Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" version of the hd15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" version of the hd15
    Posted: 04 June 2007 at 3:29am
i will like to know if i could make the hd 15 smaller so that i can fit a 12" in it or do i have to redesign.

thank for all the help

I will not quit
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 8:56am
You could build a 12" version but it would be a quite different cab.  It would only be useable from about 100Hz upwards.
DJ Vencenzo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Vencenzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 6:22pm
i would love a 12 inch mid bass design!

for all of those like myself with 4 way systems.
CaptainCaveman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 10:58pm
Ceharden, why do you say this?
Surely the correct driver could do it?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 2:13am
It is possible to design a 12" horn in theory that will do the job very well.  However trying to fit it into a sensibly shaped cab that is buildable is another matter.

What I meant is that you can't use the HD15 layout and scale it down for a 12".  If you did however you'd get something like the Funktion 1 low mid section.  But they cross over to that at 114Hz IIRC.

To use a 12" driver for a kick section you need a longer horn which brings the problem of getting it to sound nice due to multiple folds etc.

Does that make sense? It's late!

CaptainCaveman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 1:57pm

Yeah that makes sense, although. Im probably wrong but, if the xmax of the driver is long enough than the horn length can be shorter?

Thats how the tuba24 can play so low?

tears View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2007 at 2:52am

ok a redesign for it.

I will not quit
Geigertron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geigertron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 9:45pm
Has anyone done this? I realise this is a old post, but did not see the point of starting new topic.

I'd like to build some myself, 100hz would be fine, something close to the kick bin in a tms5 maybe?

Also what driver would be best?

Geigertron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geigertron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2013 at 10:12am
Or maybe a HD212?
 Post Reply Post Reply