Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" Bass (project cancelled)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" Bass (project cancelled)
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:32pm
Edit. On second thoughts not worth pursuing.

Hi, 

Some background as to why I am trying to do this is at the end of the post if you are interested.

I have a pair of BMS 12n620 I would like to use in a bass bin.

I'm using WinISD Pro Alpha.

Some Questions.
Cone Excursion: 
1) Is shown as peak to peak (both ways) or Peak (one way)? 

2) How does impedance influence cone excursion, it appears that there is an impedance spike quite close to my cone excursion peak. I am wondering how does this affect the cone excursion,  it's unlikely I will be putting 500w peaks into the driver if the impedance at 60hz is 25ohms. 
Or does WinISD already take this into account? 
Or possibly I am misunderstanding something fundamental?

Cabinet Goals
Smallish box that will hit 40hz to 100hz and @ ~106dB or more. 

Size 60Ltr 
Tuning 39Hz

WinISD Results 

Magnitude  + Filter Settings.

Cone Excursion 500W

Impedance (Does this seem right?)

Maximum SPL

So I am up for just building this and seeing what happens, but thought I would ask first as it's likely I could have misunderstood or made silly mistakes. 

Any help is welcome. 
Thanks.

Back Ground
I have a pair of double 12" + 1" cabs I am not using and have not been able to sell. 
Since my cubo 12s can easily outpace the little 2x 8" community tops I got for them I am planning to use the drivers out of the double 12" mid tops to build: 

1 pair of 12+1 tops for the cubo 12s 
1 pair of 12" bass bins for the Community tops.

So I know the cones are not ideal for a bass bin, but if I can get a result good enough for home use and BBQs then at least I am doing something useful with them and learning (hopefully).

Edited by Speaker Sol - 22 May 2017 at 11:52pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:51pm
First check speaker parameters. Winding deepth 19mm, magnet gap deepth 8mm and Xmax 3.5 dont calculate. No matter how. http://www.bmsspeakers.com/fileadmin/bms-data/product_data_2011/cones_neodymium/bms_12n620_2011-04_neodymium_low_midrange_driver.pdf
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:56pm
Intersting. 

Web Site States X-Max of 5.5mm+/- 

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:01pm
Xmax = (Voice Coil Length - Height of the Magnetic Gap) / 2.
Xmax = (19 - 8) / 2 
Xmax = 5.5

Correct?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:04pm
Is it possible that at one time they felt that above 3.5mm the distortion was such that they considered the xmax to be 3.5mm. But at a later date switched to just calculating xmax regardless of distortion levels?
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:50pm
12n620s are not really bass bin drivers are they?! why waste time and money on something that could be done better with dedicated drivers?

5.5mm linear xmax seems spot on imo though.. good for low tuned "fullrange tops" but not on bass duty
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

12n620s are not really bass bin drivers are they?! why waste time and money on something that could be done better with dedicated drivers?

5.5mm linear xmax seems spot on imo though.. good for low tuned "fullrange tops" but not on bass duty

Explanation as to why im thinking of doing this is at the end of my first post.

If the general consensus is its not worth the effort, I will put them on a shelf unit someone eants to buy them off me...

Edited by Speaker Sol - 22 May 2017 at 8:58pm
gen0me View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gen0me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:46pm
There cannot be distortion before vc leaves the gap. Where from?
You could add like italians do 1/4 gap than it makes 7.5mm...

Edited by gen0me - 22 May 2017 at 10:49pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:50pm
Okay. I think this is bad idea.

Will focus on the mid-top
And sell the spare two drivers / make a second pair of tops.

Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply