Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12 V Soundsystem (kinda)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 V Soundsystem (kinda)
    Posted: 18 August 2014 at 7:55pm
Hi,

Well, it's a battery powered soundsystem (2 x 12V 90 Ah), with a 220 V/ 800 W continues (2350 W peak) converter, linked to 5 sockets (IP-20) this allows the use of two amplifiers, a driverack PA and a Numark CDmix Bluetooth. With the switch of a single plug it can be used on a generator or wall socket.

As it's a modular system, in it's basic form it's just an small array of electric wall sockets:

The Cubo 12's can be attached directly to the soundsystem, so that you could take a walk with the entire system if needed:

Here with the UV-resistant cover opened and a Cubo 15 for size:

All stuff made and designed myself, including welding, painting and install. On top of that 90% of the system is made from re-used materials.

Last wednesday we used the soundsystem for the first time during the Wednesday Night Skate (WNS). Apparently 9000 skaters came by at the beginning and the end of the 1.5 hour tour through Rotterdam (about 12 and 20 minutes playtime for us respectively). At the beginning we were standing on the wrong side of the road but it gives a nice view of the soundsystem and the WNS:

For the return of the skate we relocated and decided to show of our massive light show consisting of a 10 W battery powered stroboscope:

At first we didn't use the Driverack PA but test showed that a 50 Hz, 24 dB/octave high pass allows for approximately 5- 6 dB more output before the low end amplifier (Hypex DS 2.0) clips.

Both sets were played live by P.A. Groove. Next week we'll have one digital and one analog live performance. The week after that, who know's?

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 19 August 2014 at 11:00pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2014 at 3:48am
nice!
How heavy is it all up? Was wondering how it'd get transported... how'd the bike fare with the load?

What run time do you expect from it?
And... ipad playing via bluetooth to the Numark?

mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2014 at 7:20pm
It's between 150 - something kg (340 - something lbs.), that's excluding the portable roof in case of rain but including everything otherwise needed. The heaviest part is the flightcase for the batteries at 60 kg (130 lbs.). My motto with the system is: If it's too heavy, get stronger. So if needed I can handle it all by myself but with another person it gets a lot easier.

The bike fares with the load like it's a walk in the park, as long as you're in the city. Luckily Rotterdan hasn't got hills and stuff. Apart from the bike for moving the trolley has 4 wheels with break, that allow you to easily walk outside with it (well 4" wheels-easily anyway).

After the two sets last wednesday the voltage was 12.4 V, after 45 minutes testing it was down to 12.2 V. That's a solid vibrating party bass, maximum 50 people dancing in case good 'ol ethanol is involved. Up to 100 people clearly hearing speech, etc.

Ipad via bluetooth was the idea but though the mediaplayer on Iphones/pads plays through bluetooth, the producing software didn't.

Best regards Johan
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2014 at 8:05pm
come to Capelle in Rotterdam

I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2014 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

My motto with the system is: If it's too heavy, get stronger
LOL
It looks like I'm going to be building a 150kg monster on wheels soon, and yeah... expecting to get very fit/strong this summer
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2014 at 2:45am
Some video's from the performances last week (same location, no lightshow):

@kr1sounds: I'll contact you by PM one of these days.

@bitSmasher: The cool thing is, that by the time I can finally afford a lithium-ion powerpack and a lightweight amplifier, I'll be strong and have a lightweight system ;)

Next week, probably a new location and testing if we can drive and play at the same time.

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 24 August 2014 at 2:56am
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 12:02am
For the last Wednesday Night Skate of this year, we were at a new location, which turned out practically wurse then 2,0 pi. PA Groove and Analiegt decided to join forces and create an analog techno to acid sound.

What you're seeing is:
- Hypex DS 2.0 on 2 times Cubo 12 (12ND930) for bass.
- Samson S700 on 2 times 8"/1" DIY coaxes
- Processor, DBX Driverack (Cubo 12: 50 - 125 Hz, coax full range)

Future dreams:

With another 5 decibels out of the Cubo 12's I could literally rock any place, so I will be working on an extension that does exactly that. Also I think it would be cool to have a 360 degree angle on the tops to minimise the loss of bass.

One of the first things on the program is to switch the amp for a switching amp (hilarious and minus 11 kg/ 25 lbs). Always on the program is to replace the 50 kg/ 110 lbs. battery pack for Li-ion, though before that I prefer to replace the bike by a 3-wheel tow-construction and adding close to a square meter of solar panels. Most of my regular PA will be sold for those reasons.

Best regards Johan

Edited by mobiele eenheid - 30 August 2014 at 12:05am
66DeCo99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66DeCo99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2014 at 8:51am
That is pretty awesome. Dedication to the cause. Love it!
The zone of danger
 Post Reply Post Reply