Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1/2 X-TRO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1/2 X-TRO
    Posted: 07 January 2008 at 9:16am
What do you think about this ?????
loaded with 18Sound components

Edited by arxxx - 06 September 2008 at 7:42am
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 9:18am
I can't see anything?
arxxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 9:23am

Edited by arxxx - 06 September 2008 at 7:43am
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 10:38am
I've been thinking about working on a similar idea, but in some ways the design loses it's beauty with the single 15", because the use of shared back chamber is a good use of space in the original.

I don't really understand your pic to be honest, any chance you could label up where the drivers go?Embarrassed
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 1:17pm

The 15" is on the far left, the 8" is at the top, and the comp is in the horn mouth of the 15".

I would have thought as long as you stick to the same exact horn dimentions and folding as the original you cant go far wrong, I agree with darkmatter in that the real genius of the design will be lost, but you'll still have a great cab (and alot lighter!!) It also depends on whether or not the 'kick section' will keep up with the comp driver?? I thought i read that the 8" driver was the quietest/had to work the hardest to keep up, so it might be a good match.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Jake_Fielder Jake_Fielder wrote:

The 15" is on the far left, the 8" is at the top, and the comp is in the horn mouth of the 15".

Thought so. How about using the DE250 comp instead of the DE500, then with a bit of processing you could keep the 1:1:1 ratio? How much has the back chamber volume on the 15 changed then? Sorry I should really work it out meself, just being lazy :P

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 3:41pm
Bear in mind that the Xtro is a decent height on the standard plan, and that by cutting out the second 15" driver the cabinet will be quite squat in stature and therefore unless you have very tall subs to go under it will need flying or elevating and angling in some way.
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 4:51pm
Too much wasted space below the 15" horn flare.

Best regards,

Walt
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 5:29pm
toasty i had the same thought when i was thinking of splitting them. i'd decided i'd only go the route of splitting the 15s off, and making another cab with a double 8 and 1 maybe?

i stopped thinking about it to be honest, as the spl from 2 xtros will be perfectly adequate for me. may not be the easiest cabs to lift, but the space and number of cabinets saved make it worth it, and they'll stack neatly with punishers.

Walt - just wanted to say thanks v much for giving your designs away for free, really inspired meSmile
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 6:10pm
Two man job, three if you want to make it easy and need to get at head height or higher. They're actually a lot more manageable than I expected, as long as you get your weight underneath them they go up nice and quick and stay put.

Try and stay at the front end for staircases though
 Post Reply Post Reply