Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" Horn Flares - educate me!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 6:21pm
Your 70º phase is likely to be related to the high impedance peak questioned by charden.
Certainly it is not an 'expected' result for a well designed passive two-way crossover input where the VI phase shifts tend to cancel each other for the low and high pass sections.

Mik

Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 6:26pm
I'm not worried about the frequency response - it's +/- 2dB, which is OK. It's the electrical phase that bothers me - the black dotted line in the impedance curve. I'm  normally able to keep this within +/- 45 degrees, but there's so much equalization going on here, that I haven't been able to manage it.

It's the crossover producing the impedance peak. And yes, there's a zobel on the woofer (plus a third-order electrical filter and a parallel notch filter).
stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by audiomik audiomik wrote:

Certainly it is not an 'expected' result for a well designed passive two-way crossover input where the VI phase shifts tend to cancel each other for the low and high pass sections.

I could have another go at the crossover, but I'm wondering how important this peak in the electrical phase actually is in practice.

Edited by stevie - 10 December 2012 at 6:38pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2012 at 6:50pm
Equalisation networks in passive crossovers will cause impedance variations and phase shifts, absolutely nothing you can do about that.
truecolour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truecolour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2012 at 9:48pm
the peaks at the 5kHz upwards range are just resonances in the horn - in the compression driver, throat and mouth. The grille will only produce small ripples if a couple of dB or less and would probably be at a higher frequency.

As for the electrical phase - with a horn loaded CD, i would be surprised if you could hear any kind of phase shift in the HF.

The plots look fine. how does it sound?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12