Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1" Horns and adaptors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YoungBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1" Horns and adaptors
    Posted: 29 December 2007 at 4:57pm
Mate of mine has 2x 2x15 skytec cabs he is upgrading.

Obviously replacing 15"s is no problem, and swapping piezos for Eminence supertweeters is fine.

He has a 1" adaptor that converts the screw in horn to bolt on. However the adaptor doesnt completely screw into the horn.

Are there different types of 1" screw to bolt on adaptor?

Will 1" driver with screw in mount have same problem?

He doesnt want to Mod cab to change horn as this is only problem, and he cant find any horns that fit cutout exactly.
"chyll wynstan.."
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2008 at 12:13pm
You really want the front of the male thread to sit snugly against the end of the female thread.
If this is ok then the fact that some of the male thread can still be seen is immaterial.
What you want is a smooth internal joint without any sudden steps or gaps.
If there is an internal gap this could be filled with a small annular ring made of plastic.

Tony
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2008 at 2:50pm
I'm not 100% certain on this so I'll post my thoughts...... then hopefully they will jog someone else into either confirming or shooting me down in flames.

I have a feeling that the eminence supertweeters don't use the same standard thread as other screw on compression drivers.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2008 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

I'm not 100% certain on this so I'll post my thoughts...... then hopefully they will jog someone else into either confirming or shooting me down in flames.

I have a feeling that the eminence supertweeters don't use the same standard thread as other screw on compression drivers.

Youngblood is not talking about the eminence supertweeters.

He is talking about attaching a standard  1" bolt-on comp driver to a skytec 1" screw horn via an adaptor.

It is not possible to screw the adaptor into the horn completely to obtain flush joining.

I'm half thinking about removing 10mm from the length of the horn throat to combat this.

Edited by levyte357 - 01 January 2008 at 4:16pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
 Post Reply Post Reply