enjoy it anymore. Sometimes you barely have anyone on the dance floor no matter what you play.
Seems to be more problems than ever now with venues and organisation, and people in general, and what with too many Dj with £100 worth of kit from cash converters out there that will do a gig for next to nothing to make sure you can't charge a price to make it worth your while, it's just soul destroying.
Plus I've got arthritis in my spine, and just lifting kit makes it want to crumble to dust and drop out my arse. Sure you could get someone to help but by the time you split the money it's not worth it for either one of you.

I'll stick to live sound, much more fun and can charge properly.

I thought maybe the mobile dj scene was better in other areas than it is around here, evidently not, I also only do the odd gig these days for many of the reasons mentioned above. At the last gig I did a few weeks ago in a venue I've been dj-ing at fairly regularly for the last 17-ish years I just couldn't seem to enjoy it, and to top it off at the end of the night I had to haggle with the (fairly recent) landlord who was so pissed he could hardly talk to get my pay from him, at one point he actually had the cheek to offer me £50! My reply to this was to laugh in his face and politely tell him to 'f*ck off'. I had a phone call at about 5pm on a Saturday afternoon the week after asking could I do a gig there that night as he was desperate, my reply to that was pretty much the same as above. 
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 9:07pm

[QUOTE=mini-mad]
I knew I was on a hiding to nothing. Every feckin' one of them told me what to play. Typically one person asked for Cotton Eye Jo, and the next asked for Beyonce, then Communards, then Stomzi, then Michael Ball. Try stringing that lot into some form of party set. The only thing I wasn't asked for was some Quo! Made a Radio 2 playlist look bangin'.

I only take written requests now, few good reasons:
  • To stop the young females (I can't really use the word ladies to describe most of them) who think that the best way to get a request played is to rest their bust on my elbow while they're talking to me.
  • Not forgetting the ones who no matter what kind of party it is and what sort of music has been asked for by the person paying me insists that I play - Drake, Rihanna, Sean Paul, dancehall - in the belief that anybody singing with a cod JA accent is marvelous.
  • So that know what they're actually asking for, gives me a chance to check rather than have some drunk with bad breath talking to my face (where my ear isn't but my nose is) and trying to explain the song that they want although they don't know the singer or the title but they can hum it to me. (classic 80s example was a request for 'unlock the jukebox' which turned out to be Adam & the Ants 'Ant Music', still a good floor filler for a certain kind of 80s gig).
  • To save them waving a phone in my face with incredibly small lettering and demanding that that track is played next.
  • Those that expect me to play YouTube songs from unknowns.
  • Them that want 'the next big thing' and telling me what it is - I want the current big thing or maybe the previous big things that people can remember - 'cos that's what people dance to Angry
  • And to help with the new phase in dance and the charts where the nominal artist has a guest start doing the actual singing, viz. the current hit by Clean Bandit - which is routinely asked for as by Zara Larson since she sings in the track but confuses the hell out of old DJs who have their music sorted by artist rather than by title Cry

Asking them to write down their request(s) gives a little order to the event for me, and something to show to the host afterwards if they comment on the music.

And yes, many times I look at the requested music and ask myself  'why don't I give that a try' and many many times it works; stuff that I wouldn't have thought of playing in a million years (mainly cos of bad memoryBig smile  ) 

Edited by BJtheDJ - 10 April 2017 at 11:37pm
GAZ. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAZ. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2017 at 11:32pm
Sad to hear it's not just me. I used to get such a buzz out of doing discos, pretty much dread it nowadays. Got one to do this Saturday, Wish me luck boys!

Oh and why is it everyone at parties now particularly the ladies seem to just be there in order to take pictures of themselves and do reports for Facebook and all the other popularity contest sites rather than actually enjoy the party?
100% Earth Moving Bass
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2017 at 8:40am

Oh and why is it everyone at parties now particularly the ladies seem to just be there in order to take pictures of themselves and do reports for Facebook and all the other popularity contest sites rather than actually enjoy the party?

Like this....

It is what the "kids" do these days. Mewh.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:55am
Originally posted by samwills samwills wrote:

Originally posted by 4AC 4AC wrote:

I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
nickyburnell View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickyburnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 8:10am

Sad to hear it's not just me. I used to get such a buzz out of doing discos, pretty much dread it nowadays. Got one to do this Saturday, Wish me luck boys!

I did it for years, 76 to 96. Everything from Weddings to Residency in Ibiza. 

My mate describes my attitude to it now as Post Traumatic Disco Fever.  I actually tried again a year or so ago and just became so damn angry at the utter social retarded mindset of Joe public I vowed never again, poxy fat old ladies dressed in curtains asking for Queen, sallow faced selfie queens, tons of beards standing outside vaping.   Same party in 1980 would have been amazing with nobody giving a damn what genre the music was, just having a good time. Dead

The pictures bit:  We made fast cars when we were young, but kept the exhausts quiet so old bill didn't hear us tearing up the streets. Now they have 50hp Corsa's with an exhaust that says, "look at me".  Its all look at me, ego, pontificating and no substance.

A very disturbing  snippet.   1 out of every 10 photographs ever taken in human history were taken in the last 12 months. 

Edited by nickyburnell - 21 May 2018 at 8:11am
It's everything, not everythink!
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2018 at 1:53pm
I appreciate every like :)) https//www.facebook.com/genomesoundsystems
Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/gen-ome/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 154>