Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 inches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 inches
    Posted: 02 July 2009 at 4:26pm

Hey there,

I’m just curious, if anyone has any 12” scoop designs handy, or recommended.

I’m STILL considering making a pair of 12” scoops, for the lounge, and wanna see whats about before I commit to the design I have in my plans (Eminence 12)

Cheers,
C

Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 4:39pm
Maybe these designs will fit...
http://www.speakerplans.com/FORUM/forum_posts.asp?TID=27673&title=peshkov-sub--scoop--tapped--arls
greez
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 4:44pm

awesome. Thank you.

Did you just scale all the dimensions down...or was there any adjustments??

Cheers!!

Edited by Strange Daze - 02 July 2009 at 4:48pm
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

I’m STILL considering making a pair of 12” scoops, for the lounge, and wanna see whats about before I commit to the design I have in my plans (Eminence 12)

What are the lowest freqs you are expecting to reproduce?
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 5:39pm
cos it won't be that low.

I could understand a 12" scoop... if it still had the path length and mouth size of a full size...
Ibex View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 5:53pm

awesome. Thank you.

Did you just scale all the dimensions down...or was there any adjustments??

Cheers!!

Just downscaled, no adjustments...
Which Eminence driver do you wanna use?
bitzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 7:03pm
check the eminence book, it's good start point.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2009 at 7:35pm
scaling a hog down to fit a 8/10" driver in, what sort of response are we talking?  90hz and up?  or higher?  want to make a 'kick' bin with a direct radiating driver to allow up to a 90-800hz response.  will a scaled down scoop of this size have any efficiency benefits in the 90-800hz region when compared against a reflex cab tuned and high passed at around the 90hz point?  this will be used as a single cab with a horn dealing with 800hz and up.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
bassmish View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 1:33am
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

What are the lowest freqs you are expecting to reproduce?

I think the question should be 'how loud do you want the low f response?'...

I'm pretty sure that the main influence of having a smaller driver will not be that it will not play as low but rather it will not play low notes as loud..

you could make a 12'' scoop with extremely similar freq response to 18'', it just wouldn't play the low notes as loud.

gotta remember that 5'' reflex hi fi speakers will still play down to like 40hz. Just not as well.
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by bassmish bassmish wrote:

you could make a 12'' scoop with extremely similar freq response to 18'', it just wouldn't play the low notes as loud.

A Correctly tuned 2x12" reflex cab, using Eminence LF drivers, will easily go low enough to play organ notes,  at suitable SPL for a house.

Few of us had similiar to this in our bedrooms when we were teenagers, rattling the letterbox downstairs. LOL
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 12:41pm
I have a pair of 12 inch scoops that we use for smaller partys and pub back gardens that sort of thing. They do drop low as low as larger driver scoops but they are the same sort of sized box. The spl produced is not as good as that of a bigger driver when driven with the same amount of power.

For a house its pretty pointless as they are still massive boxes. Scalling the design down will just make the horn shorter and thus the frequencies it can hit higher. for really low note you need a really big box.

I would always go with a tuned reflex box for a house if you wanted silly volumes compared to a hifi speaker
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:28pm

Originally posted by Ibex Ibex wrote:

Just downscaled, no adjustments...
Which Eminence driver do you wanna use?

I have a pair of Celestion Truvox 1225e lying around not being used. As these are only for my Hi-Fi...I may change them at a later date...

Originally posted by bitzo bitzo wrote:

check the eminence book, it's good start point.

sorry...I should have been more clear in my first post. I have the eminence book, but am looking for other options also...

I may use a car driver thinking about it....they are only for my lounge.

Fat Barstard....Its the 'look' im after more than anything. One either side of my TV :)

Post Reply Post Reply