Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xtro flare redevelopement thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:30pm
to put a phase plug in the original straight horn.. you'd need to totally change the start of the horn to accomodate the plug, therefore the geometry.. it's a begin again project really isn't it?
toastyghost View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Do you have any directivity characteristics? Basicly any info really appreciated. Im fighting here with abec http://forum.speakerplans.com/abec-problems_topic98514.html
I started even cooling processor with ventilator. Got so hot
Im wondering xt8 was designed by try and makes methods or invented in some software? Or made partly as rough idea in hornresp and than perfected?

Wider openning at the begging may be due to extending top of bandwidth around 2.2k. As I was simulating with hornresp I could go higher with Sentry around 170cm2 than 100cm2

I suspect there was a fair amount of guesswork and no simulation.

I would concentrate on getting the dispersion right, frequency response is easier to fix with EQ...

The original straight Xtro flare, plus phase plug as Markk says would be a reasonable starting point.

When I was thinking about doing something similar, I wanted to try a Quatratic Throat Waveguide:

You can change the response with EQ but only in one position - if your directivity is way off at certain frequencies then you aren't going to fix that with filters, especially if you're not a serious whizz.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 7:14am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Originally posted by gen0me gen0me wrote:

Do you have any directivity characteristics? Basicly any info really appreciated. Im fighting here with abec http://forum.speakerplans.com/abec-problems_topic98514.html
I started even cooling processor with ventilator. Got so hot
Im wondering xt8 was designed by try and makes methods or invented in some software? Or made partly as rough idea in hornresp and than perfected?

Wider openning at the begging may be due to extending top of bandwidth around 2.2k. As I was simulating with hornresp I could go higher with Sentry around 170cm2 than 100cm2

I suspect there was a fair amount of guesswork and no simulation.

I would concentrate on getting the dispersion right, frequency response is easier to fix with EQ...

The original straight Xtro flare, plus phase plug as Markk says would be a reasonable starting point.

When I was thinking about doing something similar, I wanted to try a Quatratic Throat Waveguide:

Its funny how many (fundamental) mathematical errors are in that paper.
(I did not click on the link but i assume this is the peavey document?)
Also, if you start drawing out the (correct) equations and throw them into a simulator, you will probably find out pretty quickly why it really isnt all that amazing.
Best regards,
Teun.

,,Diamonds are forever''
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 9:00am
I would imagine a QTW can't be worse than just a straight conical waveguide without a smooth transition at the throat?

I did start doing some experiments a couple of years ago with the fibreglass versions of the Xtro flare.  I modified the throat from square to closer to rounded and trying to add Martin Wavefront style 'Phase Balls' although I was only making them from Polystyrene and probably weren't rigid enough.  Loaded with a an 18Sound 8M400 it did work fairly well.  I can't remember what the high extension was like.  I've still got the ones I started modifying if anyone wants to pick up the project because I can't see me doing it any time soon.

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:38am
how much?
If you want people to feel the bass then a reflex design is probably best as you get the most air movement per decibel from those.      errrrr yes wtf?
krestudon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krestudon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 hours 37 minutes ago at 11:42am
Do you still need measurements on a B&C 8pe21?

I'm available.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic