Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12"+8"+1" Mid/High Plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 4:36am
Just a sidenote:

While playing last Sat. I lost one of my mid/highs 3 songs into a set. The band took a break as soon as possible and I started backtracing. I ended up all the way back to the cabinet itself. I pulled the jack plate off to find the very complicated crossover/zobel had vibrated loose and ripped the wires off of everything as it fell to the bottom of the cabinet. Sweat is building because we had just took our other cabinets out of the trailer a couple days earlier. I went to emergency repair method one. Solder the 15" back to one input jack and the top horn back to the other. Plugged in the mid line and high line and cringed the rest of the night. Censored
But I did manage to get the band back up in ten minutes.
You say it's too loud-I say your hearing is too good
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 8:59am

Im really interested in how this design goes, I thought it was more conventional to go for a 6" driver with a 12" and 1", any reason for going with an 8"??

Im getting dejavu, Have you started a thread with tis design in already, and tony told you to line up the drivers.....? or am i completely insane?!

EDIT: Haha here it is (BAM!) how come you dropped this design?

Edited by Jake_Fielder - 16 January 2008 at 9:27am
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 12:58pm
How have you designed the 8 flare on the Bmf2 is it a scaled mt? have you gone for the 45x45 flare - if thats what it is - to match the first section of the the 8? -keep us updated!
unlucky on the rattling xover!
bmf2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 1:07pm

I picked the 8" because of the 101 spl. The Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" I was thinking of using is only 97. I would need two of them to keep up and they aren't available in a 4 ohm which would cause me problems in wiring the cab up (two 4 ohm series for 8 ohm).

The 8" flare is designed to have two patterns. The first being a wide pattern and when the inserts are installed being a 40 degree. Both where compromised a little to make it work.

Yes Jake this is a variation of the old design. I found a source for the High flare I wanted to use and got exact dims. for it so I could get a little further in the box design.
You say it's too loud-I say your hearing is too good
Jake_Fielder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake_Fielder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2008 at 2:05pm
Well it seems like a good idea, im especially interested as im goin to be building some midtops soon. as pooju says: keep us updated

Cheers
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 1:36am
Originally posted by bmf2 bmf2 wrote:

I picked the 8" because of the 101 spl. The Eminence LA6-CBMR 6-1/2" I was thinking of using is only 97. I would need two of them to keep up and they aren't available in a 4 ohm which would cause me problems in wiring the cab up (two 4 ohm series for 8 ohm).

The 8" flare is designed to have two patterns. The first being a wide pattern and when the inserts are installed being a 40 degree. Both where compromised a little to make it work.

Yes Jake this is a variation of the old design. I found a source for the High flare I wanted to use and got exact dims. for it so I could get a little further in the box design.

You realise that those sensitivity measurements were made on a standard enclosure or baffle, so on a horn it doesnt count.

Also youl notice that the 6" will have almost half the cone area of the 8"- thus giving the +3dB.

Remember that the highest frequencies are effected by teh first part of the horn.
So from what I can see from your diagram,the dispersion will be more narrower in the upper region of the midhorn,where it will cross over to the HF horn.

ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 3:27pm
first tb_mike is right and 2nd I don't want to be too rude but this Eminence 8" sounds like crap above 2k... the extension of response frequency is because of mechanical resonance. in other words, it produces more distortion than anything else... that's why it's so cheap...
Maffy Dmg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Dmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2022 at 4:51pm
Good evening my name is Alex, I would like more technical specifications on this project because I would be interested in building it thanks.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2022 at 8:37pm
Maybe out of luck there Alex, the last time the OP was on this site was 13 years ago!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
Maffy Dmg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maffy Dmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2022 at 3:36pm
What a bundle, thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12