Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xilica xp-4080

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bryan M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xilica xp-4080
    Posted: 22 November 2010 at 8:15pm

Been playing around with the XILICA XP-4080 today. Linked all 3 together using an ethernet switch and got the Xpanel communicating with the units.

The software was a bit of a pain to get going, until i figured out that i had to assign my pc a static ip address the program would crash every time i tried to get the units on line. On line manuals are quite vague so i can imagine there might be a bit more of this sort of fun and games to come!

The xpanel is brilliant software wise. Every parameter you can allow it to modify has max and min settings that are software based, all unit functions are available to be assigned to it but obviously its down to you. Only thing i would say is the buttons are a bit flimsy, would much prefer some nice rubber ones but overall build quality is pretty good.

The XP-4080 is a 4 input 8 ouptut unit based around there earlier models that i think many of us are familiar with. The Screen only has 2 lines, few some reason i was under the impression it would of kept the same, larger screen used on its predecessor. This makes inputting data from the front panel a little bit slow but its the same layout as the dp range so it takes no time to get around once you've had a look around.

One thing i did notice on the software for the unit was that it has a compressor available to you across the input. At last i say! I spoke to the guys at XTA a while ago about offering this on a 1048 so you weren't relying on the output limiters to protect the speakers from destruction in an install but i think it fell on deaf ears. This means that in an install situation you aren't relying on the output limiters to keep the system safe when your not around, this results in much smoother limiting when the unit is under heavy load.

This means now the drawmer speaker protectors could be a thing of the past, not that i don't like the units, i just prefer keeping the total number of units in the signal path to an absolute minimum. Also with the control units in most installs being locked this means no fiddling which is also a bonus.

The front panel doesn't have any buttons to let you access the input and output controls by the looks of it. Each channel has a mute button but these units are obviously laptop only. The front panel has usb and rs 232 inputs and the on the rear there is an Ethernet input so i guess they've covered all the bases.

Not actually had any audio through these ones yet, will let you know how that goes when it happens but first impressions are all good!

B
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Bryan M Bryan M wrote:

Only thing i would say is the buttons are a bit flimsy, would much prefer some nice rubber ones but overall build quality is pretty good.

Ye it is the same on the EV DC-one.

I like the Ethernet input as well as the USB option.

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 3:15am
I use them on my installs

Yagga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yagga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 9:03am
I Have one in an install, locked me out again for the third time in two years and also lost all the settings for the second time. other than that its been fine, audio is great on this.

One other grip is this meeting options aren't great in the software, but for the price you cant argue.
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Bryan M Bryan M wrote:

..The front panel doesn't have any buttons to let you access the input and output controls by the looks of it. Each channel has a mute button but these units are obviously laptop only...

Not actually had any audio through these ones yet, will let you know how that goes when it happens but first impressions are all good!

B

If I understand you right .. not laptop only.. 

You can access to all features without laptop (of course if you know password - if it is set).
To select inputs or outputs you want to control or change parameters keep pressed one of "menu" buttons (same left or right) .. and while "menu" is pressed just press button under channels you want to control.

You can select only one output or select/deselect more of them at will by pressing "mute" buttons under each channel level meters (as said..while keeping "menu button pressed).
When output(s) or input(s) is selected green LED will lit on so you see on which channels you work

Than it is pretty intuitive -easy ..
"menu" buttons will move you from page - to page
"cursor" buttons move you through parameters and "sub-pages" of each page .. (huhhh) :)
"rotating dial" ..change values .. Big smile

Only setting or changing password/locking depth can be done only through laptop. .. (however can be unlocked without laptop but at power off-on will  be returnrd in "locked" state).

Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 12:18pm
..only source - signal routing levels  have to be done separately for each channel.
it will stay preserved even if you later set other all parameters in "group selected" mode.
(you can mix levels of various input channels at levels at will for each output channel)

After few minutes of fiddling with and when you get it's logic you will be able to setup them quick as berry from front panel even in rush of live PA setup :)

Hope this helps .. (if even needed help) ..heeh Smile
Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2013 at 5:42pm
bump , what's the verdict these days? 

I want something that can put my mind at rest when i leave my desk to go for a wee during a gig . 

The compressor on these sounds ideal. 

Will the software run on a tablet? 
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 1:54am
I use both drawmer speaker protector and xilica, but without input limiter.
xilica is fine, but two things are really dumb:

especially xp version is a hf noise generato:-(r

xconsole v. 9 has no master volume in between input & output section ! if it only had it would work out as a mixer for small jobs, remotecontrollable by laptop, but now you have to turn ALL in / outputs down at the same time to do that. It should be a programming thing to do it.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
deejayraj786 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deejayraj786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2015 at 6:54am
how do i make a 3 way stereo programme in xilica xp4080
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 12:45am
You can freely choose how to route the outputs
Or sell it to me:)
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 10:47am
It's not totally clear how to use these when not using them through the laptop interface . 

but a quick tip is , to select the channel you wish to change , hold down right hand menu button and the channel you want to change . then use the menu and cursor buttons to flick though the menus . 

on each channel you will need to scroll over and select what input channels you want to us i think its called 'int'  .

then set you cross over points and select filters/slopes . 

to mono the bass just turn on channel 1 and 2 on the bass channels . 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2015 at 10:49am
Just noticed staiper has already explained all this...... doh!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>