Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" Comps above 2"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by sKs01 sKs01 wrote:

6+1 horn loaded for my money or 6 horn (plugged)+ super tweeters.

the beyma does look rather tasty though i have to admit, even not liking comps i can see the appeal of that beast.

Have decided on 2" horn + 1" comp route, as that seems one of the more professional moden approaches.

Only question now, what are the sweetest sounding 1" compression drivers from 8khz to 20khz?

High power is not really an issue, as I'm sure even 50W rated drivers, will handle 100W @ 8khz+.

Edited by levyte357 - 23 October 2008 at 3:59pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Marvin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 6:32pm
thats the combo i went with too. As u said power isn't really an issue from 8k up. I use celestion cdx1-1730 above 2"
sKs01 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sKs01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 7:23pm
so how does this fit in with your mid top ideas currently then? still going for a 121? and if so how do you plan to fit the two comps in or are you building something a bit special?
You're a big man, but you're in bad shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Have decided on 2" horn + 1" comp route, as that seems one of the more professional moden approaches.

Although that combo should sound good, I doubt that will sound as criss as using separate added bullets / super tweeters!

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Only question now, what are the sweetest sounding 1" compression drivers from 8khz to 20khz?

Pricey ones!Wink

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by sKs01 sKs01 wrote:

so how does this fit in with your mid top ideas currently then? still going for a 121? and if so how do you plan to fit the two comps in or are you building something a bit special?

Definitely MT121.

Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

Although that combo should sound good, I doubt that will sound as criss as using separate added bullets / super tweeters!

Would need expensive 1" to get anywhere near bullets. But I know a few guys who use Beyma/B&C 1.4" Comps, and say it still has sparkle, so must be a few 1"out there that will do the business.

Problem is, I keep hearing about 1.4" comps being blown, which is why I haven't gone for my Beyma 755TI bad bwoy.

I'm sure DE25/Celestion CDX 1745 or Beyma CP380 would go sparkle more than most 1"/top $$ 1.4s

Edited by levyte357 - 23 October 2008 at 8:51pm
Marvin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 8:56pm
the celestion cdx1-1730 is the neo version to the cdx1-1745 smaller and lighter with no loss in output performance can lend u one each for ur test.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 9:00pm
Get the 2 on a big horn, and hang the 1 in the horn, Apogee style.

High reaching comps, eh? They still make them - look at the FR graphs of the wimpier big name comps.
Away on extended leave.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Deadbeat Deadbeat wrote:

High reaching comps, eh? They still make them - look at the FR graphs of the wimpier big name comps.

Yup, thats what I'm doing. Research is telling me in terms of 1" B&C/Celestion are the best choices here, even though I expected much from Beyma.

However FR graphs for few of the B&C 1" drivers, show dip @ approx 12k, especially DE45.

Will hopefully be testing at BMS 1" at weekend.
Deadbeat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadbeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 11:17am
Yeah - I can see the break up. Different diaphragm materials ought to fare better. Don't forget the polars Wink

Anyway - good luck with the BMS - heard it and it's quite a nice one.

If you want some 3rd part ones - here's a linky:
Away on extended leave.
breakdabeat pete View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breakdabeat pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2008 at 8:06pm
those celestion drivers look tasty
has anyone on here actually tested any of them yet?
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2009 at 2:12pm

today i spent 180euros and bought 2 x de250 ad me45 by b&c, all brand new so i guess i got a really good price. i'm thnking about putting them above 2"horn and let them play 6,5khz and up(as the 2" has a dip at those frequencies). is it better than 4xtweeter horns?

i'm also building a couple of monitors with 12"midbass driver...so if i go for the b&c comps above 2", i'll put tweeters in them crossed at about 3,5khz
roborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2009 at 8:35pm
I like the idea of something above 2" compression drivers, but to be absolutely honest every time i tried it (like twice) i decided i'd just stick with the 2" exit driver for simplicity.  I did use bullets above 2" selenium drivers before, but i used them as a super-tweeter array rather than in anyway time-aligned or even close to the drivers, i xed over at about 7-9Khz
  I would say that if 1" compresion drivers are used they must have titanium diaphragms and be on very short horns.  I found selenium d210ti's are a really cheap & good for this purpose.
  I really want to try some good slots above the beyma cp750tis im using at the moment.

cheers,
  Rob.
What I cannot create, I do not understand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>